The Support Acts

Dave2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything is better than Kristeen Young

Mona song started off well, then started sounding a bit like Kings of Leon. Cool video though.

saw brother at MOHO manchester and Mike Joyce was there then

Marion were great. Saw them support Radiohead as well.

The best Morrissey support act by a country mile... Your Body Lies is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard...

Your job seems better than mine
Cause you're at home most of the time

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Support Acts 2011

This may have been discussed already in one of the tour threads... sorry, but I couldn't find it...

What are everyone's thoughts on the support acts

Dave

Sorry Dave. I missed the thread already started.

I do like Flats. I've started following their work. The other two not so much.

What do you see in them?! Seriously. I'm willing to 'get them', with a little discerning guidance. ;) I guess they're a challenge, a bit like The Fall. I've no idea what they sing about.

What do you see in them?! Seriously. I'm willing to 'get them', with a little discerning guidance. ;) I guess they're a challenge, a bit like The Fall. I've no idea what they sing about.

I just like them. It's nice to see a band that young name-checking Crass, yet dissociating themselves from the hackneyed 'post-punk revival' that's been going on for far too long, in my opinion. So far, from what I've seen, they seem to be doing things right. We'll see if recognition makes them pretentious. Perhaps you disagree with my points, but that's enough for me. They're not like a lot of the dross that other kids their age are putting out, at least to my ears.

I just like them. It's nice to see a band that young name-checking Crass, yet dissociating themselves from the hackneyed 'post-punk revival' that's been going on for far too long, in my opinion. So far, from what I've seen, they seem to be doing things right. We'll see if recognition makes them pretentious. Perhaps you disagree with my points, but that's enough for me. They're not like a lot of the dross that other kids their age are putting out, at least to my ears.

Thanks, mcrickson. I don't disagree. This is the first I've heard of them and approaching them is like risking patting a strange alarmed cat, hissing and back-arched! :guitar: I'll reserve judgement until I've peered from a few angles. :)

Damien Dempsey can only loosely be referred to as support for the Hop Farm Festival, but the Irish Times today features a decent interview with him and an account of some film work he's recently been involved with. It also mentions Morrissey - just:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0319/1224292217180.html

Mona is Okay, just judging by this song. The other two BLOW judging by those songs.
The only opening acts for Morrissey I have ever paid any attention to were The Smoking Popes, which was the best opening act he has ever has. The second would be Gallon Drunk. Well Tiger Army were Okay, I guess they would be third. All the other I remember have sucked to me. Just my opinion.

Red Cortez wasn't particularly anything special. I remember hearing Doll & the Kicks somewhere and being mildly interested, but I didn't see them live.

MONA are currently on tour with The Joy Formidable so I will be seeing them next Thursday night in Philly. I'm guessing its the same band anyways.

In a strange coincidence, Girl in a Coma and The Smoking Popes are playing a show together in Philly in May.

Back
Top Bottom