The story behind the live version of "Used to be a Sweet Boy"?

MozIsGod

"Used to be a Sweet Boy" is one of my favorite songs from the Vauxhall era and has been overlooked at least from a live setting. They played it on a few dates during the '95 Boxers tour and then it was dropped and hasn't been played live since. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

I think I read something many years back about how they were never satisfied with the live performances which is why it was dropped but I'm sure my memory is a bit foggy. If you can find a live version of this somg online, check it out. It's rare but nice to hear.

gordyboy9

GAME OF DEATH.
some songs are just very hard to sing live,vocally and emotionally.your right,good song.

Last edited:

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
"Used to be a Sweet Boy" is one of my favorite songs from the Vauxhall era and has been overlooked at least from a live setting. They played it on a few dates during the '95 Boxers tour and then it was dropped and hasn't been played live since. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

I think I read something many years back about how they were never satisfied with the live performances which is why it was dropped but I'm sure my memory is a bit foggy. If you can find a live version of this somg online, check it out. It's rare but nice to hear.
You are probably remembering the Bridgewood, Taylor & Boorer interview: Morrissey's Vauxhall and I at 20 for Mouth Magazine 2014 - very detailed and mentions:

"BRIDGWOOD: Later on we did try playing USED TO BE A SWEET BOY live – on the 1995 tour – but it didn’t work. Too bare!"

Regards,
FWD.

Top Bottom