The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals [Bootleg Vinyl Rip]

What becomes clear to me after listening to all this is how the band made the right call almost every time. For years, not hearing these unreleased versions, but always being reminded of their existence, always seemed to hint that the official releases were conservative and dull.

Now that I've heard them, I can say that part of the genius of The Smiths was taking the right course in the studio. The demos show experimentation and even expose some of the weaknesses of the band, but the versions that ultimately ended up on official release were great versions.

The story of The Smiths has already been etched in stone, and hearing these incomplete and alternate recordings don't detract from my impressions of the band, they only remind me how good they were.

that's exactly what i thought when i first listened to these. i prefer ask, sheila, disco dancer etc as i know them, i think they released (from what we have heard so far) the better versions (but i must say i quite like the trumpet on frankly mr shankly). ive often heard bands' demos and loved them more the the final versions, but that's not the case here: even though these are not bad and it's interesting to see how the songs evolved, i'm glad they made the "right" choice in the end.

thanks a lot, motorways!

To add to all the rest - THANK YOU!!!!!

Yeah, much thanks. Now, if i could just get someone to put these onto discs and make some artwork(front and back) for me, that would be awesome.

Right now, I dont have the capability(or comp set up) to make copies for myself. maybe someone can make copies of them for me or something? I will reward someone for their hardwork of course

[/B] - Girl Afraid (Glasgow 02-03-84) Department Of Enjoyment NME Various Artists Compilation Album 1985
- Girlfriend In a Coma (Alternate Rare Version)
- How Soon Is Now? (Unfinished Studio Take) Italy 12" "William,It Was Really Nothing" 1984
- Miserable Lie (Oxford 18-03-85) Rough Trade Compilation Various Artists Album 1986
- Shakespeare's Sister (Los Angeles 27-06-85) Rarities Vol.2 Various Artists Album 2003
- Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Without Fade-In)
- Suffer Little Children (First Demo Version) Decibel Studios 1982
- The Cowbell (Unreleased Instrumental)
- Unloveable (Inverness 01-10-85) Soundcheck. This song was never performed live
- What Do You See In Him? (Manchester 04-02-83) Wonderful Woman early version
- What She Said (Oxford 18-03-85) Poll Winners Free EP with NME 1985
- William, It Was Really Nothing (Oxford 18-03-85) Meat Is Murder Aborted Live EP 1985 [/B]

If someone happens to have these tracks and would be willing to share them I'd appreciate it. : ) Thanks in advance!

There is a Light (take 1) - does this mean this was the first take when they were recording the song for the album?

I don't have Goddard book here with me, but I recall him writing that it took them 1 or 2 takes to record the song.

that's exactly what i thought when i first listened to these. i prefer ask, sheila, disco dancer etc as i know them, i think they released (from what we have heard so far) the better versions (but i must say i quite like the trumpet on frankly mr shankly). ive often heard bands' demos and loved them more the the final versions, but that's not the case here: even though these are not bad and it's interesting to see how the songs evolved, i'm glad they made the "right" choice in the end.

thanks a lot, motorways!

I totally agree with you and gurglejerk. These demos are fun to listen to for curiosity sake but these are not the demos that saved our lives. They're a nice novelty to have but they lack the beauty and soaring nature of the officially released versions. I am so glad they didn't go with these versions. Just think if they had they may have not had the success they so richly deserved. I think people are wetting their pants so much because we are so desperate to hear something new from Moz and sadly this will have to do for now. Hearing these demos or alt takes has made me listen to the real originals even more now, especially the mp3 remasters that someone uploaded recently. They sound fantastic!

they lack the beauty and soaring nature of the officially released versions. I am so glad they didn't go with these versions.

I'm surprised to hear so many people say this. I realise now that a lot of people don't understand that most of these are unfinished mixes from various stages of the creation process. They were never considered to be released like that. It's pointless to say you're happy they didn't release them. Apart from Reel Around The Fountain, they were never meant to be.

If you saw a famous painting by Picasso or whoever, and had a chance to see a photo of the same painting halfway finished, with part of the canvas still white, you wouldn't say "Oh I'm happy he didn't leave it like that!".

The pleasure in these demos and outtakes is what they reveal about the creation process, and that even at their rawest, unpolished and unproduced, these are little gems that are going to grow into the masterpieces that we know and love.

Have you ever seen photos of the person you're in love with, as a kid or a teenager?

Stephane

I'm surprised to hear so many people say this. I realise now that a lot of people don't understand that most of these are unfinished mixes from various stages of the creation process. They were never considered to be released like that. It's pointless to say you're happy they didn't release them. Apart from Reel Around The Fountain, they were never meant to be.

If you saw a famous painting by Picasso or whoever, and had a chance to see a photo of the same painting halfway finished, with part of the canvas still white, you wouldn't say "Oh I'm happy he didn't leave it like that!".

The pleasure in these demos and outtakes is what they reveal about the creation process, and that even at their rawest, unpolished and unproduced, these are little gems that are going to grow into the masterpieces that we know and love.

Stephane

Spot on Stephane, I couldn't agree more...
This is not about finding improvements on the officially released tracks.
The beauty lies in the small nuances, slight changes to the lyrics, the whistling on Death Of A Disco Dancer, etc.

It is a joy to listen to these recordings after all these years, I haven't stopped playing these tracks since last Sunday.

Long live The Smiths!

Have you ever seen photos of the person you're in love with, as a kid or a teenager?

Stephane

I totally agree... I mean I feel lucky that we are able to hear these at all! Beatles and Stones fans are spoiled with hundreds of hours of bootlegs! We have had so little for so long, and I think these versions are just amazing. For those of us who analyze every note, this is like a new science being discovered!

Stephane

Agreed. Anyway i prefer these takes of Reel Around The Fountain and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out to the studio LP versions.

Is the "Cowbell track" the demo that Mike Joyce played on radio and got aboslutely slaughtered for it?

Whilst I agree in general with the sentiment, I don't believe it's really the same as having an unfinished painting in regards to many of the tracks.

It's clear that some of these tracks are really different versions and not just unfinished works. It's more like if you saw a picture of the Mona Lisa in the midst of having a veil added to the portrait or with the general outlines of her winking in the painting. It'd have a been a different/alternate picture altogether and not just the same painting that needed a few more brush strokes.

I do love having the tracks available and am pleased that someone has let them out to see the light of day (nothing worse than someone sitting on something others would enjoy no matter what the reason). I'm fully in agreement about the comments about the creation process. Very interesting indeed.

Stephane

I think people are wetting their pants so much because we are so desperate to hear something new from Moz and sadly this will have to do for now. Hearing these demos or alt takes has made me listen to the real originals even more now, especially the mp3 remasters that someone uploaded recently. They sound fantastic!

I think there are people who'd rather hear something "new" by The Smiths than something new by Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom