The Smiths - Demos and Outtakes

The Seeker of Good Songs

anything new or noteworthy here?

R-10388986-1496497865-9584.jpeg.jpg

R-10388986-1496497894-8051.jpeg.jpg

from: http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-smiths-demos-and-outtakes-stuflac.html

lineage
Pro-Ject Speed Box II -> Music Hall MMF 7.1 Turntable -> Audio-Technica AT33EV MC Cartridge -> Zu Cable Oxyfuel Interconnects -> A.N.T. Kora 3T MC Limited Edition Phono Stage -> Zu Cable Oxyfuel Interconnects -> Creative SB X-Fi T HD -> Adobe Audition @ 24/96

Manual removal of click/pops
Converted to Flac w/ dBpoweramp

Warner Strategic Marketing considered releasing a limited edition 2-cd set of "The Very Best Of The Smiths" in 2001. The seven tracks from the second disc were sent to various people involved in the project. All seven are on this bootleg:

Reel Around The Fountain (final Troy Tate album version)
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (John Porter monitor mix)
This Night Has Opened My Eyes (studio version June 84)
Rusholme Ruffians (Electric version July 84)
Frankly Mr Shankly (Trumpet version november 85)
Is It Really So Strange (June 86 'single' version)
Paint A Vulgar Picture (monitor mix March 87)

A compilation of outtakes from the sessions for "The Queen Is Dead" was at some point sent to record company people for some sort of anniversary reissue of the album (25th I think). From this 18 track compilation, two songs made it on this bootleg:
The Queen Is Dead (full version)
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (take 1)
(plus of course Frankly which I've already mentioned above)

The rest are various demos.
Untitled 1 is called "I Misses You"
Untitled 2 is called "Heavy Track"
Both here are excerpts. The full versions are longer than that.

"Sheila Take A Bow" is the Porter version from January 1987
"Ask" is the pre-remix version

The rest are monitor mixes/demos for Strangeways.

This means that the makers of this bootleg have lots more in store that they could leak on more bootlegs. I hope this will push Warner to finally put out some sort of box set or the album reissues with unreleased material. Otherwise bootleggers will be making more compilations like these and eventually cut all the profits that the labels could be making.

The tracks (mono) were first leaked on this site in 2010.
Then came the Analog Loyalist remaster (stereo) version via 'Steve' at Smiths Torrents in 2011 - shared via DavidA and The Power of Independent Trucking site the same year.
(http://thepowerofindependenttrucking.blogspot.com/2011/01/mastered-smiths-stereo-demos-outtakes.html).
(Edit: forgot to mention the power of... site gives good detail about the significance of each track).
The version in your post appeared on ST in 2012 via DavidA and the Guitars101/T.U.B.E. site above have lifted the same wording etc with zero credit to any of the sources.
(http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3533)
The vinyl they all stem from:

Original Vinyl.jpg

The boot has surfaced many times since.
Obviously, it didn't get Warners to do anything much in terms of releasing more, but the tracks were finally out in the open and all involved deserve kudos for that.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom