Please can we go
To the Smiths disco?

vzv6lk.jpg

The Star & Garter
18-20 Fairfield Street
Manchester
M1 2QF

Oh yes.

After many years pondering whether I should or shouldn’t, I finally decided to make the effort and turn up at the Star & Garter for one of the Smiths/Morrissey nights.
And I am so glad I did, in many ways it is everything you would expect to be, a sea of arms flailing to the tunes of His Master’s Voice, an above average number of people wearing NHS inspired glasses, the odd quiff or five, etc, etc.

Yet, the most pleasant aspect was the opportunity to meet several like minded and wonderful people having a good time, seemingly without a care in the world.

I also got to meet Julie Hamill, who is as sweet in person as you would imagine her to be if you happen to have read one of her many interviews.
Julie kindly introduced me to Simon Wolstencroft, The Smiths first drummer, who recorded two demos and decided the band was not ‘his thing’.
What a lovely bloke, so friendly and down to earth (a United fan to boot, which always helps). We had a fairly long chat and a bit of a laugh and parted ways, but it was a real pleasure to meet him.

So here is to you Simon, all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom