The Track That Changed My Life: Steve Wall on The Smiths' 'This Charming Man' - Hot Press

As part of our 45th Birthday special – in which we celebrate the 45s that shaped our world – some familiar musical faces select their favourite single since the launch of Hot Press in 1977...

Steve Wall on The Smiths' 'This Charming Man':
When I heard it first on the radio, it really stood out from everything else at the time. Johnny Marr’s guitar sound and his playing is so unique. I love how the guitar weaves in and around the vocal and plays constantly throughout the track.
The tempo is quite fast and the drums and bass drive it with a rhythm like The Supremes’ ‘You Can’t Hurry Love’. You can literally sing that over it. But add Marr’s jangly riffs and it sounds like The Byrds playing Motown. What sets it apart from a Motown pastiche is Morrissey’s languid vocal delivery and his intelligent and wry lyrics.

A new form of indie guitar music was born that would go on to influence so many bands. You could sound poppy, but still be cool and alternative.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading in Square Peg (1984) that Morrissey wrote it as a gay love song.

I just felt towards all these figures in popular music trying to be gay and outrageous - why does it always have to be so incredibly shocking? This Charming Man was the most revolutionary single in popular music in that area - I'm really quite convinced of it, because it was all just completely natural about male relationships; it was nice and natural, but it wasn't banal.

"Why pamper life's complexity's when the leather runs smooth on the passenger's seat"?

"What sets it apart from a Motown pastiche is Morrissey's languid
vocal delivery and his intelligent and wry lyrics."

That's why a lot of the jangle stuff didn't go to far.
They didn't have the lyrics, they just had the guitar.

Thank you, Ketamine... I do not know what Steve Wall was thinking about, but even with this version with the bass on top and the vocal version of This charming man, if I play both videos at the same time... they never match. I don't know, "This Charming Man" and ‘"You Can’t Hurry Love’" don't have much in common and I can't make them match.

I was just reading in Square Peg (1984) that Morrissey wrote it as a gay love song.

I just felt towards all these figures in popular music trying to be gay and outrageous - why does it always have to be so incredibly shocking? This Charming Man was the most revolutionary single in popular music in that area - I'm really quite convinced of it, because it was all just completely natural about male relationships; it was nice and natural, but it wasn't banal.
Well it doesn't matter what Square says because has never !! Said that !!

Well it doesn't matter what Square says because has never !! Said that !!

He was interviewed in Square Peg & that's what they printed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom