Morrissey Central "THERE IS A DIFFERENT MOOD ALL OVER THE WORLD" (May 4, 2020)

A366147D-B3AF-49E5-A344-259C807ACDFF_wearyl.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Why does there seem to be so many haters of Morrissey who frequent this site? So much Moz bashing. I couldn’t imagine wasting so much time at a site devoted to someone I hated.

Morrissey Solo is a website about all things Morrissey and The Smiths. Good, bad and indifferent. Its not surprising that the comments below the threads are in the same vein.

It's because most of the Moz diehards have never separated Morrissey the artist from Morrissey the man. We were never meant to; diarising his life through song is what built the Moz 'cult of personality'.
Now, you've got a whole bunch of people who are totally disillusioned with the man but can't drop the artist because he's still got that fantastic singing voice & he CAN still be a great songwriter. So many 'irregular regulars' are waiting for that glimmer of greatness. The whole thing is also cyclical - how many people wrote Moz off and then came back on board after Quarry? How many came back on board after Dog? A lot.

Personally, I got off the "Moz bus" around the time of World Peace - I found it unlistenable and just thought "what the utter f*** is this?" to everything he was saying and doing. LIHS was equally awful. Then, bizarrely, I heard an off-cut like Blue Dreamer's Eyes and I'm back in. Moz is never, ever more than one great song away from being back to glory with his fans but sadly his own mouth has done a lot of damage to his career.

Also, Johnny Marr's public profile has skyrocketed in the past year - not only drawing more attention to the Smiths but to the enormous 'ghost' he has behind him. Look at ANY Marr clip and there are dozens of people commenting below to say "God, if only Moz was singing...". Even people who hate Moz. That's a hell of a legacy.

TLDR - cult of personality + he's still talented + untouchable Smiths legacy
He is only a voice.
Everything else about him is vile.

Isn't the tall one Unholy Trinity [surname removed]?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, looking back at some of the old interviews the persona Morrissey created, I don't think he's really changed all that much. He's gotten more bitter (I miss the "hope at the end of the tunnel" that used to permeate through much of his music), more detached from reality... but he's always been a frustrating narcissist. It's just that, as a teenager and a young man in the early '00s, I found his frustrating ways endearing and I thought he was a legitimate genius. One of the things I find painful in witnessing his downward spiral is realising that this man I thought was so clever isn't very clever after all and, outside of his songwriting brilliance, he never really was.

At this point, the only reason I continue to visit this website is a morbid curiosity to see what stupid thing my former hero will do next and, of course, out of habit. But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with Dog on a Chain, the first Morrissey studio album of original material I've genuinely liked in a long time. It deserved glowing reviews, A-list radio play, and all the rest. But the "mixed" reviews and poor sales were entirely his fault, though it had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
“this man I thought was so clever isn't very clever after all and, outside of his songwriting brilliance, he never really was”.

I was drawn to this because it’s very close to what I heard someone say about Mark E Smith, about 17 years ago.

That’s it.

It's an elder picture und it was one of the girls bd yesterday. It's not rebellious, it's just a sign of affection!

It's because most of the Moz diehards have never separated Morrissey the artist from Morrissey the man. We were never meant to; diarising his life through song is what built the Moz 'cult of personality'.
Now, you've got a whole bunch of people who are totally disillusioned with the man but can't drop the artist because he's still got that fantastic singing voice & he CAN still be a great songwriter. So many 'irregular regulars' are waiting for that glimmer of greatness. The whole thing is also cyclical - how many people wrote Moz off and then came back on board after Quarry? How many came back on board after Dog? A lot.

Personally, I got off the "Moz bus" around the time of World Peace - I found it unlistenable and just thought "what the utter f*** is this?" to everything he was saying and doing. LIHS was equally awful. Then, bizarrely, I heard an off-cut like Blue Dreamer's Eyes and I'm back in. Moz is never, ever more than one great song away from being back to glory with his fans but sadly his own mouth has done a lot of damage to his career.

Also, Johnny Marr's public profile has skyrocketed in the past year - not only drawing more attention to the Smiths but to the enormous 'ghost' he has behind him. Look at ANY Marr clip and there are dozens of people commenting below to say "God, if only Moz was singing...". Even people who hate Moz. That's a hell of a legacy.

TLDR - cult of personality + he's still talented + untouchable Smiths legacy

This is very well observed.

It's the long process of being weaned off someone you were in love with, who spoke to you and spoke up for you turning into an entitled arsehole.

Maybe he always was, but it didn't used to feel like that. The rot as a song writer started when he stopped stealing other people's stuff.

Has the world changed and have I changed? -both.

But yet as stated above, I hear Once I Saw or My Hurling Days and I'm back onside only to leave again after hearing 'The Secret Of Music' .

This is very well observed.

It's the long process of being weaned off someone you were in love with, who spoke to you and spoke up for you turning into an entitled arsehole.

Maybe he always was, but it didn't used to feel like that. The rot as a song writer started when he stopped stealing other people's stuff.

Exactly. In my experience, the general perception of casual music fans is that Morrissey has been a grade-A dickhead since the dawn of time and his fans are weird, lonely cult types - I've heard this stuff from people who otherwise love The Smiths. The whole thing is "Rubber Ring", isn't it? You idolise someone because they helped you at a point in time and then the scales fall from your eyes in one way or another. I can often tell, by the tone of some fans on here, what "stage" of being a Moz fan they are in. The ones who just can't and will not see any flaws in him..we've all been there.

I don't hate the guy. Read my post again and then look at the image above. Then browse Morrissey Central. You'll see a pattern emerging. The pattern is 'Me, me, me, me, me, me, me...'.
Please, do not forget, ever, Morrissey Central IS about Morrissey. And whenever we visit it we want to see Morrissey things, whatever.

Because we remember a man who used to speak with gravity and wisdom. A voice of a forgotten generation, reduced to a voice we’d rather forget.

Like the man himself, the nephew run website is embarrassing.

Exactly. For the last week I have been listening through the whole Smiths oeuvre while running. It's really striking how basically how song is full of iconic lines. IANADOAC is an okay album, but the lyrics consist mostly of simplifications and faux clever word salad, which will be not quoted and cherished in thirty years time.

Hey Moz, why don't you drop Munich Air Disaster and play Girl Least Likely To instead of wasting those lovely lyrics on some lousy post on your shit site?

Glad you’re looking forward to the next time he tours to support him, and your hope to hear Girl least likely to is great way to stay positive during these times.

:thumb:

To be honest, looking back at some of the old interviews the persona Morrissey created, I don't think he's really changed all that much. He's gotten more bitter (I miss the "hope at the end of the tunnel" that used to permeate through much of his music), more detached from reality... but he's always been a frustrating narcissist. It's just that, as a teenager and a young man in the early '00s, I found his frustrating ways endearing and I thought he was a legitimate genius. One of the things I find painful in witnessing his downward spiral is realising that this man I thought was so clever isn't very clever after all and, outside of his songwriting brilliance, he never really was.

At this point, the only reason I continue to visit this website is a morbid curiosity to see what stupid thing my former hero will do next and, of course, out of habit. But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with Dog on a Chain, the first Morrissey studio album of original material I've genuinely liked in a long time. It deserved glowing reviews, A-list radio play, and all the rest. But the "mixed" reviews and poor sales were entirely his fault, though it had nothing to do with the quality of the product.
I agree he may have become more bitter, but not at all detached from reality. On the contrary. Moz's awareness of the reality of the world he lives in has inspired albums like Peace and Low. Here, Moz has his two feet well planted on the planet. Some might not like how they sound, because they are quite hard to listen. But reality without the filter of poetry is really hard.

Then browse Morrissey Central. You'll see a pattern emerging. The pattern is 'Me, me, me, me, me, me, me...'.

... that’s why it’s called Morrissey Central.

Self self self, etc. Why would anyone be surprised or irked.

Exactly. In my experience, the general perception of casual music fans is that Morrissey has been a grade-A dickhead since the dawn of time and his fans are weird, lonely cult types - I've heard this stuff from people who otherwise love The Smiths. The whole thing is "Rubber Ring", isn't it? You idolise someone because they helped you at a point in time and then the scales fall from your eyes in one way or another. I can often tell, by the tone of some fans on here, what "stage" of being a Moz fan they are in. The ones who just can't and will not see any flaws in him..we've all been there.

Yes - and this is what makes "Rubber Ring" one of the most extraordinary songs ever written. He knew, all along, the kind of person he would become and he was helpless to stop it.

But the "mixed" reviews and poor sales were entirely his fault, though it had nothing to do with the quality of the product.

I’m sure a pandemic and unable to tour, show reviews etc, and BMG with their little to no promotion (especially in America) had something to do with “poor sales”.

Yes - and this is what makes "Rubber Ring" one of the most extraordinary songs ever written. He knew, all along, the kind of person he would become and he was helpless to stop it.

Don’t think even Morrissey could look into the future and gain the knowledge
that he would be different or that the world would be different.

I think most don’t think they’ll change much as they age.

I’m sure a pandemic and unable to tour, show reviews etc, and BMG with their little to no promotion (especially in America) had something to do with “poor sales”.

Well, the pandemic has hindered all musicians left and right. And Morrissey's recent ways have definitely been one of the main factors in the BMG deal going sour. In 2017 with LIHS there were two proper videos, the 7-inch releases, Korda Marshall (remember him?) praising the album, Spent The Day In Bed receiving proper airplay and promotion all round. Has BMG done absolutely anything for the new album besides putting it out? I am highly spectical of the supposedly forthcoming reissues, of which we have had no other evidence than one mention on Morrissey Central.

Morrissey Solo is a website about all things Morrissey and The Smiths. Good, bad and indifferent. Its not surprising that the comments below the threads are in the same vein.

Yes anyone is free to come to this site and comment as they want, but the decision to come on here just to be hatful is the sign of someone who is mentally ill.

Exactly. For the last week I have been listening through the whole Smiths oeuvre while running. It's really striking how basically how song is full of iconic lines. IANADOAC is an okay album, but the lyrics consist mostly of simplifications and faux clever word salad, which will be not quoted and cherished in thirty years time.
Knockabout World is perfectly structured, musically and lyrically. I quote it and cherish it; I find it impossible not to do so.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom