The Spectator: "What the Smiths' critics don't get" by Gareth Roberts (June 6, 2023)

It’s forty years since the Smiths released their first single ‘Hand In Glove’. We’ve already seen a slew of articles on the anniversary, and the clichés about this most singular, most wonderful pop group are doing their weary rounds yet again. The Guardian tells us that the Smiths are incredibly influential. But this is sadly not so. I don’t hear any influence, not a note, in anything that’s followed.

‘Over the past 40 years, you can see their aesthetic and spiritual influence in everyone from the Stone Roses to Oasis and the 1975,’ they tell us. If only! Those bands are derivative, certainly, but of the Smiths? Guitars and the North of England aside, it’s hard to imagine greater artistic gulfs. The comparison between the emotional open wound of the Smiths’ output with the 1975’s immaculately hollow, precision-tooled-for-Spotify tunes is laughably wide of the target. I strongly suspect you could remove the Smiths from history, and those bands – and pop music in general – would sound exactly the same.

There is also another repetition of the assertion – first made by John Peel and oddly never challenged – that the Smiths sounded like nothing else when they first appeared, and that everyone was knocked over by their originality. But this is not quite the case. Take a listen to the indie of the time just before the Smiths, and you’ll notice striking similarities with aspects of the band. Almost contemporaneous records, such as ‘Revolutionary Spirit’ by The Wild Swans – with its haughty vocal and jaunty backing – or ‘The First Picture Of You’ by the Lotus Eaters – with its rangy bass, picked mesh of guitars, arty sleeve of a male nude – sound familiar to anyone who has listened to the Smiths.

To many of us at the time, our first encounter with the Smiths saw us file them under ‘miserable rainy Northern indie’. In fact, it took a few listens to ‘get’ them, to understand their music really was something precious.

What made them special? Firstly, there was the music’s incredible unsexiness, despite often being about sex or the lack of it. The songs are often bashingly bouncy but they are totally without the earthy quality of the pop music of that time or of this time. They don’t make you feel ‘up for it’. The band bucked the trend of the day-glo multicoloured world of the 80s: all synthesisers and videos of Bowiefied men disappearing in slow motion or pouting with their cheeks sucked in. The Smiths released albums and singles with sleeves of forgotten 60s actors, their photographs washed in dun, plum, taupe and umber. People have forgotten how funny that was.

Most pop music takes place in some unfathomably remote dream world of aspiration, or a drugged withdrawal from reality. But, as their name suggested, the Smiths were bread and butter, more Ena Sharples than Brian Eno.

Look at the chasm in January 1984 between Frankie Goes To Hollywood’s ‘Relax’ at number one in the charts and ‘What Difference Does It Make’ by the Smiths at number 12. The first is a pounding multi-platform extravaganza of acrobatic homoeroticism; the latter, the story of a thwarted confession of…something, conveyed in the language of the everyday. The lyrics took in school, jobs, money troubles, fumbles and messy approaches; the actual warp and weft of teenage life.

The reaction from many to this saying of the unsayable by the Smiths, their open self-pity and searing honesty, was embarrassment or laughter. It’s been strange in the years since their passing to read of how loved the Smiths supposedly were. Most people despised and rejected them, and their singles barely scraped the top ten. They were gone before many realised they were even there.

Much as it annoys people to acknowledge it, a lot of their uniqueness came from Morrissey. The rule-breaking sprawl of his vocal lines, the words nobody else would dare sing; take Morrissey out and some of the Smiths’ songs, the shining guitar riffs and the melodic and oddly funky bass of the late great Andy Rourke, would sound almost like Haircut 100 (not that there’s anything wrong with that). The musical brilliance of the other members didn’t translate in the same way afterwards. All of Morrissey’s solo songs sound like the Smiths; none of Johnny Marr’s do.

The disregard of the musical cognoscenti for Morrissey’s post-Smiths career has obvious motivations. Standing under the same umbrella as three ordinary-looking blokes made him more palatable. If they were ok with him, we could be. And we like groups – the relationships between the young members as they navigate their sudden success. We love to remember the first rush of a musical infatuation. Like a husband or a cat though, after a while they’re probably not going to surprise you any more. They’re just there on the chair, reminding you you’ve got old. Morrissey has made some of his best records much later on in his life, but they go unheralded – even, now, unreleased.

Which brings us to another of the caveats, what the Guardian calls ‘the singer’s current views’. Morrissey’s trenchant opinions during the lifetime of the Smiths (wishing death on Mrs Thatcher, supporting animal rights terrorists, etc) didn’t bother the music press, when these could be categorised as left wing. There is also a silly attitude to Morrissey’s character. His every song, right from day one, is about being strange and spiky and having awkward social interactions. Yet his critics delight in pointing out that he’s strange and spiky and has awkward social interactions, as if they’d uncovered a shocking hidden truth. You may as well splash the headline Rod Stewart dyes his hair.

Morrissey remains almost unique as an artist in the pop world, as his only means to communicate clearly and sincerely is in the poetic, lyrical mode. Everyone else seems to have forgotten that’s what we have the poetic, lyrical mode for.

For forty years, he has seemed like an interloper in the milieu of indie – the priggish students, the turgid music press and the Guardian. Of course, these people always get it so wrong. The Smiths were always too big, too exceptional, for that narrow little world.

A statement like « Morrissey made his best work much later in his life » made me wonder which albums he would consider to be M’s greatest? Because many people, including myself, would praise the quality of YA or V & I, which is later than the Smiths but much later?

I do agree that Morrissey’s entire body of solo work is currently underrated by critics. M’s way with words and singing style are so unique that it deserves more appreciation, even if you don’t appreciate everything he has done or ever said.
You Are the Quarry, very likely.

How weird it all is. because they are praising Moz so much is suspicious. Something will happen. ... ? it was the death of A R that stirred the neurons of some who mistreat our mega great Moz!!! Moz is unique, I love it ❤️ VIVA MORRISSEY CARAJO!!!Moz you are the best?!!!!!

Attachments

• 9fc9c7d3fd4942dba91f71d07ce7c92f.gif
    9fc9c7d3fd4942dba91f71d07ce7c92f.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The Spectator is a right wing publication so less of a surprise than if it had been written in The Guardian or Independent.
Regardless of the politics of the publication, there are indeed some articulate and original observations here.
So what if they're right wing? All you've stated is that they're right wing. If you're trying to shame them you'll have to do better than that. I'd be embarrassed to be left wing.

Not to be a contrarion but I usually don't feel a need to read articles about why The Smiths are great, why they're not, why some people don't 'get' The Smiths. I love them and it's all down to personal taste. However, I enjoyed The Spectator article as it dares to say what the writer actually thinks. A brave move these daze. And he makes intelligent observations on the mindless marginalisation of Moz by the moronic music machine maniacs.

Our Moz will rescue us from the Slow Murants intent on plunging the music multiverse into dull as dishwater darkness.

gunslingerslowmutants.jpg
Being brave is now apparently a "right wing" trait.

So what if they're right wing? All you've stated is that they're right wing. If you're trying to shame them you'll have to do better than that. I'd be embarrassed to be left wing.
Well, criticism of Moz does usually come from the left.

lets face it when you see a band on tv or onstage your eyes are automatically drawn to the singer,iv never left a concert and overheard someone say the singer was crap but the rhythm section were great,M and his time are on the way back.

Very interesting, i don't agree with everything in the article, for instance, if there was ever a Johnny Marr song that sounded like the Smiths it has to be 'Hi Hello', that song is very Smiths like.
And i wonder, what would The Smiths sound like if they were still going?
But i liked where he said that basically when they were with us NOBODY, accept other fans gave a toss, and now there is this view they were as popular as the Beatles.

"Most people despised and rejected them, and their singles barely scraped the top ten." This very much chimes with my memory of the mid-80s.

The Smiths were the absolute definition of a cult band: rejected by 99% of the music-buying population, but utterly adored by the 1%, who bought pretty much every release on the day it came out, which meant their chart positions gave the impression that The Smiths were more popular than they actually were. (The Jam had been like this too, but their split was more like 95% / 5%)

Morrissey, of course, has always argued that this was due to lack of promotion and radio play, and there's a grain of truth in that - but surely it's more due to The Smiths being (as this article says) deeply strange and most people being...kind of normal?

"Most people despised and rejected them, and their singles barely scraped the top ten." This very much chimes with my memory of the mid-80s.

The Smiths were the absolute definition of a cult band: rejected by 99% of the music-buying population, but utterly adored by the 1%, who bought pretty much every release on the day it came out, which meant their chart positions gave the impression that The Smiths were more popular than they actually were. (The Jam had been like this too, but their split was more like 95% / 5%)

Morrissey, of course, has always argued that this was due to lack of promotion and radio play, and there's a grain of truth in that - but surely it's more due to The Smiths being (as this article says) deeply strange and most people being...kind of normal?
This is spot on. Morrissey has always made people feel a little uncomfortable. He is spiky and difficult. It’s why we love him.

Gareth Roberts wrote a Doctor Who novel in the 90s called 'The Romance of Crime'. I wonder where he got the title from?

Poor guy. Yet another victim of the madness where stating fact, 2 + 2 = 4, gets you cancelled. The Gs and the Ls are being cancelled out of the alphabet soup.
Well, the spectator was definitely happy with the title track:

Gordy Boy said 'for once Morrissey comes out of this well'.
I explained that it was not actually that surprising considering that The Spectator is a right wing publication. It would be more surprising if The Guardian/Independent (etc) wrote a positive piece about him. And from that you've jumped to some bizarre conclusion about being shamed.

Last edited:

I don't think you're quite right here, BB.
The Smiths singles generally lingered in the charts (if not the top 10) for weeks and weeks. Many even picked up sales certificates meaning up to 100s of thousands of sales.
It was the Morrissey solo stuff that only survived 2 or 3 weeks with the sole exception of the Viva Hate singles and First of the Gang (only EDILS and First of the Gang have achieved sales certificates).
The Smiths albums hung around in the charts for a relatively long time, too (months rather than weeks) in stark contrast to the solo ones which has culminated in Morrissey's most recent one exiting the entire top 100 album chart after just one week.
So, arguably, the Smiths got well beyond cult status but Morrissey never really has. A lot of fairly regular folk loved the Smiths but found Morrissey himself quite unappealing (even before all the recent nonsense).

I don't think you're quite right here, BB.
The Smiths singles generally lingered in the charts (if not the top 10) for weeks and weeks. Many even picked up sales certificates meaning up to 100s of thousands of sales.
It was the Morrissey solo stuff that only survived 2 or 3 weeks with the sole exception of the Viva Hate singles and First of the Gang (only EDILS and First of the Gang have achieved sales certificates).
The Smiths albums hung around in the charts for a relatively long time, too (months rather than weeks) in stark contrast to the solo ones which has culminated in Morrissey's most recent one exiting the entire top 100 album chart after just one week.
So, arguably, the Smiths got well beyond cult status but Morrissey never really has. A lot of fairly regular folk loved the Smiths but found Morrissey himself quite unappealing (even before all the recent nonsense).

This is really interesting, and it's made me do some @Mozmar style number-crunching!

Here's a graphic of The Smiths singles and how long they lasted in the UK Top 40:

1686210028898.png

And here's one of Morrissey's solo singles, using the same method:

1686210149221.png

What this doesn't tell us, of course, is what The Smiths' or Morrissey's chart longevity (longevities?) were like compared to one or two of their contemporaries. Any suggestions as to which bands / artists we could look at for the sake of comparison?

This is really interesting, and it's made me do some @Mozmar style number-crunching!

Here's a graphic of The Smiths singles and how long they lasted in the UK Top 40:

View attachment 91835

And here's one of Morrissey's solo singles, using the same method:

View attachment 91836

What this doesn't tell us, of course, is what The Smiths' or Morrissey's chart longevity (longevities?) were like compared to one or two of their contemporaries. Any suggestions as to which bands / artists we could look at for the sake of comparison?
Things have also changed quite radically in the past few decades too. The 1980s saw the birth of CDs - remember them? But the digital revolution only really got going at the end of the 20th century and the start of this one. That completely transformed how music is purchased - if it is purchased at all. Back in the 1980s singles still meant something.

Things have also changed quite radically in the past few decades too. The 1980s saw the birth of CDs - remember them? But the digital revolution only really got going at the end of the 20th century and the start of this one. That completely transformed how music is purchased - if it is purchased at all. Back in the 1980s singles still meant something.
Yes, the UK singles chart starts turning into a very different beast around 2000, and even more so later on. (Although Kylie is singlehandedly trying to prove that you can still have a Top 10 single these days, despite being ancient...)

It would be interesting to see the difference between 7 & 12" sales.
Obviously the 12" German maxi singles, other imports or Japanese 3" CDs (with adapter) I bought didn't count towards sales, but I don't ever remember buying just a 7" or 12" - always together.
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom