The Smiths' very first press release from Rough Trade - @vivahate72

"The sexes have allowed themselves to be too different." Morrissey is nothing if not consistent!

Sometimes I forget how very, very young three of them were at the time.

And not a safe or conventional choice for a Joni Mitchell album, at that...

Talking of which, and I know we've been here before (Seasick...), have a bit of this...

Apropos nothing, there was a phase when I played this constantly. The kids laughed at the very beginning... "I am a poo....."

So, anyway, Moz lifted several lines from from this beautiful song.

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 2 years younger than Rourke and Marr, maybe less counting in months

Indeed incredibable what The Smiths achieved, at such young ages,

they are Legend and will be

I'm 2 years younger than Rourke and Marr, maybe less counting in months

Indeed incredibable what The Smiths achieved, at such young ages,

they are Legend and will be

Yes, they were young. Can you imagine three 19 year olds and a 23 year old achieving such a level of success today without a major label, PR person, publicist, manager, stylist, interview coach, marketing department, choreographer, video director, voice coach, famous producer, etc? It is almost unthinkable today.

I am genuinely amazed that this hasn't got more comments. A true piece of history.

Everyone's focus is elsewhere, sadly. I can't think why.

The press release looks to me as if it's written by Morrissey as he uses particular words "clump" for example he said on 'My Top Ten' - when Morrissey wondered whether he was a record collector and said he had a "clump of fifty singles". I seem to recall he also had huge praise for that Joni Mitchell album 'Hissing Lawns'.

Back
Top Bottom