The Smiths - Rare Spanish TV Interview (1985)

Irregular Regular

Forget my fate.
I have uploaded this rarely seen Spanish TV interview from 1985.

The interview is in Spanish, I have translated the questions so that you can all get an idea as to what's going on. :)

Questions:

1. Johnny, who is Morrissey to you and what effect has meeting him had in your life?

2. And to you Morrissey, who is Johnny Marr? What would have happened to your lyrics without his music?

3. Is it true that you are both very different but perfectly complementary?

4. Johnny, you once said that the notion of The Smiths as a group is more important than any single individual within it, how would you describe the group? What is that notion? What is the essence of The Smiths?

5. You’ve always been very confident about your music and never relied on publicity or external support, why is that? Is it because it comes directly from your soul? Is that why you are so confident?

6. Yet, despite a lack of publicity, success has been huge and has come very fast. How do you cope with all that success being such sensitive types, especially someone like you Morrissey, someone who loves solitude and books so much?

7. And again, despite the success being huge and fast, it wouldn’t appear as though it is something that will go away any time soon. Do you think success is here to stay?

8. Your fans appear be given to love rather than hysteria, who is your audience? Are they as sensitive as you are?

9. You’d like to reach a wide audience yet you once said ‘I write songs for people who never go to gigs or watch tv or listen to radio’…

10. How do you feel about tomorrow’s gig in Madrid, a gig that will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people on tv?

11. Is it important for you to see an emotional audience?

12. Do you worry about being categorised as the best band in the world, the band of the 80’s? Isn’t that too much responsibility?

13. Do you have enemies?

14. Who are your worst enemies?

15. Changing subject, how important is popular music in today’s society? How does the music reflect society?

16. As Johnny Marr once said, Morrissey, you’ve always been interested in literature, art and politics. What aspects of politics worry you the most?

17. Meat Is Murder, is it for real?

18. Would you be as explicit in other songs about other aspects of your ideology?

19. Artistically, what worries you the most? I understand you had the sentence ‘art and life are two different things, that’s why one is called art and the other is called life’ painted on your bedroom wall, which of these two interest you the most?

20. Do you think a lot about art and life?

21. What is more attractive to you, literature or music? What do you enjoy the most, writing the lyrics or singing?

22. Do you write songs together (at the same time), or do the lyrics come first?

23. Morrissey, what do you enjoy the most, writing the lyrics or singing?

24. Who are your favourite bands? What type of music do you listen to?

25. Morrissey, talking about the 60’s, are you familiar with a musician called Michel Polnareff?

26. Do you keep in touch with the music of today, new bands, etc?

27. Why do you hate videos? Is it because you love films so much?

28. What makes The Smiths different?

29. Is there anything you’d like to add for your Spanish fans?

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one. Have you heard Michel Polnareff?
"Dans La Maison Vide" Begins with a rather familiar sound.

Johnny looks miserable throughout the whole thing and like he can't really be bothered to answer questions. Was he hungover or something? His first answer was a bit dismissive and didn't make much sense. "Erm...just a friend, really. He's my collaborator, er.. I mean, we're not...whatever it is between friends that's good, that's what we have, it wasn't a big deal to me". :straightface: eh?

Moz definitely saved the day on this one.

What a bizarre set. I'm kinda loving that a woman is translating for Morrissey.

Last edited:
It can be found attached to this live performance on smithstorrents.
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/live/smiths-g850518.htm

It certainly can, but not everyone here will have seen that.
I also took time to translate the questions so that people can follow the flow of the interview, I don't believe the torrent has the questions translated to English...

'there is always someone, somewhere, with a big nose, etc, etc, etc'

His Marrness is miserable because those zebra pillows coupled with his image are so not happening

It certainly can, but not everyone here will have seen that.
I also took time to translate the questions so that people can follow the flow of the interview, I don't believe the torrent has the questions translated to English...

'there is always someone, somewhere, with a big nose, etc, etc, etc'

Thanks Irregular Regular. Much appreciated.

(I must admit I only watched about 4 minutes of it. I spend my life listening to someone else talk over and for Morrissey, it was irritating hearing it in an interview too which I cherish, hearing him speak.)

Back
Top Bottom