The Smiths named as Manchester band with the 'biggest vocabulary' - Manchester Evening News

Bigmouth strikes again: The Smiths named as Manchester band with the 'biggest vocabulary' - Manchester Evening News

Excerpt:

"A study has found The Smiths used more than 1,100 different words in their first three albums alone."

"On average The Smiths, who split in 1987 after five years together, used 196 words per song on their first three albums - The Smiths, Meat is Murder and the critically acclaimed The Queen Is Dead."

"Each of the 31 tracks, including hits This Charming Man and There Is A Light that Never Goes Out, was found to contain on average 37 unique lyrics."

Last edited by a moderator:
hE66DBD56

Manchester Evening News hates Morrissey.

You should listen to a bootleg of 05/11/2002 Brixton Academy gig.

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/moz-g021105.htm

After "Alsatian Cousin" Morrissey went on a long rant: "I'd just like to mention that... a Northern newspaper called the Manchester Evening News... well... as I've said before, we think it's a newspaper, but we're not really sure... and they ran a poll with their readers to see who would be the greatest Mancunian, and... you will never guess who won the poll... (crowd cheers) and also, it was obviously against the wishes of the newspaper because the spineless bastards printed in their report that I actually hate Manchester. Well, I absolutely do not hate Manchester, I love Manchester and... (crowd cheers very loudly) Do you mind? Do you mind if a rather crooked record is set straight... Do you mind? (crowd: no!) I didn't think you would..."

This doesn't surprise me- I expect the lyrical quality is what attracted most people to the Smiths.

He used the word miserable a lot in the first year. He was great then though.

Alot = twice? Only Miserable Lie and Heaven Knows spring to mind.

Well two is a lot in titles.
C'mon Mozzer fan's how many times did the great man use the word Miserable in lyrics between his birth and heaven Knows?

"Each of the 31 tracks, including hits This Charming Man and There Is A Light that Never Goes Out, was found to contain on average 37 unique lyrics."

Each of the songs would in fact contain just one lyric. The lyric (singular) is the words to one song. Lyrics (plural) are the words to more than one song, and words are just...words.

well now it's so easy make a hit just writte "BABY" a thousand times and works

baby baby baby
I love you
hit me hit me
I miss you
baby baby baby

a #1 HIT!!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom