"The story of NME in 70 (mostly) seminal songs" includes Morrissey and The Smiths (March 7, 2022)

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Excerpt:

24. The Smiths, ‘How Soon Is Now?’ (1984)
Pre-Smiths, Morrissey was a regular correspondent to the NME letters page and sent in copious reviews in the hope of getting published. By the time the dank Doppler rockabilly lament ‘How Soon Is Now?’ emerged on the B-side of ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, however, the paper hung on his every word. As the totemic act of primordial indie, The Smiths replaced The Jam (RIP) as the definitive NME band and perennial sweepers of Awards boards – they’d be voted Best Group by readers until they split, as reliably as Margaret Thatcher would win Creep Of The Year.

33. Morrissey, ‘Suedehead’ (1988)
What is this, the New Morrissey Express? In the wake of The Smiths’ split it certainly seemed so as, solo, Morrissey became something of an NME obsession, appearing on the cover of the 40th anniversary edition and having entire cover stories devoted to his annotated touring Polaroids. “It became like a fan magazine,” writer Andrew Collins told Pat Long, but all that was to change in 1992, when NME criticised Morrissey’s appearance at Madstock wrapped in a Union flag and singing ‘National Front Disco’. He wouldn’t speak to the paper for the next 12 years.

Following that kind of reasoning, Morrissey peaked in 1988. Why give an NME article that much credence?
All the people butthurt about Johnny should really stop this, you look like assholes.

Not to mention Alain Whyte recently posted his own account of the situation on his FB. Mentioned how the skinheads had a bunch of homophobic animosity aimed towards Moz and they were throwing change and other various shit trying to hurt them the whole show until eventually Morrissey had enough.
⭐Here it is⬇️
From Alain Whyte's FB page....I had never heard the details of this controversial Union Jack flag and Morrissey's brazen what?!$* ...can anyone explain what M's offense was? It doesn't make any sense to me that this moment on stage was the beginning of the smear campaign of his reputation, as far as NME goes...thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-185812.png
    Screenshot_20220314-185812.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
⭐Here it is⬇️
From Alain Whyte's FB page....I had never heard the details of this controversial Union Jack flag and Morrissey's brazen what?!$* ...can anyone explain what M's offense was? It doesn't make any sense to me that this moment on stage was the beginning of the smear campaign of his reputation, as far as NME goes...thanks in advance

The NME wanted Morrissey to give them an interview, he refused, they made up the allegations expecting him to defend himself, he didn't.

Shortly after that the editor Danny Kelly left & didn't tell his successor Steve Sutherland that it was made up. Steve apparently asked if it "was a gay thing", but didn't get an answer.

Oh, I was, like, tooooootally surprised that beside the court case in 1996, the NME fiasco was not discussed yet here on Morrissey-solo, at all! How come???

Not only was it Glamorous Glue, I wouldn’t call what he did with it ‘wrapped in’ it.

4:37 in ...

‘hate in a hurry’

Hadn't seen that in full before.

I was one of those melts who went on the Sunday. Quite a few Morrissey fans there on the Sunday as, from my fading memory, it was announced after the Saturday had sold out/ before Morrissey had been announced as the special guest. We all looked a little lost

PS Madness were excellent. Think the amount of people 'skanking' to One Step Beyond created a measurable earthquake on the Richter Scale.

The NME wanted Morrissey to give them an interview, he refused, they made up the allegations expecting him to defend himself, he didn't.

Shortly after that the editor Danny Kelly left & didn't tell his successor Steve Sutherland that it was made up. Steve apparently asked if it "was a gay thing", but didn't get an answer.
If I had more time, I could probably find out for myself, but could you give me the source(s) for your first sentence here?

If I had more time, I could probably find out for myself, but could you give me the source(s) for your first sentence here?

It's in the original NME article from August 1992.

20220315_182140.jpg

Here's one of the writers defending their decision on a music forum & saying Moz could have killed the story by speaking to them:

20220315_183011.jpg

The "racist imagery" is literally this:

download-2.jpg

It's in the original NME article from August 1992.

View attachment 79799

Here's one of the writers defending their decision on a music forum & saying Moz could have killed the story by speaking to them:

View attachment 79800

The "racist imagery" is literally this:

View attachment 79801
You made it sound as though the NME had made up the details after or because Morrissey had refused them an interview. What I don't understand is that in the Observer Magazine, Details, and Select interviews later that year Morrissey didn't take the opportunity to address this. Could you give a link to where I can read the NME August 1992 article in full?

You made it sound as though the NME had made up the details after or because Morrissey had refused them an interview. What I don't understand is that in the Observer Magazine, Details, and Select interviews later that year Morrissey didn't take the opportunity to address this. Could you give a link to where I can read the NME August 1992 article in full?
Is this the same Morrissey and the same NME that had his CD on the cover, and who also entered into discussions regarding Drive In Saturday on the cover? I mean, if the relationship as described above had deteriorated to such an extent that they weren't talking, then why did he have his cover CD, and then asked again? Who needs who here, who was doing the asking?

They did make it up because he'd been refusing to give interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the same Morrissey and the same NME that had his CD in the cover, and who also entered into discussions regarding Drive In Saturday on the cover? I mean, if the relationship as described above had deteriorated to such an extent that they weren't talking, then why did he have his cover CD, and then asked again? Who needs who here, who was doing the asking?

He wasn't talking to them. They still wanted to use him for stories. After 12 years he thought they'd changed. And that turned out to be a mistake.

They did make it up because he'd been refusing to give interviews.

Thanks. Sorry I'm a bit tired but where does it say the ''MORRISSEY WAS told..." paragraph that you quoted? And now you say he was refusing to do interviews, so I ask again what is your source for this? And do you have any idea why he didn't use the next few interviews with other magazines to refute the NME?

Is this the same Morrissey and the same NME that had his CD on the cover, and who also entered into discussions regarding Drive In Saturday on the cover? I mean, if the relationship as described above had deteriorated to such an extent that they weren't talking, then why did he have his cover CD, and then asked again? Who needs who here, who was doing the asking?
I've avoided arguing with Karen because I do want to be on Morrissey's side, and she never gives a straight answer anyway - facts perhaps but not direct answers. I don't want press agent bullshit, I want facts!

acton was it not one from each year which was why oasis and blur were combined.
Aha now that makes sense. Actually why wasn't A-Ha listed?!

I think 1984 was listed twice, once for The Smiths and once for Smiley Culture (who I never heard of).

I'll never understand how wrapping yourself in the flag of your own country is racist.
At the same time I never understood why people fly their country's flag in their front garden. Is it in case they get amnesia in the sea and need to remember they are a spy that should have stayed out in the cold?

Thanks. Sorry I'm a bit tired but where does it say the ''MORRISSEY WAS told..." paragraph that you quoted? And now you say he was refusing to do interviews, so I ask again what is your source for this? And do you have any idea why he didn't use the next few interviews with other magazines to refute the NME?

The very end.

They touch on the lack of access in the 1992 article...

20220315_194713.jpg

He answered questions about it in other articles.

I've avoided arguing with Karen because I do want to be on Morrissey's side, and she never gives a straight answer anyway - facts perhaps but not direct answers. I don't want press agent bullshit, I want facts!

Making your trolling a bit obvious, there.

Aha now that makes sense. Actually why wasn't A-Ha listed?!

I think 1984 was listed twice, once for The Smiths and once for Smiley Culture (who I never heard of).
smiley culture was the reggae dj,spoke very fast,you might know police officer,didnt last long,tragically died at 48.

Geri Spice did it in 1997 and they lapped it up, if you'll pardon the imperceptible innocuous innuendo.

union-jack_glamour_22feb17_getty-DEF.jpg
posted this on here many times over the years,its a simple case of if your face fits and morrisseys certainly doesnt.i also said why has so many american front porches have their flag flying whereas in britain that would be racist,britain the softest touch on planet earth.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom