The Suede thread for Suede things

To be totally honest and not wishing to start an argument, but whilst I love almost everything Suede have ever released, I serious hate 'This World Needs a Father' and the shit song, 'Sam'. I read on the Suede forum that a couple of people think 'This World Needs a Father' sounds similar to songs off Strangeways, clearly they are mistaken. But we are all entitled to our own opinions?

Do anyone of you Suede nerds/connoisseurs know why the stunning and outright brilliant “This World Needs a Father” was excluded from Sci-fi Lullabies? It would probably have been the best song on the album. Top 3 at least.

I don't know why, but I would have preferred "This World Needs a Father," "Painted People," and "Sam" included over most of the songs following "This Time" (which is stellar, IMO).

Last edited:
To be totally honest and not wishing to start an argument, but whilst I love almost everything Suede have ever released, I serious hate 'This World Needs a Father' and the shit song, 'Sam'. I read on the Suede forum that a couple of people think 'This World Needs a Father' sounds similar to songs off Strangeways, clearly they are mistaken. But we are all entitled to our own opinions?
I've always found the lyrics to 'This World Needs a Father" quite good and moving. It's never reminded me of anything on Strangeways. I'd have to think more on it but I can't think of any Suede songs that remind me directly of Smiths/Morrissey songs.

Hi SuedeMoz, the three songs you mentioned are literally the only Suede songs from that period I hate. But then life would be very boring if we all liked the same.

I agree, I can't see any similarities between Suede and Smiths songs. I thought the person who suggested 'This World Needs a Father sounds like a Strangeways song was talking rubbish, but then some else then agreed with them! Which made me question myself?

f*** me, Sam is also absolutely amazing. What’s wrong with some people, have they not got ears to hear with or hearts that beat? Both boast vintage vocal melodies that rip you to shreds and lyrics that speak to us, the misfortunates. And Sam especially drips with Englishness.

They reached #2 in the album chart yesterday - their highest position since the 1990s, so they've obviously picked up a bit of a head of steam with this campaign. I'm guessing it will outsell their last couple of albums, too, judging by week 1 sales. They've sold out one night at Brixton Academy and just added an extra date.

fun fact - this world needs a father is the only Suede song that both Bernie and Richard play on.

I think suede are great only got into them around 2010 properly

I'm on their FB page a few years ago some guy said "I love suede been a fan before they ever had a song out but let's be clear Brett is nothing like Bowie .
Suede have never done anything original or broken new ground like Bowie or Smiths. Brett is no way as iconic as Bowie or Morrissey but it doesn't matter .
They make fantastic records that at times have touched the greatness of their heroes
And post 45 Brett is better than Bowie and M that age .he makes them both look like old men "
Or something like that I agree .

M up to 35 was the best .
Bowie when young was the best ever
But once they got Yankee fame and cash they got less and less great .
Brett made do with uk fame and kept a hunger .
Live brett wipes the floor with both of 'em post 45.

I think suede are great only got into them around 2010 properly

I'm on their FB page a few years ago some guy said "I love suede been a fan before they ever had a song out but let's be clear Brett is nothing like Bowie .
Suede have never done anything original or broken new ground like Bowie or Smiths. Brett is no way as iconic as Bowie or Morrissey but it doesn't matter .
They make fantastic records that at times have touched the greatness of their heroes
And post 45 Brett is better than Bowie and M that age .he makes them both look like old men "
Or something like that I agree .

M up to 35 was the best .
Bowie when young was the best ever
But once they got Yankee fame and cash they got less and less great .
Brett made do with uk fame and kept a hunger .
Live brett wipes the floor with both of 'em post 45.
Brett is 54, and it's really time to retire the US vs UK nonsense

Screenshot 2022-09-24 7.36.44 PM.png

To be totally honest and not wishing to start an argument, but whilst I love almost everything Suede have ever released, I serious hate 'This World Needs a Father' and the shit song, 'Sam'.
I agree 100%... It would have been a mistake to include 'This World Needs a Father' and 'Sam' on Lullabies... 'Duchess' is very weak as well...

Fascinating interview on Sodajerker songwriting podcast with Brett Anderson

My God, FB links that work!
Some great recent gig snaps by @dneuer over on his FB.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom