There’s been a huge demand for ‘Shut up, Morrissey’ merchandise since that interview… - NME

Link from Shoplifterromo:

There’s been a huge demand for ‘Shut up, Morrissey’ merchandise since that interview… - NME

Excerpt:

This Charming Bag...

Following the reaction to a recent controversial interview by Morrissey, hundreds rushed online to purchase merchandise urging him to shut up.

This week, the former Smiths turned solo star made headlines in a divisive interview in which he discussed accusations of racism, referred to Hitler as ‘left wing’ and said that London Mayor Sadiq Khan “can not talk properly“.

So strong was the reaction, that Manchester’s Verity Longley re-started production on tote bags baring the message “Shut up, Morrissey” after they sold out last year. The 32-year-old initially designed the bags after hearing The Smiths being played too loudly from a festival near her house, but was encouraged to bring them back after being inundated with messages this week.

“Me and my friend were just, ugh, shut up,” she told the BBC. “And then it made us laugh. And we thought, actually, this is quite funny and he really does need to shut up.”

She continued: “As soon as he has an interview, I get messages, and yesterday I had quite a lot of messages. And I went, you know what, why not?

“I couldn’t believe what he said yesterday. Like all the stuff he said about the way Sadiq Khan speaks. That’s the way I speak! It’s just British.”

Ms Longley received over 500 orders in just 48 hours, and donated the £1,730 profit to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund – which helps the victims of the terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert last year.

Demand has been so high that the totes are already currently sold out, but will be available in a variety of colours here when back in stock.

Responding to critics of the bags, Ms Longley Tweeted: “For anyone who isn’t impressed by the totes a) it was just a joke to start & I only responded to people asking for more, 2) look at all the money they raised!, d) chill out, it’s a bit of fun.”

42843_verity_bag.jpg

Related item:

I'd laugh if all this publicity sees an upturn in sales for his recorded output. Somehow I doubt it will.

Well, it certainly hasn't hurt ticket sales on the last UK tour, so who knows what the future may hold.

Reckon this would never happen in Moz Angeles. Reckon no reckon why Uncle Steve hates the uk, but Uncle Steve will take your foreigner money! LOL!

The man fought through his most successful English solo tour, dragged down by his sexual assault remarks.

It’s a minority shouting, whilst quite a lot of people will be agreeing with him and buying up his music. It’s only publicity for him, he’s not a nonce, so the good ship morrissey will sail through this.

I need to order Morrissey and Smiths t-shirts for this summer. I'll be the only one at his funeral. If the priest is female it could make it a fun day.

Reckon this would never happen in Moz Angeles. Reckon no reckon why Uncle Steve hates the uk, but Uncle Steve will take your foreigner money! LOL!
He hates your president but loves his own people. You will soon be crying along with the other ex Moz fans.

Shouldn't she be spending her time looking for the man who threw acid in her face?
She's a hipster and far too old for that kind of hair and nose piercing and everything else. Ironic specs that just happen to be of the type Moz used a lot with The Smiths.

The picture is what you would expect from a 5 year old.

She's a hipster and far too old for that kind of hair and nose piercing and everything else. Ironic specs that just happen to be of the type Moz used a lot with The Smiths.

The picture is what you would expect from a 5 year old.
Jesus Christ... You'd have a stroke if you walked down SE Hawthorne street in Portland on a Friday night then.

Personally, I'd buy a shirt but for the fact that I have a moratorium on wearing advertising on my chest.
In the house, sure. I'll putter around in a ratty old concert T shirt from 1997, but never past the front yard.

Jesus Christ... You'd have a stroke if you walked down SE Hawthorne street in Portland on a Friday night then.

Personally, I'd buy a shirt but for the fact that I have a moratorium on wearing advertising on my chest.
In the house, sure. I'll putter around in a ratty old concert T shirt from 1997, but never past the front yard.
Yeah, no surprise taking into account where you live.

LOL

Yeah, no surprise taking into account where you live.

LOL
I know, I know. I left the city though. Man child types wearing their little sister's pants while carrying their typewriters or turntables down the street gets old. Also, everybody is a "photographer." Portland and Eugene can wear on you a bit, but it is beautiful country here if you basically just go to those cities for the arts.

She looks like the type that spends her days tweeting how people should be adopting Syrian refugees into their homes - while living in a completely white area where all the bohemians with money live.

I know, I know. I left the city though. Man child types wearing their little sister's pants while carrying their typewriters or turntables down the street gets old. Also, everybody is a "photographer." Portland and Eugene can wear on you a bit, but it is beautiful country here if you basically just go to those cities for the arts.
Portland was championed as the coolest place on the planet here but mostly on tv shows when some character played a character that had been there.

Always a snowflake of course.

Portland was championed as the coolest place on the planet here but mostly on tv shows when some character played a character that had been there.

Always a snowflake of course.
When some actor

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom