The Veils

I discovered this wonderful band following a recent trip to New Zealand. They have two albums available on Rough Trade - "The Runaway Found" & "Nux Vomica", the first of which features 4 songs produced by Bernard Butler of Suede fame. They play huge tunes with lyrics which contain surprising emotional depth considering their singer is only 19 years old. Check 'em out! Any of the panel heard of them/like 'em?

I've heard a few of their songs but I think I would need to have a few more listens before I could get into them. It's the sort of music which need to grow on me.

They are getting played on the radio a fair bit over here. I do like them, especially the singers Nick Cave style voice on the song 'Advice For Young Mothers To Be'

I love the Veils, saw them live last month in Amsterdam.
What a voice Finn Andrews (he's 22 now ;) ) has! Unbelievable!
Not Yet and Lavinia are my favourite songs.
Finn Andrews is the son of Barry Andrews btw, who played keyboards in XTC and Shriekback.
His voice - you either love it or hate it.
It's the same as Brett Anderson for instance, some people run for cover :eek: when they hear him sing, and I love his voice as well.

I've only heard "Runaway found", and of course "Lavinia" is a great song. I couldn't listen all day though to his voice :rolleyes:

found it difficult to listen to the latest record but the runaway found is a great album. i got into them after i couldnt stand them when they supported delays in liverpool in 2004. i subsequelty downloaded then bought the runaway found because i changed my mind once i heard it in studio quality hehe:)

Thank god there's others here who like them; I've mentioned them several times here and no response before now, so I'm relieved. I absolutely adore the Veils - I've been nothing short of addicted ever since a friend recommended them to me about six months ago (can't believe I was that late). Both of their albums are powerful and moving, but I prefer Nux Vomica since its such a beautiful progression in their sound. Looking forward to seeing them in January/February/March when details of their dates here are announced.

Back
Top Bottom