"The Smiths" Saudi Arabia CS [747 New Wave 9136]

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Saw this linked on Twitter today. No nips. No sirree.

As0VmLl.jpg

P.

Interesting to me personally as I lived in Saudi Arabia as a boy (age 10-13 roughly, or '84-86') and I remember the 747 "label." These were all bootlegs of proper releases. The music shops in Riyadh had thousands and thousands of titles for very cheap, as I recall. I had many of the hot (read: embarrassing) titles of the day. Sadly, not this one.

Whenever I'd come home for a visit I'd worry that US Customs would confiscate my illegal copies of Flock of Seagulls and Styx albums.

And yes - any cover art that was deemed risque was edited in some form or another.

Last edited:
Small world, I lived in Jeddah for most of the '80s. I remember many a shopping trip to buy 747 cassette tapes. Dirt cheap and the quality was always sketchy. I do remember quite a few lyric books that just absolutely mangled the English translation of the lyrics.

Interesting to me personally as I lived in Saudi Arabia as a boy (age 10-13 roughly, or '84-86') and I remember the 747 "label." These were all bootlegs of proper releases. The music shops in Riyadh had thousands and thousands of titles for very cheap, as I recall. I had many of the hot (read: embarrassing) titles of the day. Sadly, not this one.

Whenever I'd come home for a visit I'd worry that US Customs would confiscate my illegal copies of Flock of Seagulls and Styx albums.

And yes - any cover art that was deemed risque was edited in some form or another.

Back
Top Bottom