The Smiths in the media - book review, Johnny Marr updates

Negative review of "A Light That Never Goes Out" in The Independent

Link posted by esperanza (original post) and also GregCannon (original post):

A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of The Smiths, By Tony Fletcher - by Steve Jelbert, The Independent
The outsider's guide to Eighties Britain

--
UPDATE: 10:05 AM PT:

See also a scan of the Sunday Times review by Andrew Smith posted in the comments by Uncleskinny.

Blur's Alex James wants to work with Johnny Marr

Kewpie sends the link:

Blur's Alex James: 'I want to work with Johnny Marr' - NME.com
Bassist says he fancies joining supergroup with Smiths legend and Chic man Nile Rodgers

Johnny Marr Features On 'The Sweeney' Film Soundtrack

Link from MORRIZSEY:

Hear Johnny Marr's take on the Sweeney theme - thedigitalfix.com

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr has played on the soundtrack from the forthcoming movie The Sweeney, starring Ray Winstone, Ben Drew (Plan B), Hayley Atwell and Damian Lewis.

The guitarist and songwriter plays guitar throughout the soundtrack, with the exception of the original ‘Sweeney’ theme, which is remixed for the new film, out on 12th September 2012.

Last edited:
There was another review of the Tony Fletcher book in last weeekend's Sunday Times, the pages of the Culture magazine are just too big to fit on the scanner, so the extreme left of the larger part is marginally chopped...

2dl24h.jpg

mtxidi.jpg

Alex James' words are merely words. Marr would never work with him.

I just ordered this book and the updated The Severed Alliance from Amazon UK. (I live in the US where neither is available as of yet.) I sincerely hope both books are worth the trouble of importing them. Actually, I am sure I will be pleased because I just have to have everything I can get my hands on where Morrissey and the Smiths, (and a few unnamed others,) are concerned.

Negative review of "A Light That Never Goes Out" in The Independent

Sounds like a load of flabby pants.

Hmm I might buy this if it's written better than Rogan's book. Dead Girl, can you send a review once you've read it? :)

am gonna come down on you so hard youll have to reach up to tie your shoelaces---the sweeney. not even jonny marr should be messing about with best cop show ever.------you slag.

There was another review of the Tony Fletcher book in last weeekend's Sunday Times, the pages of the Culture magazine are just too big to fit on the scanner, so the extreme left of the larger part is marginally chopped...

2dl24h.jpg

mtxidi.jpg

Why must some reviewers use a book to offer a summary of events detailed in the book rather than actually review the work itself?

I just ordered this book and the updated The Severed Alliance from Amazon UK. (I live in the US where neither is available as of yet.) I sincerely hope both books are worth the trouble of importing them. Actually, I am sure I will be pleased because I just have to have everything I can get my hands on where Morrissey and the Smiths, (and a few unnamed others,) are concerned.

I can't tell you about the new one, I've just ordered it, but The Severed Alliance is a fantastic book, you'll love it. The first chapter is kinda boring but after that it becomes a must-have.

Strangeways is patchy? The boy's a complete imbecile if he really believes that.

I read the original The Severed Alliance years ago and I enjoyed it because I knew almost nothing about the details of Morrissey's life back then. It will be nice to re-read it and see what I think now that I have more knowledge on the subject. I can certainly write a review of A Light That Never Goes Out once I have received it and devoured it. I am looking forward to the book even if it got a bad review. I never go by such things when forming an opinion anyway.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom