The whole "love me oustide" thing...

Yeah, I thought that's the best you'd be able to come up with.

It's your modus operandi...I just launched a preemptive strike to spare everyone another post from you. Yet, here you are. Don't you have another "award winning album" to record?

I am utterly, utterly depressed by how much of this I agree with, especially the bolded. Thoroughly disheartening.

Really? I don't agree at all. Other than growing older, in what way has he changed? My impression of Morrissey is not of a "surly and bitter and boxed in" person.

Really? I don't agree at all. Other than growing older, in what way has he changed? My impression of Morrissey is not of a "surly and bitter and boxed in" person.

You mean other than his musical/lyrical quality slipping, his constant petty & childish insults, his utter disregard for his fanbase, his frequent canceling of shows/cutting sets short/walking off the stage, his rehashing the same setlist for multiple tours, and his retroactive discography meddling?

When you say, as you have, that because Morrissey fans suffer his nonsense of their own free will, it becomes implicit that you feel it is OK for him to continue to behave as he does. That is a very scary implication.

But what's worse -what's far, far worse- is your repeated motif of "complaining will do no good, so what's the point."

If I need to tell you how deadeningly defeatist that mentality is, then there's already no point in trying.

You're a very intelligent person. I read your post, and I re-read it. And I think deep down you know better.

Perhaps this may be true for any other artist, but for Morrissey? Really? You honestly believe your online bitching is going to get him to suddenly have an epiphany and say, "You know what, I'm not going to write any more songs about the court case, and I'm going to start being a nicer person in general"? He may be the most stubborn person on the planet, he is NEVER going to do something he doesn't want to do (unless of course it is court-mandated).

It's your modus operandi...I just launched a preemptive strike to spare everyone another post from you. Yet, here you are. Don't you have another "award winning album" to record?

It's foolish for you to pine for the youth you never had, internet warrior.

Not exactly sure who is saying what here, but, following my quick read through the thread, it seems to be that someone's suggesting we shouldn't complain about Morrissey because it won't change anything.

I find that silly. Isn't that what discussion is? You can't filter out negative responses if you want an actual discussion. Surely praise of Morrissey is equally futile, as he'll never read it and be encouraged?

Is this forum supposed to be a near-empty cave of scattered praise? Or is it intended to be a platform of communication covering many opinions and views?

I also don't like how, when someone admits to disliking Morrissey (even only very slightly), they are told that maybe they "shouldn't be here then". That, to me, is very childish. Again, is the forum supposed to be a near-empty cave of scattered praise? No, I don't think so (a fact that has annoyed Morrissey himself, I do believe).

Morrissey has flaws. We have flaws. But we don't each have a fanbase. People should be allowed to say they dislike something Morrissey has done without being bluntly ostracised.

Shame, that is a good point you make, but I would counter with saying that just because you don't think he has treated his fanbase badly, or you think that his lyrics are actually quite good on recent albums doesn't mean that you should be dismissed as this 'mega-fan type' who obviously knows nothing.

I fit the description of that young person, as it happens. I learnt about Morrissey last year (hearing There is a Light... on Valentine's Day, actually), and since then I've purchased books, DVDs, albums, prowled the internet for old B-sides and live performances etc etc etc.

But this forum also helped me form an opinion about the man. It's great for seeing the real perspective and opinions of his fans, both positive and negative. I love the work of Morrissey. I'm a big fan of his hair. As a person, he seems funny and well-spoken.

But there are many other things, other examples of behaviour, to consider. I don't see the man as a god in the slightest, and I always feel quite strange when people refer to him as one. I wouldn't like to spend a lengthy period of time with him; a photograph, an autograph and a quick 'thank you, Morrissey' would do for me.

I'd get out of there before he could ask about my diet.

Have you read/heard any of his interviews in the last five years? He's been nothing but bitter, sniping and petulant with not a good word to say about anybody. The only people able to draw him into any kind of conversation these days are sycophants like Russell Brand who he knows won't really 'grill' him on anything and will give him an easy ride. When I read that Guardian interview (the one that sparked the whole 'subspecies' furore), I felt as though all of Morrissey's empathy and optimism had just drained away and left a sour,spiteful shell. And you can't accuse Simon Armitage of having an 'agenda' because he is a fan as much as we are.

Last edited:
Have you read/heard any of his interviews in the last five years? He's been nothing but bitter, sniping and petulant with not a good word to say about anybody. The only people able to draw him into any kind of conversation these days are sycophants like Russell Brand who he knows won't really 'grill' him on anything and will give him an easy ride. When I read that Guardian interview (the one that sparked the whole 'subspecies' furore), I felt as though all of Morrissey's empathy and optimism had just drained away and left a sour,spiteful shell. And you can't accuse Simon Armitage of having an 'agenda' because he is a fan as much as we are.

