The Smiths' drummer opens up ahead of Wolverhampton date

The Smiths' drummer opens up ahead of Wolverhampton date - Express & Star
By Tom Oakley

Excerpt:

Two years on after splitting up, they returned without guitarist Johnny Marr for what would be an unofficial Smiths farewell gig – and Moz’s first solo show.

With Craig Gannon (known as the fifth Smith) filling in on guitar, entry to the night was free to fans wearing a Smiths shirt and only half of those who travelled actually made it inside the venue.

“Me and Morrissey had discussed a concert but decided it shouldn’t be a Smiths one because Johnny wasn't there. So we decided to play his solo stuff and there were Smiths songs we’d never played live before, said Joyce.

“It was a one-off gig and free to get in with a Smiths shirt on but it was chaos. Maybe not on the level of Beatlemania but I found it quite disconcerting. I didn’t really embrace it.

“It was so chaotic and leads were being pulled out but it was still a good gig anyway. It’s [Wolverhampton] always treated me well. It reminds me of Glasgow - you didn’t have a bad gig there and the crowd was always up for it. Playing a DJ set its going to be a party and you want people like that there.”

40440_joyce_mancity.jpg

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
What an asshole. "Not Beatlemania..." f*** The Beatles.

Johnny Marr would disagree with you.

The Beatles influenced Hand In Glove, Headmaster Ritual, Death of a Disco Dancer and Marr would incorporate elements of Day Tripper into some live versions of Jeane. Loved of the Loved written by Lennon and McCartney would be the Smiths introductory song when playing live until it was replaced by Prokoviev's 'March Of The Capulets'.

According to Simon Goddard regarding 'Strangeways, Here We Come' Marr 'for inspiration Marr drew from The Beatle's White Album, his main Strangeways muse.'

Marr says of George: “George Harrison has always been one of my favorite guitar players, and his approach to the song and creating little parts and moments in records is more something that I can relate to, and along the lines of how I see myself, sure."

The Beatles influenced Hand In Glove, Headmaster Ritual, Death of a Disco Dancer and Marr would incorporate elements of Day Tripper into some live versions of Jeane. Loved of the Loved written by Lennon and McCartney would be the Smiths introductory song when playing live until it was replaced by Prokoviev's 'March Of The Capulets'.

According to Simon Goddard regarding 'Strangeways, Here We Come' Marr 'for inspiration Marr drew from The Beatle's White Album, his main Strangeways muse.'

Marr says of George: “George Harrison has always been one of my favorite guitar players, and his approach to the song and creating little parts and moments in records is more something that I can relate to, and along the lines of how I see myself, sure."

f*** Johnny Marr and f*** The Smiths. I'm a Morrissey fan, hence, MORRISSEY-SOLO.com. But thanks for the information, that's nice. John Lennon was the only interesting Beatle.

morrissey-bitch-please.gif

The last time I was in Glasgow was at Moz in The Barrowlands in 2002 for an amazing concert. Local scumbags spat on us as we queued. Unfortunately I didn't have a stanley knife on me so I couldn't give him a 'Glasgow Smile' in return for his inbred DNA. :eek:
I'd say the c*** who threw a pint of beer on Moz that night was a local too.
Whoaaaahh ACTON! Bad day at the office? The passion, the fire....the vitriol......it's almost like the old ACTON.

I like it.

Once you've sued Moz it should eliminate you from talking about Moz.

Other than "give us your money"!

f*** off. Wanker.

Once you've sued Moz it should eliminate you from talking about Moz.

Other than "give us your money"!

f*** off. Wanker.

That's true. It's kind of cinic having caused such a distress to someone and later feigning concern about that person.

Mike has a fine head of hair on him. Methinks he bears an uncanny resemblance to Stripe from Gremlins.
dcf1b2d1381804210e145f721306b909--kid-movies-movies-to-watch.jpg

giphy.gif

You should learn how to quote a post properly. Tip: type your reply outside the quoted post. :)

this whole allotment thing is baffling. what if someone steals your vegetables?

also, did anyone else notice that mike seems to be one of those odd cases where the person becomes more attractive as he gets older?

also, did anyone else notice that mike seems to be one of those odd cases where the person becomes more attractive as he gets older?

Loads and loads of sex and some accidents called kids.

Great drum kit Mike

Jukebox ''Come On City'' Jury :thumb:

As a United fan I actually agree. Seen some awful ones but that one is good in that I always respect people who manifest their support for something in every way they can.

The only downside of course is the fact that the club dropped that crest for another one so he needs to update it and I hope he will.

Yes, Mike Joyce - Still shagable. Now thats a shirt I want to catch. Also the original drummer of ABC looks awesome today and hes even older. Drums for Rod Stewart I think. I,d like to see them drum together. Awww yea baby. Come here baby. Could I get their nickers do you think? Peace. Moz is King.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom