The Smiths @UEA contract in January 1984

44501_uea_contract_1984.jpg

Famous when dead also posted:

"Clive Whittaker booked the Smiths for two gigs:
3rd June 1983 @ The Fighting Cocks in Moseley & 20th March 1984 @ The Tower Ballroom, Birmingham.
Clive informs me that the gig at the The Fighting Cocks in Moseley was only 2/3 full and he lost a lot of money. As a result, The Smiths management gave him the Tower Ballroom gig cheaply as a means of recouping his loss."

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefact/12497/SMITHS_CONTRACT_1984

Same year, a couple of months later.
Regards,
FWD.

44500_birmingham_contract_1984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

24 lagers well done boys get your priorities right,oh and some sandwiches.interesting document says show starts at 10 and finishes at 10.45 and people on here say M does a short show,£3.00 entrance fee those were the days.

Last edited:
HiRes-1.jpg

"Clive Whittaker booked the Smiths for two gigs:
3rd June 1983 @ The Fighting Cocks in Moseley & 20th March 1984 @ The Tower Ballroom, Birmingham.
Clive informs me that the gig at the The Fighting Cocks in Moseley was only 2/3 full and he lost a lot of money. As a result, The Smiths management gave him the Tower Ballroom gig cheaply as a means of recouping his loss."

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefact/12497/SMITHS_CONTRACT_1984

Same year, a couple of months later.
Regards,
FWD.

24 lagers well done boys get your priorities right,oh and some sandwiches.interesting document says show starts at 10 and finishes at 10.45 and people on here say M does a short show,£3.00 entrance fee those were the days.

Adjusting for inflation, it would be about £10 today. Hard to believe. On concert length... being relatively early in their career they didn't have many songs at the time while Morrissey now has what ... close to 200 songs to draw from (Smiths + solo)?

Last edited:
Adjusting for inflation, it would be about £10 today. Hard to believe. On concert length... being relatively early in their career they didn't have many songs at the time while Morrissey now has what ... close to 200 songs to draw from (Smiths + solo)?
you were nearly right suede according to a price now price then calculator,£3 in 1984 is now worth £9.60.

I assume you mean 2000?
They had played longer sets by then (e.g. Electric Ballroom Dec '83) but Moz was ill (even then) and had similarly played only 40 minutes at the Lyceum two days earlier, although they went on to play a lengthy set at Hammersmith Palais only a month later. The revelation here is that this contract was written one month previously! Bloody hell, I want my money back!
Moz did a Radio Norfolk interview with Jerry Foulkes earlier the same day, and there's plenty of photos around backstage at UEA, so judge for yourself if he was pulling a sickie.
By the end of the year the Jesus and Mary Chain were turning in 15 minute sets, so I guess we were blessed.

Surprised to see probably no more than 350 including all covers. Actually, it would be a nice exercise if someone could definitively list the lot, including unreleased and covers, for his whole career, in chronological order of composition and/or (non-) release. PJLM would be the go-to source... Any takers?

I was at the UEA show. It was indeed less than an hour long. The first album wasn't yet out so we din't know most of the songs but they sounded great even though Morrissey had a stinking cold. I went backstage afterwards with a couple of girls and we chatted with all the boys in the band (Johnny particularly friendly) including Moz who was wrapped up in a coat and scarf and looked cream crackered and was losing his voice. A great night.

I was at the UEA show. It was indeed less than an hour long. The first album wasn't yet out so we din't know most of the songs but they sounded great even though Morrissey had a stinking cold. I went backstage afterwards with a couple of girls and we chatted with all the boys in the band (Johnny particularly friendly) including Moz who was wrapped up in a coat and scarf and looked cream crackered and was losing his voice. A great night.
Great night agreed, the fact that it was in the foyer made it more intimate than other UEA (LCR) gigs, and I was able to watch them loitering for the soundcheck from the Steve Biko room above.
I can only conclude that they only contracted for 45 minutes as it was a tour, rather than a sporadic bunch of dates (when they could afford to play longer sets), and the fact Moz had a cold was neither here nor there.

Great night agreed, the fact that it was in the foyer made it more intimate than other UEA (LCR) gigs, and I was able to watch them loitering for the soundcheck from the Steve Biko room above.
I can only conclude that they only contracted for 45 minutes as it was a tour, rather than a sporadic bunch of dates (when they could afford to play longer sets), and the fact Moz had a cold was neither here nor there.

Ha! The Steve Biko room. That has brought back memories. It was just next to SASSAF sandwich bar if I remember correctly. I presume you were at UEA like me? I was in EAS.

I was interested that in the contract The Smiths were scheduled to come on at 10pm. I remember a long wait between the support act (the Redskins?) and them and that they came on stage very late that night. One of the ENTS team told me that The Smiths were very delayed in traffic. But if you saw them soundcheck and the contract said 10pm they were probably on time.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom