The Thrills - interview in The Independent with lots of Morrissey anecdotes (May 24, 2023)

Excerpt:

The Thrills had been delighted to go for dinner with Morrissey. It was on a hazy afternoon two decades ago that the young Dublin band met with their celebrity fan at the Pig ’n Whistle on Hollywood Boulevard, a famed expat hangout in Los Angeles. It was going well. They were laughing, joking. Morrissey, who had suggested the group give him a call if they were passing through his adopted home, even floated the possibility of The Thrills supporting him on tour. But then things suddenly took a turn when the band’s guitarist made the faux pas of asking the Smiths frontman if he might be open to becoming an honorary Thrill.

“We knew Morrissey liked our song ‘One Horse Town’. He had put the demo version on the mixtape of his most recent tour,” recalls singer Conor Deasy. “We’re chatting, and Daniel, our guitarist, goes, ‘Morrissey, we’re just finishing up the mix to [the official studio version] ‘One Horse Town’. Would you like to do backing vocals?’ Morrissey said [adopts aloof ‘Moz’ voice], ‘I don’t do backing vocals’. There was a slight pause and then Daniel says, ‘What about singing the last chorus?’ And Morrissey goes, ‘I don’t do last choruses’. That was our introduction to Morrissey.”

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s true, M doesn’t do backing vocals for anyone else. Nor does he do lead vocals on somebody else’s album, ask Damon Albarn. Why is that?
I guess he just doesn't like playing second fiddle to anyone. This is probably also why he usually buries the guests on his own records very low.

Last edited:
It’s true, M doesn’t do backing vocals for anyone else. Nor does he do lead vocals on somebody else’s album, ask Damon Albarn. Why is that?
He also turned down Bowie, and Bernard Butler's offer of the music that became Yes. I think, in the case of Bowie and Damon at least, that the songs being offered (Goodbye Mr. Ed, Circle of Friendz) just weren't very good. Yes is pretty majestic though and I'd have loved to have heard what Moz might have done with it. But, if I recall correctly, I think he said it was in the wrong key for him and he felt it wouldn't suit his voice.

To be fair Moz did 'call' this one pretty well. They did indeed become one of the biggest Irish bands since U2. They have that 60s California sound that Moz does seem to love.
He has of course championed several bands that never really made it. You can't call 'em all.
The biggest mistake out of my mind is when Moz fell out with Brett Anderson and dismissed him with a trademark Moz pithy putdown:

"Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs in his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie."

Brett found it funny and creative. As we know Suede went on to create some of the best albums ever, including Dog Man Star, The Blue Hour, and Autofiction. Fantastic band with a stunning frontman and lyricist. Brett on stage is the definition of charisma.

To be fair Moz did 'call' this one pretty well. They did indeed become one of the biggest Irish bands since U2. They have that 60s California sound that Moz does seem to love.
He has of course championed several bands that never really made it. You can't call 'em all.
Are you sure? I at least had never heard of them before, and don't think I had ever heard anything by them either...

I wasn’t talking about success or predictions. I was saying they’re crap.

Last edited:
He did backing vocals with The Smiths. Jeanne. The version where Sandie Shaw took the lead vocal.

Backing for himself when he recorded though. But, there it is.

The biggest mistake out of my mind is when Moz fell out with Brett Anderson and dismissed him with a trademark Moz pithy putdown:

"Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs in his bed. He'll never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie."

Brett found it funny and creative. As we know Suede went on to create some of the best albums ever, including Dog Man Star, The Blue Hour, and Autofiction. Fantastic band with a stunning frontman and lyricist. Brett on stage is the definition of charisma.

Well Acton, Brett seems to have started with the ‘pithy put down’ first ….

Anyway here’s a photo of them together after their supposed feud … which there doesn’t seem to be one ….

Well Acton, Brett seems to have started with the ‘pithy put down’ first ….

Anyway here’s a photo of them together after their supposed feud … which there doesn’t seem to be one ….

Well, that was a curious and pretty amusing read.

So Moz made those comments in response to some very unflattering comments about him that Brett Anderson may or may not have made... it's unfortunate the magazine didn't reproduce these supposed comments!

That picture btw of them together, I had seen it a couple times and had never noticed it was Brett Anderson with him lol

I think that was just Moz being queen bitch. The Angie Bowie line was pretty funny. I'm sure David must have chuckled at that one. Suede were the best British band of the 1990s. Moz of course would never admit that.

I think that was just Moz being queen bitch. The Angie Bowie line was pretty funny. I'm sure David must have chuckled at that one.

Suede were the best British band of the 1990s. Moz of course would never admit that.

Was he ever asked? Anyway, he covered one of their songs. So that’s as close as we’ll get.

Well, that was a curious and pretty amusing read.

So Moz made those comments in response to some very unflattering comments about him that Brett Anderson may or may not have made... it's unfortunate the magazine didn't reproduce these supposed comments!

That picture btw of them together, I had seen it a couple times and had never noticed it was Brett Anderson with him lol
Brett said something along the lines of "Morrissey is so shy, it's not charming, it's rather pathetic" or words to that effect. I'd say neither Brett nor Moz meant anything vindictive in anything they ever said about each other. Robert Smith slagged off so many bands that eventually his wife told him to stop doing it.

I think that's part of his diabolical plan; the kiss of death ;)

Why should they?
The interview isn't about Morrissey. It's about The Thrills 20 years ago.
Not sure if you're up to date or not but every Morrissey mention of a band that likes him is followed by a tired old disclaimer that although they like his music they abhor his politics. Do catch up.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom