This Charming Man - Butchered

Spineless Swine

Are you loathsome tonight
Confirmation that Jesse cannot play guitar, only chug out a few bar chords.

Long live Johnny Marr

the band can play smiths songs just fine.i enjoyed their take on still ill, it was rather good.so i am not sure one can say this is lack of skill with this version.i think its just an attempt at something new for the song and it fails .fails badly.

It sounded great.
People need to stop living in the past.

Thought it was great. An interesting version that drew more attention to the vocals. Old stick in the mud Morrissey fans need to stop living in the past.

Its not living in the past,
but can we atleast get a proper guitar intro to the song? The intro is so beautiful, to cut it out is just bougus

I think moz wanted to sound this song soundin different(loud/punky) ot be "able" to sing it. and not playing ir in its orginal tune.so much memories/bagage prob ? im sure jese could be able to play the intro..even though there were much critism on him Im sure he could have manage to play the orginal version but was "not allowed too"
such as the same reason that he changes lyrics of songs often sung he did this diff/punky version of it,,,also since the YOR has a pretty loud sound compared to other albums he wanted that "tcm" sounded similary to fit in within the yor and southpaw album probably
for one am happy to hear him sing this particular song after such a long time (he has said repeately he would never play it again)even though yes the way johnny plays it and with tTHAT unmistakeable intro that would be excellent but
...I for one suggest: ignore the music and concentrate on moz on that one version of this song..and be happy that he sing it and cherish the orginal version(ie playing ot on your homestereo)

Last edited:
I love it. I agree with what someone said on the Radio 2 thread, it may just be a chugging power chord version, but will you hark at the vocals?! Divine is the word.

I like it anyway, we have the studio version/ Smiths bootlegs aplenty to hear the riff played by Johnny.

We've waited years for this song to go on a set list and we end up with something that sounds like a load of students having a ham fisted power chord frenzy! It's not even in tune in parts. A case of do it properly or don't bother.

I didn't think I was going to like it, but after hearing it, really and truly... I think it's fab. Musically it fits well within the context of the rest of the songs he played, and the vocal is spot-on. True, a version in the vein of Hatful of Hollow would've been magical, but given the situation I'd much prefer this over Jesse and Boz fumbling through an approximation of Marr's guitar work- no disrespect intended to either of the men, but Marr is (obviously) the better craftstman. Why try to fight that? I think Moz and the band did the right thing.

Hated it the first time I listened to it. I have now listened a further 4 times and its grown on me. Moz has clearly instructed the band to play it that way to match his vocals which are now much more aggresive and rockier than the soft voice of the 80's.

Hated it the first time I listened to it. I have now listened a further 4 times and its grown on me. Moz has clearly instructed the band to play it that way to match his vocals which are now much more aggresive and rockier than the soft voice of the 80's.

And in doing so, the magic of it has vanished.

I just felt the need to post this thread when I heard the cover on the BBCi player. I guess I just felt shocked at how unfaithful this version is to Marr's beautiful guitar work. The Smiths version just blows me away even after several hundred listens.

On reflection Moz's voice does sound superb, and yes I probably was a bit harsh on jesse as he did a passable (just) version of Still Ill.

But of course there is only one Johnny Marr

deathcab has already played last night's version.

Musically it is poor, but vocally Morrissey sounds great better than his younger days.

However lets get this correct the best guitarist Moz has worked with by a long way has been Vini Reilly from the Duritti Column.

Tags
better than the original bicycle still punctured buy a new blouse emotard crap original > new version split decision
Back
Top Bottom