The "what does the song title mean?" thread

Young And Alive

I've always wondered why The Loop is called that. Can anyone explain?

I've also never fully understood the following:

• Alsatian Cousin (I understand it's a play by Alan Bennett or something along those lines, but I don't know what relevance that bears to the song).
  • Glamorous Glue
  • Pregnant For The Last Time (in fact, I have no idea what this entire song is about. I assume the title and the lyrics are metaphors for something? Am I just missing the point completely here (as usual)!?)
  • Death At One's Elbow

I want to add this to the list:
What is a Pashernate Love?

I want to add this to the list:
What is a Pashernate Love?

i always just took that to mean "passionate" love and Morrissey was just being silly.

i could be wrong though, although i dont think pashernate is a real word...

The Loop - I took as meaning being stuck in a cycle, repeating the same mistakes maybe.

Pregnant For The Last Time - about just that...the 'person' in the song has another baby. Not caring maybe about being like that, procreating, having sex. The song also lists things to do with babies/pregnancy eg:tiny striped socks

Pashernate Love - passionate love

Glamorous Glue - glue being sniffed to get high & the 'glamour' of that lifestyle (sarcasm)

Death At One's Elbow - death being close by

Pregnant...is the most literal of the bunch. It really is about council house mums unable to resist the temptation of a new man and getting knocked up in spite of their situation, saying to themselves "Never again! This is the last one!" The recent b-side "The Slum Mums" (the worst track of the Quarry era) is its first cousin. It's obviously an aspect of society Morrissey is interested in.

I always took The Loop to be about Morrissey going back and forth between the UK and US after his popularity exploded there during the Kill Uncle tour. He's telling us that despite his int'l solo success he's never really been away and to call him and then cheekily adds that you might not be able to get ahold of him.

Interested to hear other posters' ideas on all of these.

I've always wondered why The Loop is called that. Can anyone explain?

I've also never fully understood the following:

• Alsatian Cousin (I understand it's a play by Alan Bennett or something along those lines, but I don't know what relevance that bears to the song).
  • Glamorous Glue
  • Pregnant For The Last Time (in fact, I have no idea what this entire song is about. I assume the title and the lyrics are metaphors for something? Am I just missing the point completely here (as usual)!?)
  • Death At One's Elbow

i do believe morrissey was just having some fun and spelled out passionate the way it sounded.

"pregnant for the last time" is pretty much clear to me as is " death at ones elbow".
i always thought the loop was because it just repeats as if on a loop
i have no idea on glamorous glue.

oddly enough pregnant,the loop,and death are some of the few songs by him i really cant stand.

yes,i said it, I hate " The Loop"

:rolleyes:

i always just took that to mean "passionate" love and Morrissey was just being silly.

i could be wrong though, although i dont think pashernate is a real word...

I don't know about where you guys live, but here in Australia,
"to pash" means french kissing..... and "pashing on" same thing,
so I took it that that's what pashernate love was about,
but then again I guess it's just a playful play on words.....

"Glamorous Glue" obvious reference to cohesion.
"Nobody minds everyone lies.
Where is the man you respect and where is the woman
you love....."
I just wonder if he's talking about national pride or the lack of it,
though the title is certainly mysterious.
Ahhh, no I get it. Glue - cohesion Glamorous - that bit puzzles me.
Still, I reckon it's about how he loves LA now, instead of London,
"London is dead.............London is dead.............I'm too much in love..."

"Death at one's Elbow" certainly a song with a real feel of foreboding,
isn't it. What do you reckon:- "Oh Glenn, don't come to the house tonight,
because there's somebody here who'll take a hatchet to your
ear.
That's why. That's why.
Goodbye my love. Goodbye...."
He's obviously talking about the fear of violent repercussions in a relationship
or friendship. As in the situation where someone you are close to or were close to has upset you so much you know that if you have to be in close
proximity to them, someone is going to get hurt....
'Nuff said....

The Loop - the music is a loop and Morrissey is singing about being caught in a loop...

Alsatian Cousin - a reference to a line from the Bennett play Forty Years On. Not a compliment! The person being sung about is behaving like, erm, a "dog"...

Glamorous Glue - rumoured to be a slang expression for, erm, a gentleman's emission. Metaphor for being drawn away from London to the more glamorous (apparently) LA...

Pregnant For The Last Time - no metaphors here. Northern working-class tale. A woman who keeps getting pregnant and says it's the last time, but it never is...

Death At One's Elbow - quote from Joe Orton about when he stood next to his dad's coffin. Just means being close to death - in the song Morrissey sings about potentially murdering someone...

Don't like The Loop? Even after hearing it live last fall? Oye, Terence, you must leave. (But please don't.)

As a "breeder" I am increasingly fascinated with Morrissey's lyrics that address children, having them, not having them, the frightening protectiveness a parent feels for his or her children. It's just very interesting to hear the perspective of one who never chose to be a parent. I've been spurred to look more critically at why I chose to have children.

As for "Glamourous Glue," "Where is the man you respect, and where is the woman you love" seems to me to address how the person you knew vanishes when gripped by addiction, replaced by?

I was under the impression that "Pashernate" was a pun on somebody's name.

please log out

k thx bye

:D

Don't like The Loop? Even after hearing it live last fall? Oye, Terence, you must leave. (But please don't.)

hahaha
I knew i would get it for that statement,perhaps I should have just lied and said it was a favorite of mine.
but when i first heard it live in 92 all the way up to
"Gracing" us with it the last autumn ,i have always never liked it.

*runs and hides*

:D

Back
Top Bottom