The Ukrainians - 20th anniversary vinyl re-issue of Smiths covers for Record Store Day 2013

Press release:

We thought you might be interested to know that British band The Ukrainians have a limited issue (1000 copies only) 20th anniversary re-issue of their acclaimed 1993 4-track 'Pisni Iz The Smiths' EP coming out for the first time on vinyl (12 inch, of course) for Record Store Day 2013 (Sat 20 April).

Tracks featured include their versions of 'Bigmouth Strikes Again', 'The Queen Is Dead', 'Meat is Murder' and 'What Difference Does It Make?'

The first 500 copies are on orange vinyl and are numbered 1-500. The remaining 500 copies are on black vinyl.

You can order the record from http://www.the-ukrainians.com/shop
Please remember to add postage costs if ordering from outside the UK

The Ukrainians will be playing an in-store gig on the day at Jumbo Records, St. John's Street Centre in the band's hometown of Leeds (England) @ 4.15pm.

Please contact me if you would like any further info or a copy of the record for review, etc (as it is a limited issue we are only sending out copies on request).

Meanwhile if you can mention the release on your websites or tell friends who may be interested, it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Len Liggins
http://www.the-ukrainians.com
http://www.youtube.com/ukrainianszirka

Last edited:
Re: Article: The Ukrainians - 20th anniversary vinyl re-issue of Smiths covers for Re

Much as I love The Wedding Present I never liked The Ukrainians or understood what it was all about to be honest.

I remember some awful new know nothing Radio One DJ, a coloured gentleman now broadcasting on North Norfolk Digital, slagging off the Wedding Present for their Hit Parade project in 1992.

They released a 7" single on the first Monday of each month for a year to match Elvis Presley's record of number of singles released in a year in the UK. So limited were the releases that the first few were fetching £50 each in the after sales market, but the bubble soon burst. I got all mine signed by David Gedge thinking they might one day be worth something, but this was before I discovered he signed all and anything, and his signature is only slightly less rare that the bloke who signs the banknotes.

These days all twelve can be bought for a handful of shiny sixpences.

Last edited:
Re: Article: The Ukrainians - 20th anniversary vinyl re-issue of Smiths covers for Re

I remember some awful new know nothing Radio One DJ, a coloured gentleman now broadcasting on North Norfolk Digital, slagging off the Wedding Present for their Hit Parade project in 1992.

They released a 7" single on the first Monday of each month for a year to match Elvis Presley's record of number of singles released in a year in the UK. So limited were the releases that the first few were fetching £50 each in the after sales market, but the bubble soon burst. I got all mine signed by David Gedge thinking they might one day be worth something, but this was before I discovered he signed all and anything, and his signature is only slightly less rare that the bloke who signs the banknotes.

Bastard!

I have a few of those 7" singles, you got my hopes up and smashed them back down all in one paragaraph.

Bastard!

I have a few of those 7" singles, you got my hopes up and smashed them back down all in one paragaraph.

The first three were the valuable ones, but instead of cashing them in I held on. By September of that year the value had dropped through the floor.

I hate racism but is saying coloured racist?

I had a black step mum for eleven years, up until about 20 years ago and she referred to herself as coloured. Honestly, if that's the worst that somebody gets called then your life's probably alright.

I hate racism but is saying coloured racist?

I had a black step mum for eleven years, up until about 20 years ago and she referred to herself as coloured. Honestly, if that's the worst that somebody gets called then your life's probably alright.

Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., said "The term 'colored' is not derogatory, [the NAACP] chose the word 'colored' because it was the most positive description commonly used at that time. It's outdated and antiquated but not offensive."

Not that she'd know, only being a black woman in a position of great power and responsibility in the United States' foremost civil rights organisation.

English radio broadcasters have always been made to look foolish over their taste in music. Radio music will always be dominated by the childrens tunes coming out of USA. I remember MTV and their indie show "120 Minutes" celebrating The Wedding Present in 1992 for their monthly releases and waiting for the latest video for the latest song was a very big deal at the time and a great memory for me personally. I remember the presenter Paul King who seemed to be a fan and even commented on the video for "Brassneck" saying the man dancing in and out of the picture reminded him of Morrissey as Paul King thought it was about Moz. I doubt that very much now as David Gedge and his girlfriend Jessica were VIP guests on the Morrissey UK tour many years ago.

For me The Ukrainians project is just not filled with magic and the unique qualities that The Wedding Present had in their heyday. I know they are still about and touring more than ever but just like with most music it somehow fails to move me now. Everything has its time and place and music in general was so much better in the past when it meant something. The Ukrainains is another typical example of a project that gets cult status and bores the hell out of me.

The Radio One guy I mentioned who slagged off the Weddoes was one of a new bunch of DJs who came and went from the station very quickly. This was before the Smashie and Nicey bloodletting that followed.

At the time TOTP was going through a ratings slump and he laid it squarely at the feet of Gedge and similar artists. I always made sure I watched TOTP when I knew the latest Hit Parade single was out. Flying Saucer was my favourite performance.

Apparently what was really needed was more Stock Aitken Waterman pap.

The Radio One guy I mentioned who slagged off the Weddoes was one of a new bunch of DJs who came and went from the station very quickly. This was before the Smashie and Nicey bloodletting that followed.

At the time TOTP was going through a ratings slump and he laid it squarely at the feet of Gedge and similar artists. I always made sure I watched TOTP when I knew the latest Hit Parade single was out. Flying Saucer was my favourite performance.

Apparently what was really needed was more Stock Aitken Waterman pap.

And here is your fave TOTP performance by The Weddoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dhaOJb0AWQ

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom