Morrissey Central "THERE IS A DIFFERENT MOOD ALL OVER THE WORLD" (May 4, 2020)

A366147D-B3AF-49E5-A344-259C807ACDFF_wearyl.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Yes anyone is free to come to this site and comment as they want, but the decision to come on here just to be hatful is the sign of someone who is mentally ill.

Why do Morrissey fans visit and post on a site that he has made clear he detests?

Why do Morrissey fans visit and post on a site that he has made clear he detests?

Because they think for themselves.

And maybe there is a feeling, a need to support an artist they enjoy listening to.

:tiphat:

Because they think for themselves.

And maybe there is a feeling, a need to support an artist they enjoy listening to.

:tiphat:
I yielded in the end. After 18 years.

A couple of dipsticks were running amok, here, drunk on their own hatred. An injection of sobriety, objectivity and balance was urgently needed.

Thank me later David.

Yes - and this is what makes "Rubber Ring" one of the most extraordinary songs ever written. He knew, all along, the kind of person he would become and he was helpless to stop it.

Him... or us?

Why does there seem to be so many haters of Morrissey who frequent this site? So much Moz bashing. I couldn’t imagine wasting so much time at a site devoted to someone I hated.
It's not hate. In fairness Moz is amazingly self obsessed. I suppose the messages are just harmless fun pointing out people wearing Moz tshirts as they come out of lockdown. Moz should be using his site for insights into how he records his albums, news about band members, etc. Not this random rubbish.

Yes - and this is what makes "Rubber Ring" one of the most extraordinary songs ever written. He knew, all along, the kind of person he would become and he was helpless to stop it.
Hilarious. That’s a song about fandom, and (arguably) about how it inhibits self-awareness.

Hilarious. That’s a song about fandom, and (arguably) about how it inhibits self-awareness.

I thought it was about the fleeting nature of fame & how awful it is to be loved by fans one minute & forgotten the next.

I like Morrissey! He's always said things that anyone less charismatic would never have survived, but it's not the worst showbiz crime.

I thought it was about the fleeting nature of fame & how awful it is to be loved by fans one minute & forgotten the next.

Partly referenced also in You Know I Couldn't Last:
The teenagers
Who love you
They will wake up, yawn and kill you

My reading is that the life saving aid is generously delivered and used. The fan exists by virtue of the gift, but this is later denied by the ‘clever swine’ who want to be perceived as self-contained and unaffected beings (people who’ve become what they are by themselves): the trap of the subjective mind.

Clever swine are desirable for BBC quiz shows. In missing the point of music, they might nevertheless prove to be good entertainment ... tools.

I see it as a prediction to caution the listener—as much as a resignation to his own fate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah that was my interpretation of it (the fleeting nature of fame & the fickleness of fandom), & despite these things, there are some quite poignant, even sad, lines, almost asking not to be forgotten just because maybe through the passing of time that the fan is older & possibly wiser now & doesn't need him, or his words (the rubber ring lifesaver), anymore, especially:

But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you

&

And when you're dancing and laughing
And finally living
Hear my voice in your head
And think of me kindly

&

Do you
Love me like you used to?

Well, the pandemic has hindered all musicians left and right. And Morrissey's recent ways have definitely been one of the main factors in the BMG deal going sour. In 2017 with LIHS there were two proper videos, the 7-inch releases, Korda Marshall (remember him?) praising the album, Spent The Day In Bed receiving proper airplay and promotion all round. Has BMG done absolutely anything for the new album besides putting it out? I am highly spectical of the supposedly forthcoming reissues, of which we have had no other evidence than one mention on Morrissey Central.
Well said. Bobby and Knockabout World are absolutely cracking singles that should have received considerable air play. Spent the Day in Bed proved that, when Morrissey actually releases a decent single, it will receive air play. As we all saw, most of the reviews for Dog on a Chain didn't even mention the music. I have no doubt that if Morrissey hadn't been going about sabotaging his own career and alienating a massive proportion of his fans, The Guardian and NME would have heaped praise on this album. For the first time in a long time, it deserved it.

To be honest, looking back at some of the old interviews the persona Morrissey created, I don't think he's really changed all that much. He's gotten more bitter (I miss the "hope at the end of the tunnel" that used to permeate through much of his music), more detached from reality... but he's always been a frustrating narcissist. It's just that, as a teenager and a young man in the early '00s, I found his frustrating ways endearing and I thought he was a legitimate genius. One of the things I find painful in witnessing his downward spiral is realising that this man I thought was so clever isn't very clever after all and, outside of his songwriting brilliance, he never really was.

This happens in every day life when a child grows to be a man or woman, and they then have the same realisation about their father. Just thank Moz for all the years that you needed him, & listened to him, & what he gave to you through all those years. He doesn't need chastising or bad mouthing.
Read the lyrics of Rubber Ring again.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom