The Sound of The Smiths

Last Night I Dreamt has the intro missing and I think it sounds so weird without that,

I think that's because it's how it appeared when released as a single, in edit form?

and why include tracks like The Queen Is Dead, Vicar In A Tutu etc on the rarities disc?

That's my biggest gripe, especially when the likes of Accept Yourself, Rubber Ring, Draize Train, Unloveable & London are missing. And why put on the New York vocal of TCM? I thought Morrissey & Marr hated it?

Vicar In A Tutu

It may be because it was a b-side to Panic, so that fits it into the 'b-sides and rarities' description of disc 2. The Queen Is Dead? I have no idea. Because it's a stonking track that has benefited well from the remastering?

Rubber Ring, Draize Train

These are available as bonus tracks from iTunes (though in horrid 125kbps (??) DRM).

Shame about Accept Yourself, Unlovable and London - but then again it wasn't billed as a complete b-sides compilation (where is I Keep Mine Hidden, Golden Lights, etc?).

I think it's a big improvement. The sound is brighter overall on nearly all the tracks. Although ASK starts off really subdued. Is it my imagination, or does anyone else think that the line on The Queen Is Dead "All those lies about make up and long hair - they're still there" - has been made more prominent? Probably just me then.

Peter

I think it's a big improvement. The sound is brighter overall on nearly all the tracks. Although ASK starts off really subdued. Is it my imagination, or does anyone else think that the line on The Queen Is Dead "All those lies about make up and long hair - they're still there" - has been made more prominent? Probably just me then.

Wait, what? Is that what he says in that slurred line in the middle?!?

Indeed he does. It's my contention that this is what makes the song so clever. It's a broadside against the establishment, but at the same time, he's telling it, err, straight. The Queen Is Dead.

By the way, the bit at the beginning, in the helium voice also seems more prominent - "By land, by sea...."

Peter

And why put on the New York vocal of TCM? I thought Morrissey & Marr hated it?

They hate the dance mix that was released. The New York, London and Manchester releases are just alternate takes and I believe they were pleased with all of those.

Peter

Indeed he does. It's my contention that this is what makes the song so clever. It's a broadside against the establishment, but at the same time, he's telling it, err, straight. The Queen Is Dead.

By the way, the bit at the beginning, in the helium voice also seems more prominent - "By land, by sea...."

Peter

I've not bought it yet, so I can't comment on the new sound or the lyrics; but, from passions http://passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-w-qid.htm

Footnote: There isn't a consensus among fans as to what is sung here. Some have suggested "All their lies about make up and long hair they're still there". If you have a better idea of what is said here, please write in!

So, Peter, Please write in!

I've not bought it yet, so I can't comment on the new sound or the lyrics; but, from passions http://passionsjustlikemine.com/lyrics/smiths-w-qid.htm

Footnote: There isn't a consensus among fans as to what is sung here. Some have suggested "All their lies about make up and long hair they're still there". If you have a better idea of what is said here, please write in!

So, Peter, Please write in!

Bah. Can't be bothered. I stand by the comments above that it's a very good example of a Morrissey double-meaning (the song title), meaning himself, and royalty.

Anyway, I'll see you in a few days, I'm off under the knife tomorrow. Fun, fun, fun.:D

Peter

By the way, I just bought the 4 extra iTunes tracks. There is also the Jarman film on there, and the DIGITAL BOOKLET. I refuse to buy the album again for things I already have just to get the digital booklet, but, if anyone else has this, it would be useful to have a look...

Peter

BTW The Draize Train sounds fantastic. Morrissey refused to write lyrics for it, despite repeated pleas. I can't help thinking it would have made a great single.

Last edited:
Bah. Can't be bothered. I stand by the comments above that it's a very good example of a Morrissey double-meaning (the song title), meaning himself, and royalty.

Anyway, I'll see you in a few days, I'm off under the knife tomorrow. Fun, fun, fun.:D

By the way, I just bought the 4 extra iTunes tracks. There is also the Jarman film on there, and the DIGITAL BOOKLET. I refuse to buy the album again for things I already have just to get the digital booklet, but, if anyone else has this, it would be useful to have a look...

Peter

BTW The Draize Train sounds fantastic. Morrissey refused to write lyrics for it, despite repeated pleas. I can't help thinking it would have made a great single.

Good luck to the operation Peter. :)

Yes, it's an awful pity that Morrissey refused to write lyrics for Draze Train. :(

Peter

Boob job?:D Nose Job?:D Sex change? :eek:

Hope you are back with us asap, fit and well.

I'm going to hospital for an operation on my wrist in a fortnight - it will mean 6 weeks off work with a cast on my hand - take me well into the new year :D

Boob job?:D Nose Job?:D Sex change? :eek:

Hope you are back with us asap, fit and well.

I'm going to hospital for an operation on my wrist in a fortnight - it will mean 6 weeks off work with a cast on my hand - take me well into the new year :D

It's just the leg again. A few years ago in China, I fell down ONE step in a hotel in Shanghai, and basically ripped the foot off the leg. They put a pot on it in Shanghai, but as it was the second day of a two week visit, I cut the pot off after sitting all day in the bath, and carried on. When I got back to Blighty, I kept falling over (watch it, I know what you're thinking), and it turned out my ankle was floating below the leg, not attached by anything. So I had it reconstructed with bits of metal and such, and now the scar tissue from that is poking in the joint, so it needs to come out. Whoop-de-doo. A week and a bit off work with strong opiates. Get in.

Dave - hope yours goes well. Get your typing hand sorted anyway, I enjoy all your contributions here:)

Peter

It's just the leg again. A few years ago in China, I fell down ONE step in a hotel in Shanghai, and basically ripped the foot off the leg. They put a pot on it in Shanghai, but as it was the second day of a two week visit, I cut the pot off after sitting all day in the bath, and carried on. When I got back to Blighty, I kept falling over (watch it, I know what you're thinking), and it turned out my ankle was floating below the leg, not attached by anything. So I had it reconstructed with bits of metal and such, and now the scar tissue from that is poking in the joint, so it needs to come out. Whoop-de-doo. A week and a bit off work with strong opiates. Get in.

Dave - hope yours goes well. Get your typing hand sorted anyway, I enjoy all your contributions here:)

Peter

I think I've just lost my supper :sick: Good luck with it

It's my left wrist and I'm left handed. And I have an essay deadline 2 weeks later...I've already put in a request for an extension ;)

And thanks for the comment at the end - I always enjoy your contributions as well :)

Sound of the Smiths DE itunes bonus tracks

Are these available anywhere in lossless format?

Re: Sound of the Smiths DE itunes bonus tracks

Is a pot a cast?

Peter

good luck peter hope it goes ok

The set is on sale for 16.99 at Virgin Megastore. I just came back from the one in Union Square, NYC and they played 2 Smiths songs in the store for a 10 min span (You Just Haven't Earned It and What Difference). Not too shabby.

And of course my favorite past time at the store is taking out all Van Morrison CDs from the Morrissey section.

And of course my favorite past time at the store is taking out all Van Morrison CDs from the Morrissey section.
hah you know what I do ..most of the time the smiths in our "megastores"are placed very low in the shelves so i always rearrange them..like yesterday rearrange and hiding simply red in the lowest region and putting up the smiths in the direct viewing vision ...

Back
Top Bottom