No, I don't find the content of the interviews or his tone that radically different over the years. Perhaps he became more wary of the press in 1992. I didn't find anything objectional in his answers in the Guardian interview, how many times can someone be asked the same questions? For someone who is not comfortable being interviewed it must be difficult to be continually asked the types of questions interviewers ask him. Rarely about his music, lyrics etc, mostly on 'private' issues. Why did Armitage need to ask him how much money he has or if he has a drivers license?

The Smiths break up and further court case completely broke the man known as Morrissey.

bah... The Smiths peaked at "I Want A Boy For My Birthday"... it's all been downhill since there. Actually, I'm being previous - the true highlight was the minute Johnny Marr knocked on Morrissey's door and said "hello"

No, I don't find the content of the interviews or his tone that radically different over the years. Perhaps he became more wary of the press in 1992. I didn't find anything objectional in his answers in the Guardian interview, how many times can someone be asked the same questions? For someone who is not comfortable being interviewed it must be difficult to be continually asked the types of questions interviewers ask him. Rarely about his music, lyrics etc, mostly on 'private' issues. Why did Armitage need to ask him how much money he has or if he has a drivers license?

It was Morrissey who asked about Armitage' financial worth, not the other way round. He was rude, cold and unnecessarily haughty - calling himself the real poet laureate when Armitage knows Carol Ann Duffy etc. I am saddened that people feel the need to make excuses for his nastiness. He speaks like a man who hates the whole world.

The person was a scum bag, these people should be ejected and the show Must go on. really I'm not a Morrissey apologist either... he makes me face palm regularly most recently when he did a Jerry Adams and said that Ireland should be united again :squiffy:

Do I think he was wronged in court? Yes. But gradually now for 15 years he just BITCHES AND BITCHES AND BITCHES. He's become surly and bitter and boxed in. He doesn't write like he used to, he doesn't talk like he used to, and he doesn't treat his fans like he used to.

Very well said.

The person was a scum bag, these people should be ejected and the show Must go on. really I'm not a Morrissey apologist either...

If he's gonna be so much of a baby as to throw someone out of a concert because they heckle him, the least he could do is refund their ticket.

If he's gonna be so much of a baby as to throw someone out of a concert because they heckle him, the least he could do is refund their ticket.

Why should he have to reimburse that asshole? If he wanted to be there in the first place, I'm sure he wouldn't be heckling. His boisterousness was enough to be heard on stage so it was most likely also loud enough to distract everyone around him who paid good money as well. How is that fair? You're a delight, Viva, but I must say I disagree with you here.

Last edited:
Why should he have to reimburse that asshole? If he wanted to be there in the first place, I'm sure he wouldn't be heckling in the first place. His boisterousness was loud enough to be heard on stage so it was most likely also loud enough to distract everyone around him who paid good money as well. How is that fair? You're a delight, Viva, but I must say I disagree with you here.

It was inbetween songs...and Morrissey is but a guest at the musical hall. He has no right to send his security to eject people from the crowd...afterall, they put at least $60 of their money in his pocket...the least he can do is let them tell him to 'f*** off'.

It was inbetween songs...and Morrissey is but a guest at the musical hall. He has no right to send his security to eject people from the crowd...afterall, they put at least $60 of their money in his pocket...the least he can do is let them tell him to 'f*** off'.

At first look, it seems like Morrissey didn't handle this situation with very much grace at all. However, I was not in the crowd therefor I have no idea what that man was even yelling. Obviously it was enough to get moz that upset. He's only human and of course and humans lash back sometimes. I for one cannot judge him for that.

At first look, it seems like Morrissey didn't handle this situation with very much grace at all. However, I was not in the crowd therefor I have no idea what that man was even yelling. Obviously it was enough to get moz that upset. He's only human and of course and humans lash back sometimes. I for one cannot judge him for that.

He told Morrissey to "go f*** himself" after Morrissey made a joke about the people of Hamburg, I believe...and then Morrissey told him to "go f*** himself". Anyway, at some point the heckler said "but I love you" and Morrissey told him to "love him outside".

He told Morrissey to "go f*** himself" after Morrissey made a joke about the people of Hamburg, I believe...and then Morrissey told him to "go f*** himself". Anyway, at some point the heckler said "but I love you" and Morrissey told him to "love him outside".

Ouch! Okay, there's no defending that. Is there video proof?

Back
Top Bottom