Thinking of moving to New York City

I don't know if any of you would know but, are there much oppertunities for a practising artist in NY?
I've admitted now I can't go without a degree.

It depends on what you do. I am an "artist" also, and by artist I mean, someone who does generic graphic design for really boring/corporate firms.

Which I'm fine with at the moment....

and not to hijack your thread, but I'm totally looking for an apartment myself. I was originally looking at astoria/sunnyside, but now might consider parts of brooklyn. Anyone need a roomate?! :cool:

You can't stay in the US for more than three months without a valid visa unless, as someone mentioned, you find work under the counter. For a working visa you will need to prove that you have firm job offer and to get a student one you will need to prove you have enrolled on a university course. Actually enrolling at a US university as a foreigner could well cost you considerably more than over here also.

If you want somewhere a bit bigger and more exciting than Glasgow, maybe look towards London or one of the other EU capitals like Paris or Berlin.

You can't stay in the US for more than three months without a valid visa unless, as someone mentioned, you find work under the counter. For a working visa you will need to prove that you have firm job offer and to get a student one you will need to prove you have enrolled on a university course. Actually enrolling at a US university as a foreigner could well cost you considerably more than over here also.

If you want somewhere a bit bigger and more exciting than Glasgow, maybe look towards London or one of the other EU capitals like Paris or Berlin.

Only 3 months?!
So what's London like then? New York just seems so...exciting.
I had a dream that you were in my kitchen the other day :crazy:

Only 3 months?!
So what's London like then? New York just seems so...exciting.
I had a dream that you were in my kitchen the other day :crazy:

Yeah. Up to three months you can stay there without any kind of visa just using your passport (under the Visa Waiver Program) any longer than that you need to apply for one of the various visa designations.

It is exciting and i guess it's annoyning that you can't stay longer but three months is ok no? I've been a few times and loved it.

Ummm London is like....erm...ok I guess ;) Nah, it's a phenomenal city (I know, I'm biased) with tons of cool stuff. People will generally look at you funny and shift further away if you try and start a conversationwith a stranger in a public place though, unlike the rest of the UK :D

Errr ok. As far as I'm aware I wasn't in a Glasgow kitchen at any point in the last week, I've actually been in wales...so it's kind of similar in a way....can't understand what the hell anyone is saying for one thing ;)

People will generally look at you funny and shift further away if you try and start a conversationwith a stranger in a public place though, unlike the rest of the UK :D

Where have you been where people don't do that? :lbf:

The North...people chat to strangers all the time...I find it disturbing :lbf:

Maybe you're too hostile (we need a little shrink smiley)

No, No I've never mastered the art of conversing with strangers. I've never mastered the art of conversing.

In London we have the phrase 'up and coming area' which means a hellhole that has been hyped up into somewhere expensive. Applies to numerous parts that were so bad they could only get better. Usually just means transport has improved and the shopping centre and a few blocks of flats have been renewed.

I find this really annoying as I will quite easily live somewhere crap as long as it's central enough for work and has places to drink / do stuff if I don't want to travel far of an evening.

Could I live in a scummy part of New York, perhaps at the furthest reaches of the Metro, without paying over the odds?

To give an example of London prices; in the worse areas of the outer tube zones you'd get a studio appartment for £400/month but within a few miles you could be paying £500 to share a house with several other people.

Say that equals $750, what could I get if I wanted to live on my own?

Virtie, I promise that at this moment I fully intend to accompany you to New York City. Even if I do have to drug myself up on prescription drugs to get there. :p

As some other people already mentioned, you can only stay 90 days in the US on the Visa Waiver Program. After these 90 days you have to stay away for some time until you can come back for another 90 days.
And it really is 90 days, not 3 months! Only a couple of days difference but,
I know a story of a Dutch couple who didn't make it back in time because their car broke down in the desert and they returned on the 92nd day. They were allowed to leave the US but they have now been "banned" from the country for 10 years. They are really strict about this!

Back
Top Bottom