The Smiths "Musically Speaking"

From the comments, this sounds superb, so am gutted to have missed out. If anyone could re-upload, then that would be much appreciated!

Yeah, not sure why this is not on the front page if it's that good. Instead we seem to be locked in a pointless debate over three notes with a couple of halfwits.

Yeah, not sure why this is not on the front page if it's that good. Instead we seem to be locked in a pointless debate over three notes with a couple of halfwits.

This is no pointless debate. We are talking about the best album of 2016 (according to all world music magazines = DB "Blackstar"), or more accurate, about the most important music video of 2016 (DB "Lazarus") - because, the key sound/mood of "Lazarus" (3 melancholic notes ta taa taaaa) is direct music retouch(ing) from The Smiths "Oscillate Wildly".

Well, you like Berlin Trilogy ("Low" - fantastic!). OK. Fine. But.
The key person, for Bowie, during Berlin Trilogy was (with I. Pop) - B. Eno. Visconti was just - water-carrier.

There's no denying Eno's contribution to the Berlin Trilogy, but your assessment of Visconti would not be shared by either Bowie or Eno. In one of the documentaries that was on TV after Bowie's death, Eno called Visconti a "genius". You don't have to agree, but there it is.

For Low, Eno was only in the studio for a relatively short period. The backing tracks for side one had already been recorded before he arrived, and he just added some overdubs to a couple of them. And he left before any of the lead vocals were recorded, along with the rest of the band. Everyone involved deserves great credit, but it really is a Bowie/Visconti production.

Well, you like Berlin Trilogy ("Low" - fantastic!). OK. Fine. But.
The key person, for Bowie, during Berlin Trilogy was (with I. Pop) - B. Eno. Visconti was just - water-carrier.

So it happened like this then ? :lbf: .... oh poor 'co-producer' tony ! ;)

Oh thank you FWD and IR :)

Listening to TQID now. Amazing early cut.
Some girls works perfectly as an instrumental. That tume really demanded a more meaningful lyric didn't it?

Obviously I prefer the vocal versions but as someone pointed out above its amazing to hear the craft that went into Stop me.

Alright you Bowie theorists. As you were.

Cheers.

*UPDATE*

Someone kindly made one other instrumental track available tonight, it is fan made so you can still hear very faint traces of Morrissey's vocals in it.
Still, I believe it is worthy of inclusion in this compilation, so I have edited and re-uploaded the zip.file here... Smiths.zip

thanks very much for this comp! some very interesting stuff on here....

which was the late addition from the original post?

Well I suppose it is that time of the year...
I have put together this 9 track compilation spanning their entire career.
There is a twist though, these are The Smiths as you have never heard them before.
And I promise you one or two surprises too. :)

So turn off the lights, get your headphones on and enjoy!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/f1i4p1

Here is the cover I made for it...

15pjs5t.jpg

Happy Xmas to one and all!

Updated to include Vicar In A Tutu.

Have to ask , are you friends with Alistair? he says this kind of stuff. at first I put it down to bitterness about his falling out with KY. He says pretty much what you say. He often uses the term "leach" about him too. -though he uses it about other people in M's circle.
I saw him throw shade at Tony a few times, on KYs page and on some other peoples .
Tony came on a mutual friend of ours and said stuff about how Muslims should get their house in order, after some of the London events. AM said, I quote, " Oh yes, that would have been like asking you to sort out the Mafia problems in NY just because you happen to be birthed of Italian stock, or asking every Christian to take some blame for the actions of Bush and Blair . You are a very pedestrian thinker Tony " LOL . Then he went on to say
"I have to to say some of my most treasured records ,Trex, Sparks and Bowie, were produced by you . However don't you feel a touch of shame for stealing praise that should have went to Ronson and has there ever been any producer in the history of popular music who has leached off the name of an artist they worked with, as much as you do? You never say saw George Martin go around touring Lennon's work, as the body cooled on the slab . You don't see Ken Scott suddenly form a band wear an orange wig and tour Ziggy and Sane. Pathetic"
If you are friends with with him, tell him to unblock Jamie

Back
Top Bottom