The Smiths @UEA contract in January 1984

44501_uea_contract_1984.jpg

Famous when dead also posted:

"Clive Whittaker booked the Smiths for two gigs:
3rd June 1983 @ The Fighting Cocks in Moseley & 20th March 1984 @ The Tower Ballroom, Birmingham.
Clive informs me that the gig at the The Fighting Cocks in Moseley was only 2/3 full and he lost a lot of money. As a result, The Smiths management gave him the Tower Ballroom gig cheaply as a means of recouping his loss."

https://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/artefact/12497/SMITHS_CONTRACT_1984

Same year, a couple of months later.
Regards,
FWD.

44500_birmingham_contract_1984.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised to see probably no more than 350 including all covers. Actually, it would be a nice exercise if someone could definitively list the lot, including unreleased and covers, for his whole career, in chronological order of composition and/or (non-) release. PJLM would be the go-to source... Any takers?
I'd like to see the list of songs played since 2010-present. It seemed like the set was verrrrrrry similar for several years.

Fek ye reckon just the sight of this toilet paper "contract" makes me hate the Smiths even more. There is no way I am reading it. I reckon I am just happy Uncle Steve was able to use the Smiths and specifically John Maher as a stepping stone to complete his dream and move back home to Moz Angeles after he dropped those Brit foreigners and Portland, Oregon's own John Maher and went solo din't inn n n n n n nn n n nn n n n nnn n n n it. Reckon Steve is the definition of an American Capitalist.

Ha! The Steve Biko room. That has brought back memories. It was just next to SASSAF sandwich bar if I remember correctly. I presume you were at UEA like me? I was in EAS.

I was interested that in the contract The Smiths were scheduled to come on at 10pm. I remember a long wait between the support act (the Redskins?) and them and that they came on stage very late that night. One of the ENTS team told me that The Smiths were very delayed in traffic. But if you saw them soundcheck and the contract said 10pm they were probably on time.
Well they found time for Morrissey to do that interview for Radio Norfolk, not sure when or where in the day that occurred. Support was the Red Guitars.
Glad you're still here too after all these years. Yes I was at UEA and my daffodil T-shirt still fits!

Well they found time for Morrissey to do that interview for Radio Norfolk, not sure when or where in the day that occurred. Support was the Red Guitars.
Glad you're still here too after all these years. Yes I was at UEA and my daffodil T-shirt still fits!

Regards,
FWD.

Edit: after digging around for Red Guitars information - I found that the band have catalogued their gigs and included some Smiths flyers and tour information from when they were supporting The Smiths or Sandie Shaw & The Smiths during those early years.

liverpoolUni08_02_84.jpg

dundeeUniv03_03_1984.jpg

mayfairNewcastle07_03_1984.jpg

hammersmithPalais12_03_1984.jpg

https://www.redguitars.co.uk/gigs.php

It's always nice to unearth this type of thing - so thanks for the reminder.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Hello friends, could somebody transcript what the honourable Nick Raynes wrote inside the SPECIAL STIPULATIONS box? Especially what's written in items '5' and '7'. Many thanks.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom