The Smiths in latest issue of Entertainment Weekly

I didn't see it on here yet, but in the current issue of Entertainment Weekly there is a pull out section entitled "The Indie Rock 25".
The Smiths are listed as the essential Indie Rock band of 1985. The essential track is " How Soon is Now", and gives a brief albeit summary of the band in 1985.
There is also a fairly large picture of the Smiths in the middle of the spread.

Needless to say opening this mag and finding this article has clearly made my day!!!

The article as follows:

"Has rock music ever had a poet-prince more spectacularly emotive then one Mr. Stephen Patrick Morrissey?
On the Smiths' second full-length, their only non-compilation release to hit No. 1 on the UK charts, Moz came into his own as a man of political principle, condemning carnivores, corporal punishment, and the Thatcher regime in the sweep of 10 gorgeously crafted pop songs. From it's military album art to screeds like the title track and "The Headmaster Ritual," Murder at times seemed more like an ambitious civics lesson then a mere album, and many bemoaned its lack of cohesive musicality. Still, while the band would go on to create more polished and melodic works ( 1986's The Queen is Dead is, track by track , a masterpiece ) in their brief , brilliant career, this release remains a giant of its time. And for all his polemics, Morrissey still managed to strip himself bare with one immortal, shimmering refrain: " I am human and I need to be loved/Just like everybody else does"

Last edited:
Totally made my day too. What is worse is that I got the magazine in the mail today. I have been getting it for about 9 months and have no clue why I am receiving it. I haven't gotten a bill for it so I can't stop it. I usually just throw it away but I decided to flip through it today.

Anytime I can see Moz/The Smiths mentioned in an American publication, it makes my day!!! :guitar:

thanks for posting! My dad gets EW so I just emailed him this morning to ask him to HOLD ON to that copy for me :)

Yes, I get it too--although the misspelling of 'Steven' is always highly distracting to me:rolleyes:

Later in the smane issue, by the way, a track off the new Panic at the Disco's new album is described as "Smithsian." Just thought I'd add that, for what it's worth.

Yes, I get it too--although the misspelling of 'Steven' is always highly distracting to me:rolleyes:

Later in the smane issue, by the way, a track off the new Panic at the Disco's new album is described as "Smithsian." Just thought I'd add that, for what it's worth.

Yeah, especially since "rock music has never had a poet-prince more spectacularly emotive then him" It's spelled ... S. T. E. V. E. N. ... :)

Thanks for the article, BM. I will have to get my hands on it if just for the pic. And clingy for the Panic mention. I'd bet it's about Stephen :p and I bet it sucks :D

Yeah, especially since "rock music has never had a poet-prince more spectacularly emotive then him" It's spelled ... S. T. E. V. E. N. ... :)

Thanks for the article, BM. I will have to get my hands on it if just for the pic. And clingy for the Panic mention. I'd bet it's about Stephen :p and I bet it sucks :D

Someone should send them a little reminder ..
Like this wonderful LOLMozzer by Renia! :D:D:D
izspelled.png

Someone should send them a little reminder ..
Like this wonderful LOLMozzer by Renia! :D:D:D
izspelled.png

I AM STILL SO PROUD OF THIS ONE.

I swear I'ma make it into a shirt and give one to Morrissey.

I bet he'd laugh. :D

It's so ironic. I got it on the mail today after reading this post. It was the first issue to come because of my ordering of Who Put the M in Manchester?
It was great to see The Replacements, Interpol and Radiohead in there. Probably in my top 10 bands of all time.

Back
Top Bottom