The Smiths Official YT: "What Difference Does It Make?" - TOTP '84 (January 20, 2021)

Screenshot_20210120-162608~2.png

(Perhaps a nod to the debated release date? I remember buying it on the Monday back then, but what do I know!?).
Regards,
FWD.

Right now I'm listening to the '92 Zenith concert on Beethoven Was Deaf vinyl. I've had it since '93. Where did all of the time go?
“Where did all the time go”
Looking back at this album and it’s release, I would never have thought to myself, that I would be in a position that I’m now in, very content, happy, and achieved some things that , back then were a pipe dream.
I can only presume you are similar?
In some way!
Them was rotten days ,
But always look forward olde boy,

It’s just a great album all together really. It’s now playing now in my hen shed😉
years of refusal had sleeve notes stating "play very loudly"
I am sure Beethoven was deaf had sleeve notes stating "play loudly in hen shed"
👍😉
hope it's sturdy mate it's blowing a gale here!

It's one of all my favorite Smiths songs .
Oh Oh my little one my Moz, my Mozzy's!!!!! My Chuchi Chuchi !!!!! Mmmmm!!!!
Never heard this song made by Morrissey sir ,(solo career).
Does anyone know if that version exists?

👍😉
One thing I can’t do is play loud music, I live in new build apartments.
I’m in the middle of three..
I had one of the neighbours, last August when it was my birthday, knocking on my door at 1am ....
So I’m on my best behaviour ever since....
Two things ... never by a new build,
And don’t party with your two eldest daughters 😜😜😜😜😜
Weather here has calmed a little.
Went for a walk today in my local park and it was flooded everywhere..

Action... What you gonna stick on next, I’ll try to follow

What song???

👍😉
I’m now on with Viva hate,
The updated issue , so I’ve been told
From Alexa, the quietist woman I’ve ever known 🤫🤫

What Difference Does It Make?
No, he never did that one solo and The Smiths never played it again after 1984.

Morrissey said he didn't like the song anymore after it was messed up on the debut album.

Last edited:
What Difference Does It Make?
No, he never did that one solo and The Smiths never played it again after 1984.

Morrissey doesn't like the song.
A very difficult song to sing live I would imagine... No breaks as it’s constant singing all the way through...
while we’re on about this song.... and it’s meaning...
Is it about a gay person coming out to a straight friend?
And the non specified, woman, man, gay or straight person involved, gender neutral as we say today ?

A very difficult song to sing live I would imagine... No breaks as it’s constant singing all the way through...
while we’re on about this song.... and it’s meaning...
Is it about a gay person coming out to a straight friend?
And the non specified, woman, man, gay or straight person involved, gender neutral as we say today ?
Personally, that's what I always thought it's about, yes.
The other person is someone he trusted and held in very high regards, but they let him down because they can't accept who he truly is and understandably that leaves him angry and disappointed.

The other person is someone he trusted and held in very high regards, but they let him down because they can't accept who he truly is and understandably that leaves him angry and disappointed.
He could also have been singing from the third person, thus giving the song a multitude of various scenarios ..... Which is what I said before, but you account seems less complicated......
Is there no end to this madness,

He could also have been singing from the third person, thus giving the song a multitude of various scenarios ..... Which is what I said before, but you account seems less complicated......
Is there no end to this madness,
Idk, I don't think it matters whose perspective he's singing from. It's about intolerance and betrayal and how much it sucks.
But the "I" in Morrissey's lyrics always feels very personal.

One thing I love about this performance is the way Mike Joyce is so obviously in awe of Morrissey as he drums away in the background. I don't think he can quite believe he's there on TOTP. If you watch him smile wryly and shake his head at 2.15 it says it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I love about this performance is the way Mike Joyce is so obviously in awe of Morrissey as he drums away in the background. I don't think he can quite believe he's there on TOTP. If you watch him smile wryly and shake his head at 2.15 it says it all.
Just like when mike was in the court room rubbing his hands together, at the thought of getting the morrissey family homes......
Any how , how are you dale, rant over ....
How’s things olde boy???
And yes mike does look so pleased to be there, as it was a swift rise to stardom for them all really.....
Hope your well......

I reckon why is this on the main page tossey wacker tit mate? The California Son with his fake glasses that Steve Street made him wear all drugged up on meth and scopolamine that Steve Street kept injecting him with when he was kidnapped after he strayed from Chrissie Hynde. I reckon no wonder why the California Son hates Brittin and the smiths. Having watched this just for 10 seconds really shows what a shitty band the smiths were and what a joke the Oregon Son is as a guitarist. I reckon thank St Patrick the California Son was rescued and brought back home to Moz Angeles in 1987 c*** winding up mate chipper curry northern base inn nn n nnnnn n nnn it.

Fark Arse

I agree too - I always thought it was about coming out to a straight friend (& confiding that you have feelings for them?) - then imagining that they're disgusted, call you all sorts of stuff and drop you like a hot brick.

In the TOTP video, I love how Moz starts the song with his arms up in the air - so theatrical. "Hi folks, I'm here". Love Johnny's dancing too.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom