"The Stone Roses: War and Peace" - quote from Si Wolstencroft on Smiths influence

Vu writes:

I'm reading The Stone Roses: War and Peace book by Simon Spence, and there is this quote in the book from Si Wolstencroft (the drummer in pre-Stone Roses band The Patrol and pre-Smiths band Freak Party) that I thought you'd find interesting:

"'I just didn't fancy it,' said Wolstencroft. 'I didn't like the cut of Morrissey's jib and the rest is history.' The Smiths replaced Wolstencroft with Mike Joyce, signed to Rough Trade Records and quickly scored two massive hits with 'This Charming Man' and 'What Difference Does it Make?' before releasing their eponymous debut album in February 1984. 'We watched them go from being kids rehearsing, to being on Top of the Pops, to being a big and important band,' said Garner [Pete Garner, bassist for The Patrol]. 'So once you've seen your mates on telly, you're like, F***, we can do this.'"

There is also a throwaway line in the book that said Johnny Marr thought about recruiting Ian Brown as singer of Freak Party.

The Stone Roses: War and Peace was originally released in the UK, but St Martin's Press is making the paperback available in the U.S. market for all the young Coachella fans.

stone_roses_war_and_peace.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Article: "The Stone Roses: War and Peace" - quote from Si Wolstencroft on Smiths

He may have made something of a career "mistake" not wanting to be with Moz but I have to say, I can completely understand not wanting to be around Morrissey.

Moz is an icon but a pretty horrible person. A judgmental, self-obsessed, petty/spiteful nutjob.

Re: Article: "The Stone Roses: War and Peace" - quote from Si Wolstencroft on Smiths

Isn't Simon Wolstencroft the guy who accompanied Johnny to Morrissey's house on that first meeting, saying he felt 'invisible' as soon as they started talking to each other? If so, I remember reading that he considered himself "out of the picture" before Johnny had gotten halfway up the stairs. I bet Moz wishes he'd stayed!

Isn't Simon Wolstencroft the guy who accompanied Johnny to Morrissey's house on that first meeting, saying he felt 'invisible' as soon as they started talking to each other? If so, I remember reading that he considered himself "out of the picture" before Johnny had gotten halfway up the stairs. I bet Moz wishes he'd stayed!

no he wasn't

He may have made something of a career "mistake" not wanting to be with Moz but I have to say, I can completely understand not wanting to be around Morrissey.

Moz is an icon but a pretty horrible person. A judgmental, self-obsessed, petty/spiteful nutjob.

Do you know him personally? I would be more inclined to guess that he has a touch of Irish stubbornness mixed with artistic temperment, lingering childhood insecurity, and a large dose of social awkwardness. You are entitled to your opinion, but I have always felt badly for Morrissey because of his inability to appropriately interact with most people. I doubt that it has made his life easy. He was staying at the same hotel once, and he walked in and just seemed so lost and so uncomfortable. My son is an extreme introvert, and the daily social encounters that would be easy for the rest of us are nearly impossible for him; and people constantly mistake it for rudeness or arrogance. Maybe that is why I would prefer to believe that Morrissey really cannot help his actions. Feel free to rip me to shreds; I would expect nothing less.

lynnda

No he wasn't. If my memory serves me right, the forgotten guy's name was Stephen Pompret..

No he wasn't. If my memory serves me right, the forgotten guy's name was Stephen Pompret..

Ah yes, Steven Pomfret, that's the one. I've just looked up the Mozipedia entry - thanks!

Marr fan -If you know so much, why ask ?

Oh hello again. I couldn't remember the guy's name....Simon, Steven, whoever.... he was a bit-player, a tiny character in the formation of the Smiths and I can't say I have his life story memorised. I never really liked The Fall either, so I have even less reason to recall Wolstencroft.

I would be more inclined to guess that he has a touch of Irish stubbornness...

That would be a bad guess; his parents are Irish whereas he's British and English.

That would be a bad guess; his parents are Irish whereas he's British and English.

So, his parents changed their DNA when they moved?

So, his parents changed their DNA when they moved?

No. Nationality has nothing to do with DNA ... or any other biological characteristic for that matter.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom