The Songs That Saved Your Life book

I have just started reaing this book and I am amazed by it. There is so much I didn't know.

e.g. I never that there is a recording of "A Matter of Opinion"...if only Morrissey or Marr could sneak it from Joyce's collection.
Also, I didn't realise that on the original version of WDDIM? there was backing vocals from Johnny.

How have other people found the book?

I have just started reaing this book and I am amazed by it. There is so much I didn't know.

e.g. I never that there is a recording of "A Matter of Opinion"...if only Morrissey or Marr could sneak it from Joyce's collection.
Also, I didn't realise that on the original version of WDDIM? there was backing vocals from Johnny.

I found it on the third shelf down at Waterstones. Sorry, couldn't resist.

The second version is probably the best book on The Smiths that there has been. The new information on Amanda Malone was probably a surprise to most fans.

Peter

Last edited:

off topic a bit there is a version of what difference does it make? where you can hear backing vocals. heres the whole bootleg as posted by someone else
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=54397&highlight=swept+mystical+air+bootleg
love the book though found it backstage don't know who it belongs to, but if anyones misssing.....uh good stuff except all the morrissey bashing.

Johnny's backing vocals can be clearly heard on the Troy Tate demo of WDDIM. It sounds quite spooky. He also joins Moz in the falcetto part at the end in the live recording of WDDIM from Hacienda, February 1983 (also available on bootlegs) - as far as I know, the first known version of WDDIM.

The book is wonderful, I agree with what Uncleskinny said. I borrowed the first edition from a friend and read it. Then I decided the book was great and that I needed to have it, and I also wanted to read the second edition, so I ordered the second edition from amazon. I still photocopied the first edition before returning it.

I agree it's a great book. I also have both editions. Found the 2nd one in Belfast at HMV for like for about $8 so had to buy it.

Great book, hand in hand with Severed Alliance you'll have about as much Smiths info as you'll ever need...possibly :)

Yeh, I have Severed Alliance which is great. I also like Morrissey- The Albums and I love that book of photos by Linder, can't recall the title.

Thats called Morrissey Shot. Does anyone have The Smiths and beyond by Kevin Cummins? Would you recommend it?

Back
Top Bottom