"The story of NME in 70 (mostly) seminal songs" includes Morrissey and The Smiths (March 7, 2022)

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Excerpt:

24. The Smiths, ‘How Soon Is Now?’ (1984)
Pre-Smiths, Morrissey was a regular correspondent to the NME letters page and sent in copious reviews in the hope of getting published. By the time the dank Doppler rockabilly lament ‘How Soon Is Now?’ emerged on the B-side of ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, however, the paper hung on his every word. As the totemic act of primordial indie, The Smiths replaced The Jam (RIP) as the definitive NME band and perennial sweepers of Awards boards – they’d be voted Best Group by readers until they split, as reliably as Margaret Thatcher would win Creep Of The Year.

33. Morrissey, ‘Suedehead’ (1988)
What is this, the New Morrissey Express? In the wake of The Smiths’ split it certainly seemed so as, solo, Morrissey became something of an NME obsession, appearing on the cover of the 40th anniversary edition and having entire cover stories devoted to his annotated touring Polaroids. “It became like a fan magazine,” writer Andrew Collins told Pat Long, but all that was to change in 1992, when NME criticised Morrissey’s appearance at Madstock wrapped in a Union flag and singing ‘National Front Disco’. He wouldn’t speak to the paper for the next 12 years.

⭐Here it is⬇️
From Alain Whyte's FB page....I had never heard the details of this controversial Union Jack flag and Morrissey's brazen what?!$* ...can anyone explain what M's offense was? It doesn't make any sense to me that this moment on stage was the beginning of the smear campaign of his reputation, as far as NME goes...thanks in advance

The story is in here somewhere, but the entire thing is interesting if you have time and haven't seen it already.

From what I remember from the documentary I posted, it went something like this

An NME journalist, can't remember his name, explained it
He said NME was definitely out to get M, this was not his imagination
M had been doing the thing with the flag at prior concerts
Anything seen as nationalist, like a flag, was seen as racist
(someone may want to fill in the blank here because I can't remember why)
A small part of the Madness fanbase are nationalist skin heads
Madness hates it but they can't do anything about it
This journo had the cover story the month it happened, it was Kylie Minogue and it got bumped for this, the cover literally was printed before this Madstock even happened because they knew M would do this with the flag as he had been, it was not a one time thing to cater to the skinheads or anything, as some people claimed

I don't understand that either. Can someone explain it?
Essentially they think by “draping himself” in Union Jack that he’s dog whistling to neo nazi nationalists that happened to be in the crowd. The same Neo Nazi’s that actually pissed the band off and resulted in ending their set early. They same Neo Nazi’s throwing shit at the band out of homophobic animosity towards Moz. If anything Moz taking what they love and twirling it around is quite humorous when you throw in the homophobia.

It's funny how they say he was "wrapped in a Union flag and singing National Front Disco." But it was Glamorous Glue if I remember correctly
I'll never understand how wrapping yourself in the flag of your own country is racist.
It was during Glamorous Glue and I believe a member of the audience threw the flag.
However the nme aren’t interested in these type of details.
This list is more an inclusive box ticking exercise than anything else.

posted this on here many times over the years,its a simple case of if your face fits and morrisseys certainly doesnt.i also said why has so many american front porches have their flag flying whereas in britain that would be racist,britain the softest touch on planet earth.
I've been to the US maybe 10 or 12 times in my life and I've always found it unsettling to see their flags blowing in the garden breeze. One garden/porch after another. Flags are nice and I love my country's flag but not in my garden. Ok maybe once a year but not every day.

I've been to the US maybe 10 or 12 times in my life and I've always found it unsettling to see their flags blowing in the garden breeze. One garden/porch after another. Flags are nice and I love my country's flag but not in my garden. Ok maybe once a year but not every day.
We’re also a country that played a big role in defeating the Nazi’s, with a lot of vets who fought in those wars. While I’ve never been an “America, f*** yeah” type or care about flags, finding it “unsettling” just means you’re a pearl clutcher. It’s like finding a newspaper in someone’s drive way out here.

We’re also a country that played a big role in defeating the Nazi’s, with a lot of vets who fought in those wars. While I’ve never been an “America, f*** yeah” type or care about flags, finding it “unsettling” just means you’re a pearl clutcher. It’s like finding a newspaper in someone’s drive way out here.
Thanks for the insult. I had to look that one up.

Making your trolling a bit obvious, there.
So basically the paragraph doesn't appear in the article you said it did? You are really proving my point about you never giving straight answers. And I don't have to troll to know who you are - you post more than almost anyone it seems (although rarely about music).

So basically the paragraph doesn't appear in the article you said it did? You are really proving my point about you never giving straight answers. And I don't have to troll to know who you are - you post more than almost anyone it seems (although rarely about music).

Yes - it does. Maybe you should try reading the article.

Yes - it does. Maybe you should try reading the article.
Maybe the scan you linked to doesn't include the whole article? I've read it three times and there isn't a paragraph that begins 'MORRISSEY WAS told of...'

Maybe the scan you linked to doesn't include the whole article? I've read it three times and there isn't a paragraph that begins 'MORRISSEY WAS told of...'

I took a screenshot of the article from that link.

It's in the original NME article from August 1992.

View attachment 79799

Here's one of the writers defending their decision on a music forum & saying Moz could have killed the story by speaking to them:

View attachment 79800

The "racist imagery" is literally this:

View attachment 79801
I've gone back to this post just to be clear. I'm interested in the first bit 'MORRISSEY WAS told...' that looks like a part of an article. I'm trying to find that article. It's not in the NME August 1992 article that you linked to, so where is it from? You say a screenshot? But of what, where, when?

I've gone back to this post just to be clear. I'm interested in the first bit 'MORRISSEY WAS told...' that looks like a part of an article. I'm trying to find that article. It's not in the NME August 1992 article that you linked to, so where is it from? You say a screenshot? But of what, where, when?

It's from the 1992 NME article.

20220316_130814.jpg

20220316_130751.jpg

@Ketamine Sun ~ so this article from 1992 in NME...
1.is it fair journalism in your measured perspective?
2. Do you think Morrissey was playing with fire, trying to expand his demographic of music fans and went too far?
3. Is the truth too difficult to ascertain due to preexisting bias on NME's part?
4.Was Morrissey's perception reasonable regarding the "four years" of NME trying to "end" his career?

~ Thanks Ket ~for your time~ in advance😊

👨‍👨‍👦
Moz has to go over there and make explanations to them WTF who are they the Sheriff of Nothingham FFS. self delusional nutters:crazy:
maybe all the pap they wrote is why the
NME is down to being a blog begging for charity.
and
FFS Peter Hooton? another unknown commie twat chiming in about knowing what the 'lads' wear👞

doesnt look like a lad to me, more like a chubby pee wee herman‼️

:hammer:

@Ketamine Sun ~ so this article from 1992 in NME...
1.is it fair journalism in your measured perspective?

nah. Then again, what’s fair about journalism?

2. Do you think Morrissey was playing with fire, trying to expand his demographic of music fans and went too far?
lol, no. Just using a bit of British culture in his art that he finds interesting. As we all know, he finds romance in crime and the sweet and tender outsider attractive, kicking against the mundane, something he’s done before 92.

3. Is the truth too difficult to ascertain due to preexisting bias on NME's part?
Truth? preexisting bias?
I’m not understanding your question, sorry. Though, bias can hinder one’s ability to see things clearly.
4.Was Morrissey's perception reasonable regarding the "four years" of NME trying to "end" his career?

I’m not Morrissey, so I don’t know how he exactly came to that ‘perception’.

Though critics haven’t always been kind to him.

But If I felt someone was trying to hurt me in anyway, then my perceiving of a threat would naturally lead me to not trust that person or persons, so I think it would be a reasonable position for anyone to take.

~ Thanks Ket ~for your time~ in advance😊

time is like a dream ...

A suedehead was an outgrown skinhead, but outgrown only in the hair sense. An outgrown skinhead who was slightly softer. Not a football hooligan. Back in ’71, when youth cults were on the rampage in Manchester, there was a tremendous air of intensity and potential unpleasantness. Something interesting grabbed me about the whole thing. I don’t think there were any good guys; everybody had several chips on several shoulders. There was a great velocity of hate. Everybody got their head kicked in. It’s made me what I am today.

- Morrissey, Spin, March 1988.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom