"The story of NME in 70 (mostly) seminal songs" includes Morrissey and The Smiths (March 7, 2022)

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Excerpt:

24. The Smiths, ‘How Soon Is Now?’ (1984)
Pre-Smiths, Morrissey was a regular correspondent to the NME letters page and sent in copious reviews in the hope of getting published. By the time the dank Doppler rockabilly lament ‘How Soon Is Now?’ emerged on the B-side of ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, however, the paper hung on his every word. As the totemic act of primordial indie, The Smiths replaced The Jam (RIP) as the definitive NME band and perennial sweepers of Awards boards – they’d be voted Best Group by readers until they split, as reliably as Margaret Thatcher would win Creep Of The Year.

33. Morrissey, ‘Suedehead’ (1988)
What is this, the New Morrissey Express? In the wake of The Smiths’ split it certainly seemed so as, solo, Morrissey became something of an NME obsession, appearing on the cover of the 40th anniversary edition and having entire cover stories devoted to his annotated touring Polaroids. “It became like a fan magazine,” writer Andrew Collins told Pat Long, but all that was to change in 1992, when NME criticised Morrissey’s appearance at Madstock wrapped in a Union flag and singing ‘National Front Disco’. He wouldn’t speak to the paper for the next 12 years.

Mark Beaumont isn't a huge fan IIRC.
Regards,
FWD.

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Excerpt:

24. The Smiths, ‘How Soon Is Now?’ (1984)
Pre-Smiths, Morrissey was a regular correspondent to the NME letters page and sent in copious reviews in the hope of getting published. By the time the dank Doppler rockabilly lament ‘How Soon Is Now?’ emerged on the B-side of ‘William, It Was Really Nothing’, however, the paper hung on his every word. As the totemic act of primordial indie, The Smiths replaced The Jam (RIP) as the definitive NME band and perennial sweepers of Awards boards – they’d be voted Best Group by readers until they split, as reliably as Margaret Thatcher would win Creep Of The Year.

33. Morrissey, ‘Suedehead’ (1988)
What is this, the New Morrissey Express? In the wake of The Smiths’ split it certainly seemed so as, solo, Morrissey became something of an NME obsession, appearing on the cover of the 40th anniversary edition and having entire cover stories devoted to his annotated touring Polaroids. “It became like a fan magazine,” writer Andrew Collins told Pat Long, but all that was to change in 1992, when NME criticised Morrissey’s appearance at Madstock wrapped in a Union flag and singing ‘National Front Disco’. He wouldn’t speak to the paper for the next 12 years.
The NME ...a jobs program for big nosed, pretentious twats

I will always remember the NME fondly for coming up with my favourite ever photo caption, which was:

"The Primitives: they sunk with Trace"

Take out Eilish Billy and Taylor Slow and add in Gary Numan 'Are 'friends' electric?' and Blancmange 'Living on the ceiling'. And find room for The Cure 'Just Like Heaven' and DM's 'World In My Eyes'.

used to read it but never bought it,good old w h smith.
quick look at the new morrissey express then using my telescopic arm to reach for the top shelf for a quick look at razzle or readers wives,those were the days my friend.

Take out Eilish Billy and Taylor Slow and add in Gary Numan 'Are 'friends' electric?' and Blancmange 'Living on the ceiling'. And find room for The Cure 'Just Like Heaven' and DM's 'World In My Eyes'.
acton was it not one from each year which was why oasis and blur were combined.

‘... I may feel slightly sad
But I won't cry

1647290444292.gif

used to read it but never bought it,good old w h smith.
quick look at the new morrissey express then using my telescopic arm to reach for the top shelf for a quick look at razzle or readers wives,those were the days my friend.
I’m just like you... A tight sod.
Very rarely did I buy it either.
Can’t remember if it was a Tuesday or Wednesday NME came out, but it was always a mad dash to WHS searching for any Moz news .
A deathly scramble

It's funny how they say he was "wrapped in a Union flag and singing National Front Disco." But it was Glamorous Glue if I remember correctly.

It's funny how they say he was "wrapped in a Union flag and singing National Front Disco." But it was Glamorous Glue if I remember correctly.

Not only was it Glamorous Glue, I wouldn’t call what he did with it ‘wrapped in’ it.

4:37 in ...

‘hate in a hurry’

Not to mention Alain Whyte recently posted his own account of the situation on his FB. Mentioned how the skinheads had a bunch of homophobic animosity aimed towards Moz and they were throwing change and other various shit trying to hurt them the whole show until eventually Morrissey had enough.

None of Marr's prolific and storied career except for a Smiths song? Did I blink and miss it?

The small john f*cking dumbhead marr isn't listed? Come on! Why? Everybody says he's the greatest and his successful career over M, and not even named there? It's really laughable

I'll never understand how wrapping yourself in the flag of your own country is racist.

None of Marr's prolific and storied career except for a Smiths song? Did I blink and miss it?
Following that kind of reasoning, Morrissey peaked in 1988. Why give an NME article that much credence?

Back
Top Bottom