The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals [Bootleg Vinyl Rip]

Motorways, you're a star. Thanks for making the holiday a little merrier for all of us!

Cheers,
Jamie

What becomes clear to me after listening to all this is how the band made the right call almost every time. For years, not hearing these unreleased versions, but always being reminded of their existence, always seemed to hint that the official releases were conservative and dull.

Now that I've heard them, I can say that part of the genius of The Smiths was taking the right course in the studio. The demos show experimentation and even expose some of the weaknesses of the band, but the versions that ultimately ended up on official release were great versions.

The story of The Smiths has already been etched in stone, and hearing these incomplete and alternate recordings don't detract from my impressions of the band, they only remind me how good they were.

This.

For only your third post you have hit the nail on the head.

If Sheila Take a Bow had always had a sitar at the start, if QiD was always 7 1/2 minutes, if Rusholme Ruffians had always been a jamming session - then they wouldn't have been the brilliant songs that they are. The band and their engineers made the right choices back in the day. The leaking of these tracks merely underlines how good this band actually were.

Dave

We might be talking at cross-purposes, but here's a link to Some Girls without fade-in. Taken from my Festival Records issue of Queen is Dead CD. Don't get too excited though!

Someone basically cut it out with software like audiocity and like I said, it's pathectic!
I could easily take the whole 1st verse of Hand In Glove, fade it out at the chorus and fade in This Charming Man with that software and then call it "Hand In-Charming Man (fades in)" or something really stupid like that.
It's absolutely BADLY fan-made and the whole "fade in-out Some Girls" is absolute crap as it does NOT manage to even do that, the idiot has cut the whole thing out of the damn song! It shouldn't even be classed as a "fan made" edit, it's just simply crap....

Holy Sh*t!
The Smiths - Demos-Inst BOOT MP3.zip
145.86 MB | 4971 Downloads

And that doesn't even count the times it has been mirrored on other sites.

And thanks for all the thanks, but it was nothing really. I just did what all of you would have done. So thanks to all of you for what you've shared over the years. And thanks to whomever released this bootleg.

It has been brought to my attention that these rips are mono. I can re-rip, but I honestly don't know why these come out mono. Any advice is welcome..

Last edited:
Holy Sh*t!

Congrats, my friend....many people will like you :lbf:

Holy Sh*t!

And thanks for all the thanks, but it was nothing really. I just did what all of you would have done. So thanks to all of you for what you've shared over the years. And thanks to whomever released this bootleg.

It has been brought to my attention that these rips are mono. I can re-rip, but I honestly don't know why these come out mono. Any advice is welcome..

That's enough to get to No1 in the charts these days... Let's start a campaign to get The Smiths to No1.... :thumb:

Dave

Someone basically cut it out with software like audiocity and like I said, it's pathectic!
I could easily take the whole 1st verse of Hand In Glove, fade it out at the chorus and fade in This Charming Man with that software and then call it "Hand In-Charming Man (fades in)" or something really stupid like that.
It's absolutely BADLY fan-made and the whole "fade in-out Some Girls" is absolute crap as it does NOT manage to even do that, the idiot has cut the whole thing out of the damn song! It shouldn't even be classed as a "fan made" edit, it's just simply crap....

Hi Davie,

You might not like it, and I am not suggesting it's great or even good, however it is NOT FAN MADE.
This version was included in the official Aussie release of TQID (in all formats).

Cheers,

I.R.

Thanks, Motorways! Merry Christmas!

photo-1-18.jpg

The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals [Bootleg Vinyl Rip]

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Reel Around The Fountain
Rusholme Ruffians
The Queen Is Dead
Sheila Take A Bow
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Untitled One (Marr Instrumental)
Ask
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Is It Really So Strange?
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
Shoplifters Of The World Unite (Reprise)
Girlfriend In A Coma
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Paint A Vulgar Picture
Untitled Two (Marr Instrumental)

photo-57.jpg

I'd not noticed they were in mono!

Presumably they are in glorious stereo on the LP then?

Well if you do manage to find a way to rip them in stereo that would be great, if you give us some details of how you ripped them from vinyl someone may be able to work out how it happened.

Okay here's a bit of information for you guys. I just downloaded the files and compared them with what I have. Here's what I know:

Warner Strategic Marketing considered releasing a limited edition 2-cd set of "The Very Best Of The Smiths" in 2001. The seven tracks from the second disc were sent to various people involved in the project. All seven are on this bootleg:

Reel Around The Fountain (final Troy Tate album version)
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (John Porter monitor mix)
This Night Has Opened My Eyes (studio version June 84)
Rusholme Ruffians (Electric version July 84)
Frankly Mr Shankly (Trumpet version november 85)
Is It Really So Strange (June 86 'single' version)
Paint A Vulgar Picture (monitor mix March 87)

A compilation of outtakes from the sessions for "The Queen Is Dead" was at some point sent to record company people for some sort of anniversary reissue of the album (25th I think). From this 18 track compilation, two songs made it on this bootleg:

The Queen Is Dead (full version)
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (take 1)
(plus of course Frankly which I've already mentioned above)

The rest are various demos.

Untitled 1 is called "I Misses You"
Untitled 2 is called "Heavy Track"
Both here are excerpts. The full versions are longer than that.

"Sheila Take A Bow" is the Porter version from January 1987
"Ask" is the pre-remix version

The rest are monitor mixes/demos for Strangeways.

This means that the makers of this bootleg have lots more in store that they could leak on more bootlegs. I hope this will push Warner to finally put out some sort of box set or the album reissues with unreleased material. Otherwise bootleggers will be making more compilations like these and eventually cut all the profits that the labels could be making.

Stephane

At the moment these rarities of The Smiths have seen the light:

- Ask (Pre-remix Version)
- Death of a Disco Dancer (Monitor Mix)
- Frankly, Mr Shankly (Trumpet Version)
- Girl Afraid (Glasgow 02-03-84) Department Of Enjoyment NME Various Artists Compilation Album 1985
- Girlfriend In a Coma (Monitor Mix)
- Girlfriend In a Coma (Alternate Rare Version)
- Heavy Track (Instrumental)
- I Misses You (Instrumental)
- Is It Really So Strange? (Single Version)
- Miserable Lie (Oxford 18-03-85) Rough Trade Compilation Various Artists Album 1986
- Pait a Vulgar Picture (Monitor Mix)
- Reel Around The Fountain (Final Troy Tate Album Version)
- Rubber Ring (Monitor Mix)
- Rusholme Ruffians (Electric Version)
- Shakespeare's Sister (Los Angeles 27-06-85) Rarities Vol.2 Various Artists Album 2003
- Sheila Take a Bow (Porter Version)
- Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Without Fade-In)
- Suffer Little Children (First Demo Version) Decibel Studios 1982
- The Cowbell (Instrumental)
- The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (John Porter Monitor Mix)
- The Queen Is Dead (Full Version)
- There Is a Light That Never Goes Out (Take 1)
- This Night Has Opened My Eyes (Studio Version)
- Unloveable (Inverness 01-10-85) Soundcheck. This song was never performed live
- What Do You See In Him? (Manchester 04-02-83) Wonderful Woman early version
- What She Said (Oxford 18-03-85) Poll Winners Free EP with NME 1985
- William, It Was Really Nothing (Oxford 18-03-85) Meat Is Murder Aborted Live EP 1985

Is correct friends?
This list is permanent update.
The Smiths have returned. Christmas has arrived after twenty-three years !!

Interesting information that might have been missed, worth posting again.
Stephane, ha you could publish your own sourcebook (with Croch2's contribution as well). Watch out Simon Goddard!

Motorways, thank you for this! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom