These forums: more pro-Moz or more anti-Moz?

It's not that we're anti-Moz, it's like he's a member of the family that we've fallen out with because we've had enough of their nonsense. And whether it is temporary or permanent only time will tell, although we may have a good idea how it's going to play out.

There's some definite real Moz fans here but does anyone else get the impression this website is dominated by those who have a negative opinion of him? Or are the anti-Moz folk just more zealous? If so.....why? Why waste precious time bashing someone you've likely never met or no longer enjoy? Okay you don't like him. What do you get out of the constant negativity? I'm not talking about simple criticism of his art or political views. It's the stuff that goes beyond the pale and is just plain hate.
People have a hard time letting go when they end up hating him and I can be accused of that too but mostly remain to be able to be a prick just in general.
I was far mote creative in the old chatroom.

There has always been a 'cult of personality' around Morrissey; the refusal to 'let go' is just the flip side of the old obsession, though Morrissey becomes more and more alien with each passing year.

There are many of us here who have been lurking/posting occasionally for years; I have been coming to this site since 1999. I think that the issue is that a lot of fans, myself included, no longer have the same opinion about him as we used to, even just a few years ago. He has really pressed the self-destruct button more than ever in the last year or two. So, there are many of us that are here to rubberneck the car crash, as I guess it's human nature to want to watch all of this unfold after devoting so many years, time, money, etc. on him. Sometimes it's hard to let go of certain things, even if you now find them repellent, after investing so much emotionally in them. I think that this is the case with some of us here when it comes to Morrissey. I think he is an absolute moron now, whereas I would have never imagined myself saying that even three years ago. But I can't help letting my curiosity get the better of me and rubberneck the crash!

You sum it up quite nicely. I was a devoted Smiths fan as a young teenager, contributed to Smiths fanzines, exchanged letters with other fans etc. I have followed Morrissey's solo career with varying degrees of interest, often passionately but sometimes more from a distance, but never lost complete interest in him and that makes him quite unique for me. It's very special to be able to associate his records with the different stages in my life and the different places where I used to live. It is very sad to witness the way in which it all seems to be ending, and I guess we are turning to each other for explanations or some sort of mourning about a lost friend / hero. I guess that all the people here have been PRO at some point in time, though for some that was apparently a long time ago.

There's no law to say you don't count as Morrissey fan simply because there's a period of his career you're not so keen on. For me, it just happens to be the case that we're currently in that period.

I've only just joined the forum and from what I've seen it's mixed views but mostly what I've read so far is negative. It is sad to read that people who've been fans since the 80's feel that they can no longer go to his concerts or listen to his music.

It would be great if some people looked and really thought about Morrissey's comments about Free Speech. The UK is getting worse, you can't say a thing and a lot of unfairness is going on. He's never been one to follow a crowd and those of us who see injustices being done and covered up in the UK admire him for keeping up to date with what's going on and showing that he's on the side of the oridnary Joe Bloggs in the street.

I've only just joined the forum and from what I've seen it's mixed views but mostly what I've read so far is negative. It is sad to read that people who've been fans since the 80's feel that they can no longer go to his concerts or listen to his music.

It would be great if some people looked and really thought about Morrissey's comments about Free Speech. The UK is getting worse, you can't say a thing and a lot of unfairness is going on. He's never been one to follow a crowd and those of us who see injustices being done and covered up in the UK admire him for keeping up to date with what's going on and showing that he's on the side of the oridnary Joe Bloggs in the street.
Whatever Joe Bloggs might think, his core fan base is mostly staunchly left wing so his recent comments have had the effect of a bomb going off. I don't think he factored that in to his free speech because he lives in such a bubble. I'm all for different opinions, but these are very sensitive issues and in the Age of Twitter you need to demonstrate proper knowledge, tact and eloquence if you want to swim against the tide or you will be publicly annihilated. Unfortunately he has none of those things. Added to which, I get the impression his mental health issues (and quite possibly vodka) are playing their part in these scattergun pronouncements.

What utter rubbish. Who is stopping you or anyone else saying what they want?

Free speech is also the right to pull up idiots and racists on their views. Or perhaps you think it only extends to people you agree with?

and in the Age of Twitter you need to demonstrate proper knowledge, tact and eloquence if you want to swim against the tide or you will be publicly annihilated.
I hate that mentality though, and I think moz does too, and I think that may be one reason why he will never heed public opinion and why he repeats statements which didn't go down well the first time he made them. at times one remains faithful to a cause only because it's opponents do not cease to be insipid (Nietzsche).

I hate that mentality though, and I think moz does too, and I think that may be one reason why he will never heed public opinion and why he repeats statements which didn't go down well the first time he made them. at times one remains faithful to a cause only because it's opponents do not cease to be insipid (Nietzsche).

I think he repeated statements (that he didn't make) because he was aghast at the reaction. It was like, obviously they are outraged because they didn't understand what I didn't say, I'd better say it again several times until they understand it because they will then agree because I'm Morrissey and I know best.

Peppermint is right though, it isn't a good idea to spend a week on Breitbart and then start spouting off lest you want to come across as a buffoon.

For what it's worth, I hate it too. I was just commenting on the State of Things. I don't like some of the things he's said and I don't think he's been very clever about it - he's effectively cut off his own life support system, and I'm not sure that's dawned on him yet. But I don't feel obliged to feel offended about it, he's just another voice out there making its own daft noise. He isn't going to change anything because he has zero influence these days. As another poster wisely said yesterday (and forgive me if I misquote but I can't find), I am grown-up enough to ignore the opinions of people I don't agree with.

Last edited:
I think he repeated statements (that he didn't make) because he was aghast at the reaction. It was like, obviously they are outraged because they didn't understand what I didn't say, I'd better say it again several times until they understand it because they will then agree because I'm Morrissey and I know best.

Peppermint is right though, it isn't a good idea to spend a week on Breitbart and then start spouting off lest you want to come across as a buffoon.
i don't know that Morrissey thinks he knows best. when left free of criticism he changes his mind pretty quickly, as seen when he dropped his support for Hilary Clinton. his opinions aren't set in stone, he allows himself to be changeable. I think the obstinacy that we see is partly on principal. the more people are against you, the more you stick to what you said. you HAVE to. because under those circumstances it would be a betrayal of your own self to give in to everyone else. at least that's how ive always understood his behaviour because I tend to do the same.

in any case, I find his obstinacy endearing and don't know how anyone cant.

Back
Top Bottom