The Wire (TV Show)

down_in_albion

Clandestine global evil
Anybody else watch this?

I've been obsessed with this show for months despite not liking Cop shows as a general rule (the only other one I can think of that I enjoy was Homicide: Life on the Street, and that was by the same guys). It's just so superior in terms of scope, depth and ambition to 99% of TV I can see why reviewers have called it one of the greatest ever TV shows.

It manages to tackle tough issues of urban decay, the decline of the working class, the 'war on drugs', institutional shortcomings and city life without being overly preachy.

The new series looks to be shaping up just as well too :)

its based in baltimore. and the mayor doesn't like how accurate it is lol

and according to other ppl who watch it, its very accurate indeed.

its based in baltimore. and the mayor doesn't like how accurate it is lol

and according to other ppl who watch it, its very accurate indeed.

The former mayor, his name escapes me, had an article in the Guardian talking about it. I believe he is the one that the mayor in the TV show is based on. Most of the characters are composites of different people, so I can see why it has rattled some cages.

oh the old mayor is such a smarmy jerk. gives democrats a bad name. he is sadly now our governor *shakes head* marylanders are dipsticks.

Anybody else watch this?

I've been obsessed with this show for months despite not liking Cop shows as a general rule (the only other one I can think of that I enjoy was Homicide: Life on the Street, and that was by the same guys). It's just so superior in terms of scope, depth and ambition to 99% of TV I can see why reviewers have called it one of the greatest ever TV shows.

I said the same thing when I watched it. I have watched Law and Order since I its ineception and was also a faithful viewer of Homicide. When I watch the wire I see what Homicide would have been had it been presented intially on HBO leading into the Sopranos.

Last episode airs next week. I'm slightly distraught. I'll have to go back to rewatching the DVD's of series 1-4 again.

Last episode airs next week. I'm slightly distraught. I'll have to go back to rewatching the DVD's of series 1-4 again.

Which channel is this on in the UK? People keep going on about how good this show is, and I've been dying to see it for ages. Might just invest in the DVDs.

Coiff.

Which channel is this on in the UK? People keep going on about how good this show is, and I've been dying to see it for ages. Might just invest in the DVDs.

Coiff.

Sorry I'm not sure. I downloaded it, then bought the DVD's.

I had it recommended to me by my old lecturer then noticed Brooker talking about it, calling it the best TV of the last 20 years no less.

The WIRE (HBO)

Any fans?

Along with "Deadwood" it's the best show HBO has ever aired, and one of the best ever on TV, period.

The book on which it's based, David Simon's "Homicide", is also incredible. I recommend it to fans of the show.

The nice thing about the wire was the many "nods" to Homicide Life on the Street. What was even nicer was the last episode when Richard Belzar was in the bar as Detective Munch.

Did anyone else think the last series was somewhat disappointing?

I know it's been over for a while, but it's the first show that has ever stuck with me. I want to know what happens next, despite the individual character arcs being wrapped up.

The sheer scale of ambition that Simon et al were using when creating it was fantastic. Even the way they killed off the show's major character (maybe a 1/2 series late) in such a nonchalant manner, showing that regardless of the individual the 'game' goes on was brutal.

Back
Top Bottom