The Smiths go to the Movies

Outstanding. I think the most interesting clip is the one from "Dunkirk". The rest of the picture is totally unguessable from the cropped image on the sleeve.

i second that,really enjoyed watching this,going to catch up on some of these films over the weekend.give yourself a gold star.

Pardon me, I know not better, but I'm curious: how did Morrissey actually see all these classic films like "Women in Revolt" in 70s-Manchester? Was there an opportunity to catch screenings at small cinemas? Or was he simply fond of the images? I can't imagine this stuff was shown on television then (or now).

How did M ever get to see all these classics in his Manchester youth? It's not that likely they were shown on television back then - Andy Warhol films and all?

How did M ever get to see all these classics in his Manchester youth? It's not that likely they were shown on television back then - Andy Warhol films and all?

Renting the tapes from the library, most likely? His Mum was a librarian after all, and quite the culture-vulture...she introduced him to the work of Wilde when he was about 12 and 'converted' him to vegetarianism in the same period, so I imagine she had quite an influence on his appreciation of literature/cinema?

Renting the tapes from the library, most likely? His Mum was a librarian after all, and quite the culture-vulture...she introduced him to the work of Wilde when he was about 12 and 'converted' him to vegetarianism in the same period, so I imagine she had quite an influence on his appreciation of literature/cinema?

VHS didn't become popular until the mid 80s, and I doubt libraries would have even stocked videos until at least the 90s..

Pardon me, I know not better, but I'm curious: how did Morrissey actually see all these classic films like "Women in Revolt" in 70s-Manchester? Was there an opportunity to catch screenings at small cinemas? Or was he simply fond of the images? I can't imagine this stuff was shown on television then (or now).

I've often wondered this myself.
VCR's were almost unheard of pre 1982, and I don't think obscure art house films would have been released on video tape until several years later, unless he acquired them 'under the counter'. Perhaps it was just the imagery from film books which he latched onto?
Does anyone actually know the answer to this?

How about someone just ask him next time he passes the microphone to the crowed at one of his future concerts. Or maybe we can get one his future interviewers to ask him.

Tags
candy darling east of eden james dean the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom