the swindon setlist that never was

crotty32

I was at Swindon last night with my wife, on the way out i asked the sound guy for his set list which he was kind enough to give to me, it was:

Charming man, Black cloud, Carol, How soon is now, Gangland, Cemetery, Paris, Teenage Dad, Nowhere fast, Irish blood English heart, Why dont you, One day good, Elbow, Crashing bores, Is it rearly, Loop, Education, Im ok, with an encore of First of the gang.

Was up the front, Charming Man sounded great, he looked trim an in good form, the atmosphere up the front was great loads of friendly fans. We travelled from East London feel sorry for the guys from all over he the states and Canada, who expressed nothing but concern for Morrissey. Get well soon Mozza!

It is a very tired looking list.
Take a couple of years off,Morrissey.

I would have loved to have seen this :straightface: I've only seen Morrissey once. Some people have too much of a good thing.

I agree, especially after only ever hearing one song live. I'm not complaining about last night, by the way, it's just that I really think that people shouldn't moan too much about the songs he plays and just be glad they get to see him. I think it was a pretty good setlist, and could have been a great gig.

Last edited:
I would have loved to have seen this :straightface: I've only seen Morrissey once. Some people have too much of a good thing.

I'm thinking of how other comparable artists on "never ending tours"e.g.Bob Dylan,Elvis Costello and so on
can constantly change set lists,arrangements etc
whilst Moz does seem stuck.

That was all.

I'm thinking of how other comparable artists on "never ending tours"e.g.Bob Dylan,Elvis Costello and so on

That was all.

Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello don't really impress me to the point of being "comparable" to Morrissey. To each his own, but I'd rather see Moz doing "How Soon is Now?" than Dylan singing "Working Man Blues #5."

That was all.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I'm not overjoyed by the new setlist but he's changed about a third of the songs from the tour earlier in the year. Would love to hear Cemetery Gates and Nowhere Fast.
Main problem is that although he seems really keen to explore the different parts of his Smiths catalogue, he has no enthusiasm to do likewise with his early/mid period solo stuff.

Bit of an exaggeration there. I'm not overjoyed by the new setlist but he's changed about a third of the songs from the tour earlier in the year. Would love to hear Cemetery Gates and Nowhere Fast.
Main problem is that although he seems really keen to explore the different parts of his Smiths catalogue, he has no enthusiasm to do likewise with his early/mid period solo stuff.

I don't think it was e.g when Costello plays a residency,he will play pretty widely varying setlists over a few nights. Or he will have a tour in one part of the year with one group then with another or solo or with an orchestra etc..

Also, i know that quantity is not necessary a sign of quality but EC will play 2.5 hours thus allowing him to explore more fully his back catalogue than M.
(oh,and he never cancels shows :p )

I don't think it was e.g when Costello plays a residency,he will play pretty widely varying setlists over a few nights. Or he will have a tour in one part of the year with one group then with another or solo or with an orchestra etc..

Also, i know that quantity is not necessary a sign of quality but EC will play 2.5 hours thus allowing him to explore more fully his back catalogue than M.
(oh,and he never cancels shows :p )

Now Morrissey with an orchestra is something I'd like to hear :nopity: :D

Now Morrissey with an orchestra is something I'd like to hear :nopity: :D

I second that emotion :thumb:

The possibilities of what Moz could do live are great.
Orchestra,with solo piano,with a different backing band ,a residency where he played completely different sets etc...

I second that emotion :thumb:

The possibilities of what Moz could do live are great.
Orchestra,with solo piano,with a different backing band ,a residency where he played completely different sets etc...

I think it's not too unrealistic when he gets older..Although wanting him to become a second reincarnation of Sinatra has weighed heavily on me throughout the years :D

I think it's not too unrealistic when he gets older..Although wanting him to become a second reincarnation of Sinatra has weighed heavily on me throughout the years :D

But the thing is he is OLDER,you can see it in the performances.
Costello saw the age/rock dilemma coming and managed to sidestep it.
It might be too late for Moz .

But the thing is he is OLDER,you can see it in the performances.
Costello saw the age/rock dilemma coming and managed to sidestep it.
It might be too late for Moz .

Well if he switches to becoming a sort of neo-crooner, I don't really think age would matter much at all. No one (of worth :rolleyes:) called Sinatra a 'sell out' or a 'miserable old man.' I think it would just further his legendary stature if he focused more on his voice than on pop music. But we can't plan his career for him :o

Well if he switches to becoming a sort of neo-crooner, I don't really think age would matter much at all. No one (of worth :rolleyes:) called Sinatra a 'sell out' or a 'miserable old man.'

EXACTLY my point. :)

Looks like a pretty good setlist to me! I'd love to see him sing those songs. (especially the Loop and Crashing Bores)

Back
Top Bottom