The Smiths - This Charming Man (Desolated Mix)

Ah, lol.... I sounded grumpy. It's a good job, it's just that it's as if they asked you: "Improve Botticelli's Birth of Venus".... and you can be incredibly talented, but it's so damn perfect that it's hard to get WHAT could be improved.
That presupposes that remixes are only valid if they "improve" the original. Bands like Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and many others have featured remixes by other artists/producers on their own releases. Is that because they thought those remixes improved their original versions? We all prefer the original, but I don't think that's the only standard to judge a remix or alternate version.

Last edited:
That presupposes that remixes are only valid if they "improve" the original. Bands like Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and many others have featured remixes by other artists/producers on their own releases. Is that because they thought those remixes improved their original versions? We all prefer the original, but I don't think that's the only standard to judge a remix or alternate version.
It is indeed a good point, that a good remix doesn't have to improve on the original, which is often very difficult. For me it's enough, if the remix reveals something new in the song through approaching it from a different angle. Of course PSB and DM are electronic bands, and in that culture often radical remixes are not unusual. But with this very competent This Charming Man I find it problematic that another guitar-based version of a guitar-based song is just too close to the original for it to have enough point for me to listen it again. I would be very interested in hearing electronic versions of songs by Moz or Smiths though.

I agree, my intention is never to surpass the original, just to make my vision or an alternative version of the music for people to hear and enjoy

:)

just remove the docile
:handpointdown:

lawn-mower-emoticon.gif

stems to improve the song FFS easy as 1-2-3:hammer:

A lot of bands released remixes which are better than the original (Psychic TV could be an example)... of course, they had the master at hand, so it's easier, they also played some "extra music" in several cases, which would be quite absurd here.
I was not complaining anyway. It's not a bad remix.

Speaking of remixes, I remember years ago Thievery Corporation mentioned that they had remixed a Morrissey song and thought they were close to getting permission to release it... they never said which song and it looks like that permission never came. Anyway, I found this old thread where it was discussed here. I'm curious if the remix is out there somewhere?

A really enjoyable remix. Thank you for sharing, and well done.

Back
Top Bottom