The Suede thread for Suede things

SPM is a terrible judge of character.
I think Moz was jealous that Bowie absolutely loved them, and they are much more exciting that M right now, seem a lot nicer too

More Suede, this time live on Virgin Radio.

Love it! That looks like the special fan party they just had. They raffled offf 100 free tickets, and the fans got a performance and then the band mingled with everyone and posed for photos. Richard was photobombing people lol, everyone who went said it was so much fun, Neil talked about hair care, I think lol.

Love it! That looks like the special fan party they just had. They raffled offf 100 free tickets, and the fans got a performance and then the band mingled with everyone and posed for photos. Richard was photobombing people lol, everyone who went said it was so much fun, Neil talked about hair care, I think lol.

Brett puts so much effort into their shows!

Where's a good place to start with Suede? I ask because my partner and I were sat in a bar in Stockport last night, and a 90s Britpop came on, which I knew, but didn't know was Suede until my partner told me it was. The song was Beautiful Ones, and I like it - it's just one of those songs one hears frequently in the background of life, but may not necessarily know who played it.

Anyway, as I like that song, where's a good place to go next for a newcomer to Suede's music?

Thanks in advance!

Where's a good place to start with Suede? I ask because my partner and I were sat in a bar in Stockport last night, and a 90s Britpop came on, which I knew, but didn't know was Suede until my partner told me it was. The song was Beautiful Ones, and I like it - it's just one of those songs one hears frequently in the background of life, but may not necessarily know who played it.

Anyway, as I like that song, where's a good place to go next for a newcomer to Suede's music?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to The Insatiable Ones, lol, that is what Suede fans call each other. Morrissey actually covered that song.
It depends.......the first two albums were with guitarist Bernard Butler and people really seem to feel and hear a difference between when he was in the band and when he was not. Those would be Suede and Dog Man Star, a lot of people love Dog Man Star.
The album Suede has -
Metal Mickey
The Drowners
Animal Nitrate
So Young
You might recognize Metal Mickey and Animal Nitrate but I think you will like the entire album
My Insatiable One is the B Side of The Drowners, but it's on a reissue of Suede, listen to that song too.
I am not sure you would recognize anything from Dog Man Star, but We Are The Pigs and The Wild Ones are from that album
The post-Butler album Coming Up was a huge success and it has Beautiful Ones on it; Trash, Film Star and Lazy which you may recognize
The new album is really good too, Autofiction

1. You could go to youtube and look for the most recent live US shows which are really fun and exciting and they did a good mix of things, short sets because the tour was a double bill so you aren't committing a lot of time to each show and the songs will start to become familiar to you
2. You could make a playlist on Spotifiy or again just go to youtube and look for the songs I listed then dive into the albums
3. Or you can start with albums and I would suggest this order; Suede, Coming Up, Autofiction, Dog Man Star and then whatever else in whatever order because by then I think you will be able to pick your own! Happy listening!

There are some really old demos on youtube I thought I posted here, songs that never got released, and they are really good, still looking for them.
Found one!!

Welcome to The Insatiable Ones, lol, that is what Suede fans call each other. Morrissey actually covered that song.
It depends.......the first two albums were with guitarist Bernard Butler and people really seem to feel and hear a difference between when he was in the band and when he was not. Those would be Suede and Dog Man Star, a lot of people love Dog Man Star.
The album Suede has -
Metal Mickey
The Drowners
Animal Nitrate
So Young
You might recognize Metal Mickey and Animal Nitrate but I think you will like the entire album
My Insatiable One is the B Side of The Drowners, but it's on a reissue of Suede, listen to that song too.
I am not sure you would recognize anything from Dog Man Star, but We Are The Pigs and The Wild Ones are from that album
The post-Butler album Coming Up was a huge success and it has Beautiful Ones on it; Trash, Film Star and Lazy which you may recognize

1. You could go to youtube and look for the most recent live US shows which are really fun and exciting and they did a good mix of things, short sets because the tour was a double bill so you aren't committing a lot of time to each show and the songs will start to become familiar to you
2. You could make a playlist on Spotifiy or again just go to youtube and look for the songs I listed then dive into the albums
3. Or you can start with albums and I would suggest this order; Suede, Coming Up, Autofiction, Dog Man Star and then whatever else in whatever order because by then I think you will be able to pick your own! Happy listening!

There are some really old demos on youtube I thought I posted here, songs that never got released, and they are really good, still looking for them.
Found one!!

Thank you for the comprehensive list, Redacted. It can be intimidating getting into an artist with such a big back catalog (as I'm finding with my exploration of the Cure's music after only listening to their hits for the years previous), so I appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

Thanks in advance!
The album Suede has -
Metal Mickey
The Drowners
Animal Nitrate
So Young

3. Or you can start with albums and I would suggest this order; Suede, Coming Up, Autofiction, Dog Man Star and then whatever else in whatever order because by then I think you will be able to pick your own!
Thank you for the comprehensive list, Redacted. It can be intimidating getting into an artist with such a big back catalog (as I'm finding with my exploration of the Cure's music after only listening to their hits for the years previous), so I appreciate you taking the time to put this together.
You are very welcome, I am happy to help! :)

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
If you really like Beautiful Ones, you should just start with the whole Coming Up album... It's a great album and most of the songs has that same indie-pop-glam sound...

Thanks in advance!
everyone recommends 'dog man star' as being one of the best albums ever, but from their 90s albums i prefer 'coming up'. i often wonder if ive heard their songs before, during the 90s, when i was a teenager, and just didnt realize it, because as soon as i hear 'trash' or 'saturday night' or 'lazy' im immediately taken back to the 90s and the whole way it felt. i see pictures of young kate moss in vogue magazine float before my eyes, and can smell the pungent scents of vanilla and body shop perfumes that people wore back then, and i can even imagine the way the air felt then on summer evenings, as though somehow the music of suede's Coming Up has become a component of that very air or maybe that air has become a component of suedes Coming Up and it carries the feel of it in it's sound right up to this day, and the freshness of that feeling so that it never feels dated or stale. i think i would remember if i had heard it though, i can remember all the dumb oasis songs that i heard in the 90s. and even pulp, which i listened to then and liked, doesnt have that same aura of nostalgia for me.

and yes, the beautiful ones is a great song. pretty sure it was written with neil in mind, and you should check out the video if you wanna see some REAL eye candy. tee hee, EVERY song should look like that :love: :love: :love:

autofiction is a little tryhard (which is why redacted likes it, because she's a little tryhard). all the songs seem to circle around meaning but lack any cohesive core of meaning. the last three albums before autofiction (which redacted isnt familiar with because, take it from me, shes only pretending to be keenly interested in suede to be cool like me)--bloodsports, night thoughts, and the blue hour--are all superb and rank up there with the best of suede in my opinion. they're a bit less poppy, more sophisticated, dealing with more complex, tangled themes of identity and relationships and man in his environment, befitting men of a certain maturity and sophistication, if you're into that sort of thing (which i very much am--both the music and the men).

autofiction is a little tryhard. all the songs seem to circle around meaning but lack any cohesive core of meaning. the last three albums before autofiction --bloodsports, night thoughts, and the blue hour--are all superb and rank up there with the best of suede in my opinion. they're a bit less poppy, more sophisticated, dealing with more complex, tangled themes of identity and relationships and man in his environment, befitting men of a certain maturity and sophistication, if you're into that sort of thing (which i very much am--both the music and the men).
I very much agree about Autofiction. On first listen its enjoyable, but it lacks depth... And I also very much agree about Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour! Fantastic albums... Bloodsports was nice as a comeback and has great songs - but for me it sounds a bit unfocused...

I very much agree about Autofiction. On first listen its enjoyable, but it lacks depth... And I also very much agree about Night Thoughts and The Blue Hour! Fantastic albums... Bloodsports was nice as a comeback and has great songs - but for me it sounds a bit unfocused...
yeah, you're right, bloodsports is a bit unfocused. i just sort of view it as a collection of great songs.

Dog Man Star fanboy here.

My favourite album ever. Dark, beautiful, overblown, melodramatic, daring, a little clumsy and absolutely brilliant in every way. I love this album. ❤️

Dog Man Star fanboy here.

My favourite album ever. Dark, beautiful, overblown, melodramatic, daring, a little clumsy and absolutely brilliant in every way. I love this album. ❤️
Me too… Best album ever - by any artist!

I’ve got the album title tattooed on my back… and the lyrics for The Wild Ones on my shoulder…

There was quite a bit of criticism for Dog Man Star too tho; it was called prententious, pompous, overblown, etc. I did and do feel it was a bit overdone, heavy and clumsy. Bernard Butler didn't even like it. When I first heard Heroine, I thought it was Rush at first and I didn't know why they were being playing on an alternative station. Brett says he was dropping a lot of acid when they made this album and I think it would make sense on acid.

But, different people like different things, it's not right or wrong.
I really do like Autofiction, Brett said it was stripped down and it is, but if you like Dog Man Star, I can see how Autofiction might seem a bit bare.

Back
Top Bottom