The story of 'Hand In Glove' - Johnny Marr on Radio X

It irks me when people just refer to Morrissey as a singer or lyricist. His ear for melody is the main reason The Smiths were so great. His singing defined the songs, on top of Marr's amazing music.

Agreed. No one writes vocal melodies like he does. I remember when suede broke up Bernard thought he had killed the band but I remember reading, either Brett or Matt and I’m paraphrasing here, that he didn’t give credit to the top line and it’s appeal to the general public. To what the milkman whistles etc. Marr is a humongous talent but morrissey made those song unique and popular as well with his melodies not just his lyrics. Marr of course knows this but it irks me when it doesn’t get mentioned in articles

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:

writing lyrics, please observe a genius :lbf: at work:

hmmmmm.

HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO:guitar:

HI HI HI HI:guitar:

HELLO HI HELLO HI:guitar:

HI HELLO HI HELLO:guitar:

'masterpiece' finished.:bow:

Does it top anything on Marr's album, too? if so, why don'y you say so?

Maybe but its basically a rehash of There Is A Light, which was a rehash of a Patti Smith song, but the name of that song fell out of my head.

It only quotes that keyboard part from There Is a Light once and it's a very clever & deliberate way of getting people into it and talking about it. The Patti Smith song is Dancing Barefoot and is also a cool reference.

"ARMATOPIA":censored:

armatopia. not utopia, or dystopia. not even cometopia. nooooooo it has
to be "Armatopia".

what a MUSICAL CATASTROPHE!!! :head-smack:

one follows the other.:clap:

I love him but he looks so awkward and self-conscious with a mic in his hands.

Loving the new single, a new direction musically, lyrics still not up what Morrissey used to deliver. Awaiting the predictable nonsense from the usual suspects

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

nobody on the internet has been able, so far, to decipher the lyrics for the latest Comet
Musical Catastrophe, "Armatopia":crazy:
except for the usual ' na na na na na' which is part and parcel of all Comet 'compositions':lbf:
and the usual comet:guitar:

from the video it appears than an "Armatopia" is a future world where everyone is an
aimless twat.:rock:

nice song. a little bit to steady though and could have used say a guitar solo in the middle bridge to give it a bit of climax before it came back to that steady beat and melody. i did like the momentum of the verse though and it was catchy

:rolleyes:

nobody on the internet has been able, so far, to decipher the lyrics for the latest Comet
Musical Catastrophe, "Armatopia":crazy:
except for the usual ' na na na na na' which is part and parcel of all Comet 'compositions':lbf:
and the usual comet:guitar:

from the video it appears than an "Armatopia" is a future world where everyone is an
aimless twat.:rock:
But it's not off of the "Call the Comet" album is it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom