The Smiths "Musically Speaking"

I totally agree. But I just do not think DB would borrow something from Moz after all that mess.

I really really respect what you're saying and, for me, there's nothing really new. Everything is copied and pasted somehow.

Yes, I agree.
I'm not a very informed Bible reader but the one-liner from " the Preacher book " comes to mind:
" There is nothing new under the sun". That's a very old insight, won't you agree?
And even that "saying" isn't new.

But I don't think it should withold you or me or anyone else to search or to find inspiration in music or art cause sometimes you stumble on to something magic, exhilarating and meaningful to you as a person. You won't if you're not open to it, or get depressed or disappointed by the thought everything is copied and pasted.
Cheers Raphael Lambach!

I love Oscillate Wildly, but that 3 musical notes are so much everywhere in popualr music that it really needs a fanatic to think it is ''stolen''. One could easily find the same 3 notes in the same sequence in many Morrissey songs, still, it wouldn't be a ''theft''. This is nonsense.

Or, did Morrissey steal from Lobo in Neal Cassady drops dead :) ?

OK. No problem. Of course. But. Show me the link, give me the link (on youtube...) of/from the song with exact 3 musical notes we have in "Lazarus" and "Oscillate Wildly". Good luck (case closed).

Yes, I agree.
I'm not a very informed Bible reader but the one-liner from " the Preacher book " comes to mind:
" There is nothing new under the sun". That's a very old insight, won't you agree?
And even that "saying" isn't new.

But I don't think it should withold you or me or anyone else to search or to find inspiration in music or art cause sometimes you stumble on to something magic, exhilarating and meaningful to you as a person. You won't if you're not open to it, or get depressed or disappointed by the thought everything is copied and pasted.
Cheers Raphael Lambach!

Yes, you're right. it could've came from Tony Visconti as someone said but I doubt. I think It's only a good coincidence.

OK. No problem. Of course. But. Show me the link, give me the link (on youtube...) of/from the song with exact 3 musical notes we have in "Lazarus" and "Oscillate Wildly". Good luck (case closed).

Ok let's see.

1) if you are willing to lead a civilised conversation, ''case closed'' is not the best remark especially if you ask me to show examples.

2). I have no musical instruments with me right now, so can't specify you the very exact notes, but even these 3 notes are different: in Oscillate Wildly the second notes ascends then the third descends, lower than the first one. In Lazarus, the three notes are linearly descending. So, they are not even in the same order, they are not the exact same 3 notes. It IS different.

3) Let's play your game and say someone ''lifted'' the idea from OW to Lazarus. I could list many examples from Smiths/Morrissey songs, where the ''theft'' is far more obvious, and in your face: take ''I started something'' intro and ''Cracked actor'' intro. It's a direct lift, by the way, as admitted by Marr. Or the much reported '' I know it's gonna happenn...'' outro to ''Rock and roll suicide'' outro. These ''lifts'' are way more blatant and obvious. These are just two examples.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with such ''lifts'', they are very common within pop nusic, it's a kind of hommage to an artist. My point is, if you accuse Bowie camp of something i find very unlikely, look around in Morrissey's camp, too, you'll find the same thing, or, as i detalied above, even ''worse''.

Ok let's see.

1) if you are willing to lead a civilised conversation, ''case closed'' is not the best remark especially if you ask me to show examples.

2). I have no musical instruments with me right now, so can't specify you the very exact notes, but even these 3 notes are different: in Oscillate Wildly the second notes ascends then the third descends, lower than the first one. In Lazarus, the three notes are linearly descending. So, they are not even in the same order, they are not the exact same 3 notes. It IS different.

3) Let's play your game and say someone ''lifted'' the idea from OW to Lazarus. I could list many examples from Smiths/Morrissey songs, where the ''theft'' is far more obvious, and in your face: take ''I started something'' intro and ''Cracked actor'' intro. It's a direct lift, by the way, as admitted by Marr. Or the much reported '' I know it's gonna happenn...'' outro to ''Rock and roll suicide'' outro. These ''lifts'' are way more blatant and obvious. These are just two examples.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with such ''lifts'', they are very common within pop nusic, it's a kind of hommage to an artist. My point is, if you accuse Bowie camp of something i find very unlikely, look around in Morrissey's camp, too, you'll find the same thing, or, as i detalied above, even ''worse''.

Dear friend,

a) I was talking about specific case: "Lazarus" / "OW"; no questions, "Lazarus" 3 notes comes from "OW".

b) "I know..." / "Rock and roll..."; well, dear friend, this is (musically speaking) pure Mick Ronson song = The Producer of "Your Arsenal". M in UNCUT:
UNCUT: Why did you want Mick to produce Your Arsenal?
MORRISSEY: I was struck by the enormity of Mick’s contribution to every record he’d played on – arrangements, incredible guitar, beautiful backing vocals, classical piano – he did it all, and he was northern and glamorous... Listen to the piano on Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day”! Listen to most of the arrangements on Transformer! Mick even accidentally provided the title for that album! Mick also told me that he had written the main guitar riffs for “Starman” and “The Man Who Sold The World”, but a share of the credits wasn’t on offer. During Your Arsenal, Mick used the “Rock’n’Roll Suicide” coda on the track “I Know It’s Gonna Happen Someday”, and I tapped him on the shoulder and said, “Hang on, that’s ‘Rock’n’Roll Suicide’,” and he said, “Yes, but since I wrote the original, there won’t be any comeback.” He'd done all the Bowie years for 45 quid a week... (Uncut, February 2013)

c) Leach (Tony Visconti) - so much to answer for.

Last edited:
But....they don't. I will get back to you later today on the 3 exact notes.

Dear friend,

They (3 notes) are no clones, BUT, source, cause and rise are/is - The Smiths OW.
Of course, you can use music manuscript book and pen, but if you (via listen in) don't hear (with an ear for music) matching mood/sound/SPIRIT, well...
And remember, Visconti is - the key.

Dear friend,

They (3 notes) are no clones, BUT, source, cause and rise are/is - The Smiths OW.
Of course, you can use music manuscript book and pen, but if you (via listen in) don't hear (with an ear for music) matching mood/sound/SPIRIT, well...

Friend,
Why exactly d'you think TV steals from others?

Dear friend,

What and wher eare the proof that the cause, source is OW, apart from what YOU think?

Thank you, I do have ears for music, but i'm not Marred to announce ''i know i'm right because i'm a musician'' :) I have no problem if you are obsessed with the thought it was ''stolen'' or ''lifted'', and possibly nothing or no one will change your mind, so I won't even try. Believe in this; you're free to do so.

Yes, solid job on RoTT - big, huge banking check for T. Visconti of course.
Kid? People? Hm.
Blackstar? The Next day? = dull, very dull.

I like Popele too. The problem with Kid is the song itself...
Don't you like, pal, Bowies's albums?

From the comments, this sounds superb, so am gutted to have missed out. If anyone could re-upload, then that would be much appreciated!

I agree. Station to station is amazing but Berlin trilogy is better.
TV helped Bowie to be who he was...

Well, you like Berlin Trilogy ("Low" - fantastic!). OK. Fine. But.
The key person, for Bowie, during Berlin Trilogy was (with I. Pop) - B. Eno. Visconti was just - water-carrier.

Back
Top Bottom