The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
:oops::rock::rock::brows:

well rumours sayin’ he’s even better in guitar playing than he would be as prime minister... rumours, of course...:guitar: :lbf:
He was great in Deliverance.

banjoboy.gif

That’s what’s kinda laughable. Everytime I post something on solo, I get accused of being UnkleSkinny. I agree with him. But I am not him!
Say what you will about him, but he kinda runs the shop here.
don't tell Benjamin the butcher that or he will flip his lid,theres only one shop owner on this site and I begrudgingly have to give it the butcher shop man.

He was great in Deliverance.

banjoboy.gif
that kid never played a note on the banjo,if you watch the making of deliverance on youtube there was an older person whos hand came up from underneath and he did all the fretwork stuff.

I'd be staggered if it does happen.

Moz would probably see going back to The Smiths as a lucrative but worthless defeat ; effectively it writes off his 32 year solo career as a mistake, and would be a backwards step.

I don't think he would want to do it - and if he did, he's got so used to being captain of his own ship and giving orders, I doubt he'd be able to sustain a more democratic working relationship. Johnny wouldn't be able to be an employee these days : I can't imagine him, Craig, Mike & Andy all getting into identical T-shirts with "Morrissey IS The Smiths" written on them, no matter how many millions are at stake.

Given that Johnny is the only one who hasn't sued Morrissey, it also seems extremely unlikely they would want to even if Moz would.

Also, despite what we say, M was allegedly turning down deals in 1998-2002 as they stipulated he would have to sack his band, and he does have - or did do - some loyalty. Most likely would be Jesse taking a break and Johnny joining on lead guitar, with Boz on second guitar. But I still give that 0.7% chance of happening.

The big thing here is going back To Smiths is a one-time deal he can't walk back from. I can't see his commercial or critical stock rising after it, because, if we're honest many people found M through The Smiths, and if given the choice between solo Moz and The Smiths, I'd say 90% of punters would go for The Smiths. It might be the type of thing that might possible happen though : Moz's solo career in the UK is certainly the most unhealthy it's been in a very, very long time.

Moz would probably see going back to The Smiths as a lucrative but worthless defeat ; effectively it writes off his 32 year solo career as a mistake, and would be a backwards step.

I don't think he would want to do it - and if he did, he's got so used to being captain of his own ship and giving orders, I doubt he'd be able to sustain a more democratic working relationship. Johnny wouldn't be able to be an employee these days : I can't imagine him, Craig, Mike & Andy all getting into identical T-shirts with "Morrissey IS The Smiths" written on them, no matter how many millions are at stake.

Given that Johnny is the only one who hasn't sued Morrissey, it also seems extremely unlikely they would want to even if Moz would.

Also, despite what we say, M was allegedly turning down deals in 1998-2002 as they stipulated he would have to sack his band, and he does have - or did do - some loyalty. Most likely would be Jesse taking a break and Johnny joining on lead guitar, with Boz on second guitar. But I still give that 0.7% chance of happening.

The big thing here is going back To Smiths is a one-time deal he can't walk back from. I can't see his commercial or critical stock rising after it, because, if we're honest many people found M through The Smiths, and if given the choice between solo Moz and The Smiths, I'd say 90% of punters would go for The Smiths. It might be the type of thing that might possible happen though : Moz's solo career in the UK is certainly the most unhealthy it's been in a very, very long time.
Johnny definitely won’t be in it if we see his twitter reaction. So Moz, Andy, Mike with a guitarist would be the only option.
But Moz already has an album ready and planned for release in 2020 which makes this whole ‘article’ pointless. But hey, it’s always good for traffic.

The Smiths is dead, it belongs in the past. I'd be ridiculously happy with something so small as a guest spot - Johnny joining Moz for one encore or vice versa. Nothing fancy - just enough to show that they'd buried the hatchet, give us one enormous singalong of There Is A Light and put it all to bed.

There is about as much chance of a Smiths reunion as there is of Morrissey sleeping with a woman - none whatsoever . If there is any substance to this rumour then I suspect it's no more than some promoter/manager type investigating a potential earner before approaching moz and Johnny with a deal .

The Smiths is dead, it belongs in the past. I'd be ridiculously happy with something so small as a guest spot - Johnny joining Moz for one encore or vice versa. Nothing fancy - just enough to show that they'd buried the hatchet, give us one enormous singalong of There Is A Light and put it all to bed.

Yea. It must be great for you watching on YouTube as let’s be honest, it’s unlikely you’d be there. Right?

a non story which is regularly regurgitated,but as Thewlis said its good for traffic,282 comments later.this time next year it will raise its ugly head again.

Johnny definitely won’t be in it if we see his twitter reaction. So Moz, Andy, Mike with a guitarist would be the only option.
But Moz already has an album ready and planned for release in 2020 which makes this whole ‘article’ pointless. But hey, it’s always good for traffic.

A trusted source has confirmed that Craig Gannon will play guitar. Johnny Marr will be reforming Electronic with Sadiq Khan on vocals.

how would it write off his entire solo career as a mistake? He’s had massive success as a solo artist, 3 number ones and some magical albums, and great moments, it’s only been the last 5 years he’s been shit, since World Peace onwards. I think a reunion with Marr would do him the world of good, he’s just a miserable old man now with no spark, it’s sad to see. Moz needs positive vibes in his life, he just smacks or sour and bitter, and his music is depressing, it’s a chore to even listen to his recent material, I’d like to see him rejuvenated and making some changes, I’ve said all along he’s got one more masterpiece in him, but he needs help to be inspired, hard to do that when you’re stuck in the comfort zone and you’re band are third rate cruise ship tat.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom