The Smiths's first radio interview?

for someone who was just starting out theres a real confidence in his answers.thanks auntiefattie for putting this up.

Thanks for posting this. It is very interesting in that it pinpoints the time when Troy Tate's recordings had been passed on to John Porter with the intention of remixing them.

I'm not sure that it was Morrissey's very first radio interview, though. Wasn't he interviewed live in the Radio 1 studio by David (Kid) Jenson, on the evening that the first 'Jenson Session' was broadcast?

If it is the first it's odd they're 4 Peel sessions deep; but that was their bright, fast career!

Interesting to hear Moz talk almost radiantly about John Porter. That wouldn't last...

T
x

If it is the first it's odd they're 4 Peel sessions deep; but that was their bright, fast career!

It was their fourth Radio 1 session (two for Peel, two for Jenson) by that time. The second Peel session followed so quickly after the second Jenson session because John Peel and his producer John Walters were so aghast that the BBC management had blocked the broadcasting of a new version of 'Reel Around The Fountain' in the wake of The Sun newspaper's alarmist allegations regarding Morrissey's lyrics. Those sessions were crucial to The Smiths' ascendancy during 1983. They were repeated so regularly throughout the summer/autumn that it seemed that hardly a week went by without hearing The Smiths on Radio 1 in the evenings. This at the time when they had only had 'Hand In Glove' out as a single. Almost an album's worth of material being played so often on national radio gave them phenomenal free publicity. Thinking back on it gives me a reminder of just how exciting it was!

i love that photo of the wee boys above,reminds me of a time when nobody had much but people seemed happier in those days.no internet,no phones stuck to your ear,no drugs.no political correctness.maybe its just me.

Back
Top Bottom