The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
Morrissey knows very well how Johnny got his note wrong.

:cool:

I like Boz, he's a great player, but I wouldn't put him in the 'musical genius' pile...where the likes of Hendrix live...now that was pure genius.

Boz or even Marr, can one really speak about them in the same sentence as Hendrix ?!o_O

Nor could Johnny, to be fair; it always sounded weak during The Smiths’ lifetime.

To be fair, though, the record was a studio production & not easy to replicate live back in the ‘80’s.

Have you compared the two side by side?

I watched all the recent Moz US/Canada Tour footage clips for HSIN & thought this don't sound right...I'm talking about the guitar wail sound if you understand me before 'I am the son and the heir' (& of course throughout the song), then checked against some Smiths YT footage, & listened to it again on my headphones (yep it was bugging me that much o_O) ...to me Marr does it as it should sound, but Boz is always, always 'off'.

I do get that there was a lot of production & Marr explains at length in his book how he got there, but I still think Marr achieves it 'live', whereas Boz just doesn't...unless my ears deceive me.

Have you compared the two side by side?

I watched all the recent Moz US/Canada Tour footage clips for HSIN & thought this don't sound right...I'm talking about the guitar wail sound if you understand me before 'I am the son and the heir' (& of course throughout the song), then checked against some Smiths YT footage, & listened to it again on my headphones (yep it was bugging me that much o_O) ...to me Marr does it as it should sound, but Boz is always, always 'off'.

I do get that there was a lot of production & Marr explains at length in his book how he got there, but I still think Marr achieves it 'live', whereas Boz just doesn't...unless my ears deceive me.

I’ve not closely studied or compared, no; but I’ve heard a lot of pretty weak versions played live by The Smiths.

It stands to reason that Johnny would play it right - seeing as he composed it - but it always sounded empty to me, especially when he was trying to reproduce it as the lone guitar player on stage.

Boz or even Marr, can one really speak about them in the same sentence as Hendrix ?!o_O

Cheers, I've heard that before, thanks for the reminder.
Marr tries valiantly, & I know it's only a sound check, but no cigar on this occasion, I'm afraid.

I’ve not closely studied or compared, no; but I’ve heard a lot of pretty weak versions played live by The Smiths.

It stands to reason that Johnny would play it right - seeing as he composed it - but it always sounded empty to me, especially when he was trying to reproduce it as the lone guitar player on stage.

This is how it should sound minus the vocals.

I think I'd take any version which The Smiths might give me & be grateful really. It's getting a bit cliched now (HSIN) I know, but it remains a masterpiece all the same.

This is how it should sound minus the vocals.

Thanks Viva...it's still not right, is it? it sounds slightly laboured to me.
Marr, get off the stage, get off the stage...(with the singing I mean)

I've posted this before, but have a listen...from Hatful of Hollow...yep I know it's studio version but...

& then The Smiths live let me down...cheers Johnny Marr struggling with his own material in 1986...:eek:
Forgiven though..still a great live version

No doubt albums by Bowie, Lou Reed and Patti Smith will be available to purchase in the foyer at some piss-takingly huge mark-up, signed by all 4 Smiths... won't they?

Last edited:
I would, however, prefer it if Morrissey played smaller venues; I’m not really a fan of arenas.
That's the one upside I can see to all the recent troubles and the UK fanbase collapse - if he ever does play this country again, it will have to be a return to smaller clubs and theatres, rather than big soulless arenas.

No doubt albums by Bowie, Lou Reed and Patti Smith will be available to purchase in the foyer at some piss-takingly huge mark-up, signed by all 4 Smiths. Won't they?

Yep, I guess...mindyou, people would buy anything with all 4 signatures, even if it was an album by Billy Bragg...even I would make an exception ;)

& then The Smiths live let me down...cheers Johnny Marr struggling with his own material in 1986...:eek:
Forgiven though..still a great live version

Yes he is struggling with it as usual. just couldnt get it right. either late or early or a wrong chord containing
the wrong notes.:mad:

thus Boz in, DramaJ:
tenor.gif

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom