The Virtue of Selfishness

chica

v2.0
Why is selfishness always frowned upon? Why are we expected to behave in an altruistic manner? Why risk our life to save the life of a stranger?

0098.jpg

Because god said so

But it's all the same to god, whether I live or that person I tried to save lives. The worst scenario is that we both die in the rescue mission. That can be easily avoided if I don't attempt rescuing in the first place. :guitar:

If you were mugged or being hurt would you not want a stranger to rescue you?

I could never walk by.With the exception it may endanger my own children i'd always help a stranger.Or an animal.

Why is selfishness always frowned upon? Why are we expected to behave in an altruistic manner? Why risk our life to save the life of a stranger?

Because I'm grateful when someone helps me or does me a favour. So I try to help as well. As for risking my life to save a friend's life (or a stranger's life) I'm not sure-

Because if everyone felt like that, the world wouldn't be worth living in.

Selfishness is a kin to Anarchy. I would not want to live in a world where people cared only for themselves.

No! No no no no no! Anarchy doesn't mean chaos, as many people think, and most of the least selfish people I know are anarchists.

Anarchy doesn't mean chaos, but it leads to chaos. Without an institution to hold people accountable for their actions, the world would be governed by the minority. The weak would be at the mercy of the strong.

I'm not talking about people deliberately hurting others, just about people not going out of their way to help others.

If you were mugged or being hurt would you not want a stranger to rescue you?

I could never walk by.With the exception it may endanger my own children i'd always help a stranger.Or an animal.

Because I'm grateful when someone helps me or does me a favour. So I try to help as well. As for risking my life to save a friend's life (or a stranger's life) I'm not sure-

That's not altruism, that's selfishness too. You're helping others because you expect others to help you in case of need. Altruism means helping others even when there's no benefit in it for you.

Because, at least in the U.S. this is a Judeo Christian society and the only right thing to do is to be altruistic. If I saw someone who had been shot or raped or whatever, I'd surely help them to get to a hospital. I am not a christian, but you don't have to be religious to have values. I'm trying to think of an act of selfishness. Hm, what is your idea of selfishness?

That's not altruism, that's selfishness too. You're helping others because you expect others to help you in case of need. Altruism means helping others even when there's no benefit in it for you.

but isn't there always a benefit? Even just feeling good about yourself...

People that think greed is a virtue are probably the same people that don't feel that anything needs be done about human suffering in this world.... a.k.a. many politicians and business men.

I'm not talking about people deliberately hurting others, just about people not going out of their way to help others.

Well it would be a bit random wouldn't it?I mean if I help an old lady whose fallen over or something I don't automatically expect I'm going to need assistance the next day!

I truly hope your comments are in jest.What if one of my children were drowning or were hit by a car?Should the child be left to drown incase the current may carry you off...or should the driver drive on?

One day you may need the help of a stranger and i hope your unkind comments don't come back to haunt you.

I once pulled a nine year old boy out of the sea near me.He wasn't too far out but he had a panic attack.The look on his parent's face was reward enough.

Well it would be a bit random wouldn't it?I mean if I help an old lady whose fallen over or something I don't automatically expect I'm going to need assistance the next day!

I truly hope your comments are in jest.What if one of my children were drowning or were hit by a car?Should the child be left to drown incase the current may carry you off...or should the driver drive on?

One day you may need the help of a stranger and i hope your unkind comments don't come back to haunt you.

I once pulled a nine year old boy out of the sea near me.He wasn't too far out but he had a panic attack.The look on his parent's face was reward enough.

I assume you weren't risking your life when you saved the boy?

Of course, the driver would have to stop in case they hit someone.

I'm looking for an answer, I'm not persuading anybody to change their moral standpoint. We were all socialized to help people in need, but my question was 'why?'

Whatever I write here won't change my future. I may need help someday, and I may get it or not get it. But whatever happens, it won't be because I made unkind comments here.

Tags
jellyfish no poll? me want voting! oh chica *sigh* :p sex yawn
Back
Top Bottom