The story of 'Hand In Glove' - Johnny Marr on Radio X

Angie Marr should be given plenty credit, because she told Johnny to sprinkle some Iggy on it.
It had to have that Iguana on it, so it would inspire Moz to write some innovative lyrics and really create somethin' special.

Last edited:
I'd never heard it before. I've heard the story of Hand in Glove several times but something about seeing Johnny act it out with such excitement ("I had my legs up", "Moz, listen!") just had me beaming. Imagine getting a knock on the door and standing there in your socks whilst you're gifted Hand in Glove. Surreal.
he did a thing in front of an audience round about april may and he used that line,its a line that gets a laugh so you can use it more than once.

But more importantly, you need to find a person with an original mind, voice, and vision
to turn those guitar tunes into music history.

not so easy.

:cool:
Exactly. Without Morrissey's voice and vocal melodies and lyrics, Hand In Glove would be a piece of debris from the explosion of several other tunes, given Marr's words.

There was a deteriorated pop music scene back in 1981/1982/1983. The birth of a tune like Hand in Glove must have caused some impact. I wasn't there. My first contact with TS was with the poignant The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Needless to mention JM brilliant arrangements or Morrissey's beautiful and intricate lyrics, completely strange tones. For me, what has been done by bass guitarist Andy Rourke will always bring this song to a special place! One can even describe the meaning of music but as a critic said many years ago "when you get closer to the music box, is because you believe !"

Exactly. Without Morrissey's voice and vocal melodies and lyrics, Hand In Glove would be a piece of debris from the explosion of several other tunes, given Marr's words.
It irks me when people just refer to Morrissey as a singer or lyricist. His ear for melody is the main reason The Smiths were so great. His singing defined the songs, on top of Marr's amazing music.

That riff Johnny played when answering the question about echo. Wow. Just shows that him and Moz could still be a match made in heaven. None of the musicians Moz employs could hold a candle (or even a match) to Johnny. The only one who came remotely close was Alain.

This is beautifully told by Marr. What I so enjoyed about his Biography was the obvious love he still feels for The Smiths. It comes thru in everything he does. It's so special how he describes coming up with the riff, and hell bent, driving to Morrissey's to "get it down." Thanks, Marr. You the man.

It irks me when people just refer to Morrissey as a singer or lyricist. His ear for melody is the main reason The Smiths were so great. His singing defined the songs, on top of Marr's amazing music.

If it was just that but there are honestly people who arrive at this viewpoint

I know, I find it surprising how often this is overlooked. His ear for melody is also quite unconventional: look at the early version of IBEH done by Alain's band ('Not Bitter But Bored'), or the vocal melodies written Johnny on his solo stuff. They just don't have the idiosyncratic quirks and hooks that Morrissey's do. I also think he worked out quite early on how to write melodies that suit his crooning style and has used this to great effect.

If it was just that but there are honestly people who arrive at this viewpoint

I wonder, have they ever heard Johnny's "lyrics"?

Nice article, even using Google Translate, his eloquence comes through!
Yes, and badass version of HSIN (even despite singing). It totally swings and grinds. This is the kind of joyous, off-piste playing that we just don't get with Morrissey's current band.

Yes, and badass version of HSIN (even despite singing). It totally swings and grinds. This is the kind of joyous, off-piste playing that we just don't get with Morrissey's current band.

Absolutely right about the music, Morrissey's band just turns the tremelo up full blast and there's no finesse at all. I also quite like little Johnny's gruff, manly vocals - what a cute man!! Morrissey needs to call him right away - for diet and fitness tips!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom