The Smiths File - Proposed New Smiths Book

Jack Barrett

Since October 2009 I have had a book deal in development with the UK publisher Omnibus Press. The book is titled The Smiths File - a collection of facsmilies of original music press items taken from various rock and pop publications, including Melody Maker, New Musical Express, Sounds, Record Mirror and Rolling Stone. The book tells the story of The Smiths through the pages of the rock music press, and it is very much intended as a celebration of the group. Journalist, broadcaster and Smiths supporter Len Brown has kindly agreed to contribute the foreword. Tony Fletcher, author of the upcoming Smiths biography A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of The Smiths and owner of Jamming! magazine, has also lent his support to the project. Regretably Omnibus Press has declined to publish the book, and instead will consider putting out an expanded re-issue of a previously published Smiths book title to compete with Mr Fletcher's biography. So the hunt for a new publisher begins. Permissions for the use of all material earmarked for the Smiths File book (excepting the photographs) has been granted by either the relevant publishing company or the individual writer. The support, interest and enthusiasm I have received from the writers has been overwhelming; and it is my belief that The Smiths File will be a popular item among fans of the group. My plan is to have The Smiths File on the shelves within a year of securing a publishing deal. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Jack Barrett

I wouldn't have the first clue on how to go about getting this published, but good luck, I would buy this without a shadow of a doubt

Good luck with that. Make sure you put all the Smash Hits stuff in there, I also prefer all the trivial bits from teen magazines...there's acres of boring stuff from the NME and so on and although it can be interesting I think most people read that stuff already.

I haven't considered much Smash Hits/ No. 1 material for the book, although some of it proved impossible to clear. Since I put the book together, I've been able to date some of these items so I may reconsider once I secure a contract with a publisher. There's a fair bit of material from Record Mirror in there though - which I always found very colourful - as well as items from American and New Zealand publications. Tony Fletcher has agreed to cooperate, so a couple of articles from Jamming! may well make an appearance. Obviously the book will include items from Melody Maker and NME. But I've tried to show as broad a perspective as possible by including material from a wide range of pop and rock publications.

"Omnibus Press has declined to publish the book, and instead will consider putting out an expanded re-issue of a previously published Smiths book title to compete with Mr Fletcher's biography"

Ah! That means a revised Severed Alliance, then.

I'm very old, and no longer rush to buy pop music-related items (my meager income goes toward adult diapers and denture adhesive), however this Smiths File thing interests me. I wouldn't buy another Severed Alliance...I never bought the first one, it was foisted upon me and I got rid of it.

Seems like the hassle would be the permissions, and if you've got those, a sensible publisher should go ahead and make it available. In fact, I'd make it a Part I and try and work on all of the Smash Hits stuff for a Part II.

On nice paper, please.

I'm very old, and no longer rush to buy pop music-related items (my meager income goes toward adult diapers and denture adhesive), however this Smiths File thing interests me. I wouldn't buy another Severed Alliance...I never bought the first one, it was foisted upon me and I got rid of it.

Seems like the hassle would be the permissions, and if you've got those, a sensible publisher should go ahead and make it available. In fact, I'd make it a Part I and try and work on all of the Smash Hits stuff for a Part II.

On nice paper, please.

Lovely comments, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom